aspose file tools*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes ever happen to you? getting off your car- you get zapped with static electricity Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "ever happen to you? getting off your car- you get zapped with static electricity" Watch "ever happen to you? getting off your car- you get zapped with static electricity" New topic
Author

ever happen to you? getting off your car- you get zapped with static electricity

Shahfazal Mohammed
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 08, 2004
Posts: 41
Hey there-
This is been bothering me since very long now. Everytime I get off my car, I have this weird problem of static electricity zapping me when i touch the car door or anything metal. and when i try closing the door by pushign the window, there's this mild zapping when i touch the glass too (
can anyone suggest a cure?? *BZZZZZZ*


-peace.
R K Singh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 15, 2001
Posts: 5371
Originally posted by Shahfazal Mohammed:
Hey there-
This is been bothering me since very long now. Everytime I get off my car, I have this weird problem of static electricity zapping me when i touch the car door or anything metal. and when i try closing the door by pushign the window, there's this mild zapping when i touch the glass too (
can anyone suggest a cure?? *BZZZZZZ*

before touching any metal touch a wood, that will discharge your static elec.
Better you change the cover of your car seat and have something which is not made of plastic. Put cotton cover on your seat.
I dont which country you are, else in India, you get seat cover made of beads, which are good to give you massage while driving and as they are made of wood, you also dont get charged with static elec.
[ March 12, 2004: Message edited by: R K Singh ]

"Thanks to Indian media who has over the period of time swiped out intellectual taste from mass Indian population." - Chetan Parekh
Dmitry Melnik
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 18, 2003
Posts: 328
Keep contact with the metal body of your car while you are getting out of the seat.
Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 25, 2001
Posts: 1746
    
    2
DM: Keep contact with the metal body of your car while you are getting out of the seat.
Exactly. It's not too hard to train yourself to do this. I'm one of those extremely conductive people. If I don't touch the metal of the door on the way out of the car, I stand a good chance of getting zapped with a nice blue-white arc.
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff

Joined: Feb 05, 2001
Posts: 17250
    
    6

You know it is always good to hear that others have the same problem. With my old car I would get shocked everytime. In my newer car, this no longer happens.
Good Luck
Mark


Perfect World Programming, LLC - Two Laptop Bag - Tube Organizer
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way FAQ
Paul Stevens
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 17, 2001
Posts: 2823
Happens all the time.
Angela Poynton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 02, 2000
Posts: 3143
It could also be related to the carpet in your car and/or the material that the soles of your shoes are made from.


Pounding at a thick stone wall won't move it, sometimes, you need to step back to see the way around.
sever oon
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 08, 2004
Posts: 268
This is very common, and it is the cause of around 90% of gas station fires. People get out of their cars (mostly women, apparently--the overwhelming majority of guys tend to stay outside the car when filling the tank), grab the gas pump handle and throw a spark, and the fumes light up.
So DO grab the metal frame of your car when pulling yourself out of the seat when you're filling your tank...this is NO JOKE.
Otherwise, don't worry about it. A little shock every now and then can be fun, especially when applied to the nose or ear of an unsuspecting loved one.
sev
Richard Hawkes
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 28, 2003
Posts: 1340
Originally posted by Dmitry Melnik:
Keep contact with the metal body of your car while you are getting out of the seat.
Thanks for the tip I never thought to try that! I get zapped all the time, in shops, after taking off my coat etc. Winter is really dry in Korea and it got so bad in our office we bought some humidifiers.
Michael Morris
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 30, 2002
Posts: 3451
This isn't too common in my area where the relative humidity stays fairly high, but can be a real pain when you travel to dryer climes. The worst (well not really, causing a 1000 gallons of gasoline to explode would be the worst :roll: ) is when you get a drink and the it discharges from the water to your lips, youch!


Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Ernst F. Schumacher
Richard Hawkes
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 28, 2003
Posts: 1340
Originally posted by Michael Morris:
The worst (well not really, causing a 1000 gallons of gasoline to explode would be the worst :roll: ) is when you get a drink and the it discharges from the water to your lips, youch!
Back in England there's a pharmacy/toiletries supermarket chain called Boots. This is the worst place in town for static discharges. If I touched any fitting (even after a few steps) I'd get zapped. My girlfriend used to drag me around Boots most Saturdays, spending what seemed like hours buying "girly" stuff. My only amusement during these trips to "discharge hell" was to give her an occasional revenge peck on the lips. Zap!
Michael Morris
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 30, 2002
Posts: 3451
My only amusement during these trips to "discharge hell" was to give her an occasional revenge peck on the lips. Zap!
Wow, that jogged an old memory! When my wife and I were first married, she had a baby blue nightgown of some sort of very soft material. When the lights were off, it was like a light show. Blue-green sparks would fly all around anytime she moved. I assume it was static electricity causing it, but with newlyweds, who knows?
Richard Hawkes
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 28, 2003
Posts: 1340
Originally posted by Michael Morris:
When the lights were off, it was like a light show. Blue-green sparks would fly all around anytime she moved. I assume it was static electricity causing it, but with newlyweds, who knows?
That made me think of something too. When I was younger and living at home we kept the dryer in the garage. I used to bring in the laundry on winter nights and used to love grabbing the heavily charged clothes and waving it about making sparks in the dark! As you can imagine, those long winter evenings used to fly by ... I think I prefer your method
Anand Jayaraman
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 28, 2004
Posts: 104
It happens at work when I touch the monitor or the pillar I get this vey
R K Singh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 15, 2001
Posts: 5371
Originally posted by Anand Jayaraman:
It happens at work when I touch the monitor or the pillar I get this vey

check your carpet in the office ..
 
permaculture playing cards
 
subject: ever happen to you? getting off your car- you get zapped with static electricity