wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Beginning Java and the fly likes Trouble in compiling Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Beginning Java
Bookmark "Trouble in compiling" Watch "Trouble in compiling" New topic
Author

Trouble in compiling

minnie ravi
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 19, 2006
Posts: 8
hi, i've jus installed jdk1.5.0_07. it shows an error after compiling which is:
[I][I]'javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.[/I][/I]
i've changed the User variables to set the path. but again its not compiling. can anyone help me?
Keith Lynn
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 07, 2005
Posts: 2367
What did you change the PATH to?
Arun Maalik
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 25, 2005
Posts: 216
Helo sir you need to set classpath variable so that it can recognised javac.
suppose if U have installed jdk1.5 on c drive then your classpath as
set classpath=c:\jdk1.5\bin
then it should work i think

Arun kumar maalik
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal

Joined: Jul 08, 2003
Posts: 24183
    
  34

Originally posted by Arun Maalik:
Helo sir you need to set classpath variable


Not the CLASSPATH, which is used by Java to find *.class and *.jar files; but the PATH environment variable, which is used by the operating system to find programs like javac.


[Jess in Action][AskingGoodQuestions]
minnie ravi
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 19, 2006
Posts: 8
hi,i work on microsoft windows XP. i added the path as follows:

Settings-->Control Panel-->System-->Advanced-->Environment variables--> UserVariables-->Temp& tmp.
for both of these vaiables the variable value is given as:
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

i jus added the path on the right end as:

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_07\bin

still its not working. please help me..
Keith Lynn
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 07, 2005
Posts: 2367
If you type this directly, what happens?

c:\progra~1\java\jdk1.5.0_07\bin\javac
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14074
    
  16

Originally posted by minnie ravi:
hi,i work on microsoft windows XP. i added the path as follows:

Settings-->Control Panel-->System-->Advanced-->Environment variables--> UserVariables-->Temp& tmp.

You are setting the TEMP and TMP environment variables. That's not right. You should set the PATH environment variable.

Add ;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_07\bin to the PATH environment variable instead of to TEMP and TMP.


Java Beginners FAQ - JavaRanch SCJP FAQ - The Java Tutorial - Java SE 7 API documentation
Scala Notes - My blog about Scala
minnie ravi
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 19, 2006
Posts: 8
Originally posted by Jesper Young:

You are setting the TEMP and TMP environment variables. That's not right. You should set the PATH environment variable.

Add ;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_07\bin to the PATH environment variable instead of to TEMP and TMP.


hi sir, where can i find this PATH environment variable? shoul i create a new User Variable named PATH? thank you so much for taking the time to clear my doubts.
Jan-Jaap van Nieuwkerk
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 03, 2006
Posts: 11
Hi Minnie,

instead of
Settings-->Control Panel-->System-->Advanced-->Environment variables--> UserVariables-->Temp& tmp.

You should use

Settings-->Control Panel-->System-->Advanced-->Environment variables--> UserVariables-->path

This variable should be in the same list as TEMP that is shown.
If it does not exist (which i doubt) add the variable PATH and enter
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_07\bin as the value
Hope this helps.
minnie ravi
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 19, 2006
Posts: 8
Originally posted by Jan-Jaap van Nieuwkerk:
Hi Minnie,

instead of
Settings-->Control Panel-->System-->Advanced-->Environment variables--> UserVariables-->Temp& tmp.

You should use

Settings-->Control Panel-->System-->Advanced-->Environment variables--> UserVariables-->path

This variable should be in the same list as TEMP that is shown.
If it does not exist (which i doubt) add the variable PATH and enter
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_07\bin as the value
Hope this helps.


hi sir, still its not working. but i could compile the program using TestPad. thank you all for taking the time to clear my doubt..
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Trouble in compiling
 
Similar Threads
Sun BINGO Example
Is there an IDE that allows code to be changed on the fly?
Console funny
Class using Main without declaring itself Public
Can java classes without class definition be compiled?