File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Educational qualifications of a MLA/MP Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Educational qualifications of a MLA/MP " Watch "Educational qualifications of a MLA/MP " New topic
Author

Educational qualifications of a MLA/MP

achit bhatnager
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 19, 2002
Posts: 50

Last couples of month�s especially last couple of days have seen a long debate on the issue of Mrs. Sonia Gandhi being a neutralized citizen of India. Issue is valid and should be debated at length but there is another issue (and a more important one), which no one seems to care about. What should be the educational qualifications of a Member of Parliament (MP) or Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA)?

You need to be a bachelor�s degree holder if you want to be a clerk in most of the government offices. Even that is not enough. You will need to go through the process of written exam. For higher post you need more qualifications and there is more stringent process. Logically you would assume you would have a more stringent qualifications and process for becoming MLA/MP or PM. Surprisingly we have none.

Since there are none, I�m proposing my own

1.Any aspiring MLA/MP or PM must be a graduate (in any stream).
2.In addition before contesting any election the candidate should undergo a course of two years in governance.
3. An Independent national Institute should conduct course. Course should be offered in all constitutionally recognized languages.

Requirement number 1 is required to make sure candidate has a minimum education.
Requirement number 2 is required to make sure candidate has an aptitude towards governance.
Requirement number 3 is required to make sure only the deserving candidates can clear the course.

This process will ensure that only qualified candidates will be able to contest the elections.

I would like to propose another requirement for becoming a MP or PM.
A candidate is qualified for becoming a MP only if he has/had a tenure as MLA.
A candidate is qualified for becoming a PM only if he has/had a tenure as MP.

This will ensure we do not give the ropes to a total novice to governance.
I don�t mind politics being played by illiterate politicians but I would rather have my Government run by professionals.


Your thoughts?


-----------------------------------<br />"Life is game,Cricket is serious."<br />-----------------------------------
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 10, 2001
Posts: 1934
In my opinion everyone who is qualified to vote(through being a citizen of India) should be qualified to contest for MLA or MP, provided they don't have outstanding prison sentences.

It is the people's choice to elect who is right for them(either a manmohan singh or a Laloo Yadav its upto them).

The contestability criteria should not be decided by educated lot(like we J2EE developers), rather by who ever dictate or write the constitution.
[ May 20, 2004: Message edited by: Kishore Dandu ]

Kishore
SCJP, blog
Mani Ram
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 11, 2002
Posts: 1140
Originally posted by achit bhatnager:

1. Any aspiring MLA/MP or PM must be a graduate (in any stream).


Thank God, it wasn't the case. Otherwise Tamilnadu would have missed the services of Kamaraj, the best Cheif Minister the state ever had


Mani
Quaerendo Invenietis
Arjun Shastry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 13, 2003
Posts: 1874
MLAs/MPs/senators etc,Constitution has not kept minimum educational qualification.Also one can contest from the jail under serious charges.Thats I think makers of constituion are right.
Managing the people,taking the right decision at right time and utlilising the state recources for good will and purity in public life are essential qualities that constiution expects from those serving public life.Education teaches you to read/write.How much do they teach about above things?Also good education not necessarily means person will take right decision and will be corruption free.If you see majority of scandals(defence etc) or any local corruption that goes in any Muncipal corporation,all involved people are engineers,builders,clerks,managers who ofcourse are graduates.
Person should not have any prison charges etc is fine.But police department(atleast in India) works under State department's Home Ministry.Home minister plays important role when people are arrested for political resaon.(MISA act was implemented by Indira Gandhi,and Vajpayee,Advani and many thousands were sent to jail in 1975)so again makers of constitution were right for allowing any person to contest an election based on minimu criteria of age.


MH
Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 22, 2001
Posts: 2578

Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:
[QB]
The contestability criteria should not be decided by educated lot(like we J2EE developers), rather by who ever dictate or write the constitution.[QB]


I don't think J2EE developers are in the right position to make such judgements. We might be highly educated technically, but what do we really understand about sociology or political science? I guess this job is best done by experts of that field. (BTW, one can vote at 18, but must be at least 35 before he's the president)

However, I believe that no book should be given a "holier than thou" or "untouchable" status. If we feel some part of constitution is dated, faulty or irrelevant in the conteporary society, we should encourage the process which facilitates changing it.

- Manish
Manish Hatwalne
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 22, 2001
Posts: 2578

Originally posted by Ram Abdullah D'Souza:
MLAs/MPs/senators etc,Constitution has not kept minimum educational qualification.Also one can contest from the jail under serious charges.Thats I think makers of constituion are right.
Managing the people,taking the right decision at right time and utlilising the state recources for good will and purity in public life are essential qualities that constiution expects from those serving public life.Education teaches you to read/write.How much do they teach about above things?Also good education not necessarily means person will take right decision and will be corruption free.If you see majority of scandals(defence etc) or any local corruption that goes in any Muncipal corporation,all involved people are engineers,builders,clerks,managers who ofcourse are graduates.
Person should not have any prison charges etc is fine.But police department(atleast in India) works under State department's Home Ministry.Home minister plays important role when people are arrested for political resaon.(MISA act was implemented by Indira Gandhi,and Vajpayee,Advani and many thousands were sent to jail in 1975)so again makers of constitution were right for allowing any person to contest an election based on minimu criteria of age.


Absolutely Right!!!
In fact Congress/Indira Gandhi was the worst offender of democracy during emergency. Read stuff published during those times, and you'd be amused at the atrocity shown by ppl in power during those times.

- Manish
Murasoli Maran
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 08, 2003
Posts: 193
Ho many books a person study to gain a degree?.Education is more tought from outside of the four walls of the collage and it have more meaning than certificates.Education is not only certificates.And knowledge is not limited to certificates also.Knowledge can be gained without certificates also.So certificate gathering is not only means of knowledge.

The people with certificates and without certificates having equal opportunity to become polititions.and one who have more ability will become more sucessfull.That's all.

Micheal angelo and Davinchi does'nt learn art from art schools.But their art works are the text books for "education".
achit bhatnager
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 19, 2002
Posts: 50

The contestability criteria should not be decided by educated lot(like we J2EE developers), rather by who ever dictate or write the constitution.


I'm not deciding.I'm asking for comments. And any right minded citizen should have the right to comment and influence who they want to see as their candidate.
 
wood burning stoves
 
subject: Educational qualifications of a MLA/MP