This week's book giveaway is in the Performance forum.
We're giving away four copies of The Java Performance Companion and have Charlie Hunt, Monica Beckwith, Poonam Parhar, & Bengt Rutisson on-line!
See this thread for details.
Win a copy of The Java Performance Companion this week in the Performance forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

SUN JDK version for AIX server

 
trupti nigam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 627
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Is there any SUN JDK available to plugin to AIX server. I have a application which runs only on sun JDK. But we are using AIX server. Hence would like to know if there is any SUN JDK version aavailable that supports AIX?

I googled on this but not much luck. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Trupti
 
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 24211
35
Chrome Eclipse IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
No, of course not. Sun doesn't ship Java for AIX. But of course IBM does.

In any case, there's no such thing as an application that "runs only on Sun's JDK." There may be some Java implementations your app won't run on, but in general, IBM's JDKs are very compatible with Sun's implementation.
 
trupti nigam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 627
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ok my mistake. When I said the application runs only on sun JDK I mean it supports mainly SUN JDK.
Basically The app runs fine on widows platform but on AIX I am getting some noClassDefFound error.
I was thinking about including the some of the classes from SUN jdk in the classpath.

Thanks,
Trupti

Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
No, of course not. Sun doesn't ship Java for AIX. But of course IBM does.

In any case, there's no such thing as an application that "runs only on Sun's JDK." There may be some Java implementations your app won't run on, but in general, IBM's JDKs are very compatible with Sun's implementation.
 
Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff
Posts: 18671
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
[EFH]: In any case, there's no such thing as an application that "runs only on Sun's JDK."

Well, there could be such a thing (e.g. if someone's directly using the com.sun classes), but I don't think there's any good reason why there should be.

[trupti]: The app runs fine on widows platform but on AIX I am getting some noClassDefFound error.

What are some of the classes that can't be located?
 
trupti nigam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 627
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Jim Yingst:
[EFH]: In any case, there's no such thing as an application that "runs only on Sun's JDK."

Well, there could be such a thing (e.g. if someone's directly using the com.sun classes), but I don't think there's any good reason why there should be.

[trupti]: The app runs fine on widows platform but on AIX I am getting some noClassDefFound error.

What are some of the classes that can't be located?


Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/net/ssl/internal/ssl/Provider

I just verified the app directly uses this class (like com.sun ..)

Thanks,
Trupti
 
Henry Wong
author
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 21195
81
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by trupti nigam:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/net/ssl/internal/ssl/Provider

I just verified the app directly uses this class (like com.sun ..)

Thanks,
Trupti


Unfortunately, this is a common problem with many older software packages -- they incorrectly just use the Sun security classes for SSL. The correct way to do this is to use the "security.provider" properties which is set to different values with the IBM JVM.

If this is the problem, then you are out of luck -- without the source to the library, you have to use Sun JDK.

These properties are set in the "jre/lib/security/java.security" property file. If you happen to have the source, check the file to see what classes you should use and hack it -- or fix the library to use the property.


EDIT: Sorry, did read your response clearly. You do have the source. Anyway, you can quickly change the code to use the classes specified in the security file -- or read the property so that it will run on both Sun and IBM correctly.

Henry
[ December 20, 2006: Message edited by: Henry Wong ]
 
bvijay balan
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I want to install sun JDK 1.5.0_11 in AIX 5.3 server. But I don�t know how to install.

Can anybody let me know the download link and how to install procedure?

I have downloaded the sun jdk 1.5.0_11 from Archive: Download Java 2 Platform Standard Edition (J2SE) 5.0 Update 11 site for Linux version.

I thought if I download Linux version JDK means; it will work in AIX 5.3.

But while installation it is throwing the following error.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
For inquiries please contact: Sun Microsystems, Inc., 4150
Network Circle, Santa Clara, California 95054, U.S.A.
(LFI#143333/Form ID#011801)

Do you agree to the above license terms? [yes or no]
yes
Unpacking...
Checksumming...
0
0
Extracting...
./jdk-1_5_0_11-linux-amd64-rpm.bin: ./install.sfx.753908: 0403-006 Execute permission denied.

Done.
bash-3.00#

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Can any body help me on this..
 
Joanne Neal
Rancher
Posts: 3742
16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Don't ask the same question multiple times, especially when the answer had already been given in the first reply to this thread.
[ November 18, 2008: Message edited by: Joanne Neal ]
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic