Hi All, Im trying to create a simple download servlet and try to retrieve from a html link. Upon clicking the link I only get a black DownloadServlet.do page opened. Im trying to download the erp.pdf file which is placed direcly under the root directory.
Here's my servlet code:
web.xml description is as follows
the url link is :
Thanks in advance for you help.
[ September 28, 2008: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]
[ September 28, 2008: Message edited by: C Vivek ] [ September 28, 2008: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]
I think IE tries to get the file type from the URL, and gets confused if there isn't any. (I know, it should use the content type header, but for some reason it doesn't. That's IE for you.) Try to make the URL look like a PDF file URL by appending "&iehack=.pdf" to it. I've seen other software packages do that successfully.
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Im guilty of not looking around other threads before posting. Thought before anybody makes an effort to reply, I should inform ranchers that the problem is resolved. I just had to add content-dispostition in the reponse header.(which I found in one of the previous posts)
Thank you Javaranch!
Joined: Oct 03, 2004
Thanks Ulf!! That worked smoothly too.
I have just used content-disposition in the response header to allow a download in the application.
C Vivek wrote:Thanks Bear!
Changed the code accordingly.
I have different problem after using the "content-disposition: attachement" header.
The problem is after clicking the open button in the dialogue box, the adobe reader reports 'This file cannot be opened' error.
The browser I am using is IE6.
I have noticed the behaviour that the pdf file is stored inside the temporary intenet folder and it is getting deleted immediately after clicking on the open button.
I checked in many forums and the advice is to use "Cache-control: public","Cache-control: max-age=60".
But still it is not working for me.
And I hv tried many other combinations
like "Cache-control: private" and "Pragma: cache"
"Content-Type: application/pdf", "'Content-Length: file->size"
"Content-disposition: attachment; filename="'. file->filename"
"Expires: 0', 'Pragma: cache', 'Cache-Control: private"
But still it is not working. The application is running in Wesphere6.1
Please advice me some solution
I’ve looked at a lot of different solutions, and in my humble opinion Aspose is the way to go. Here’s the link: http://aspose.com