wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Can Yahoo do this??? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Can Yahoo do this???" Watch "Can Yahoo do this???" New topic
Author

Can Yahoo do this???

Bhiku Mhatre
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 08, 2002
Posts: 127
Hello all,
Just to feed my curiosity, I changed my system date back to 8 months and made it 18-January-2005. Then I sent 3 mails from outlook to my yahoo and hotmail account.
To my surprise, yahoo showed the date, what was on my computer (18-January-2005). This is unbelivable for me.

Any thoughts..

Regards,
Bhiku..


The difference between winner and loser is making things happen and letting things happen.
trupti nigam
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 21, 2001
Posts: 613
I tried the same thing from my machine. But for me yahoo showed today's date i.e. 8/18/05..
Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 16, 2004
Posts: 3636
When you send any mails from Outlook it goes via out going SMTP server that you have specified in the Account Configuration option.

All outgoing mails will have time stamp as per the date�time setting of your out going SMTP server.

I don�t know whether Yahoo offer this facility or not, but check the Send Date and Receive Date of mails.

If I am not wrong, Send Date will have date-time of your out going SMTP server and Received Date of Yahoo�s incoming server.

And if I am not wrong, just change the date of your system, now send mail from yahoo to hotmail and hotmail to yahoo. Both will have respective server's timestamp at recieving end.
[ August 18, 2005: Message edited by: Chetan Parekh ]

My blood is tested +ve for Java.
Bhiku Mhatre
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 08, 2002
Posts: 127
Originally posted by Chetan Parekh:
When you send any mails from Outlook it goes via out going SMTP server that you have specified in the Account Configuration option.

All outgoing mails will have time stamp as per the date�time setting of your out going SMTP server.

I don�t know whether Yahoo offer this facility or not, but check the Send Date and Receive Date of mails.

If I am not wrong, Send Date will have date-time of your out going SMTP server and Received Date of Yahoo�s incoming server.

And if I am not wrong, just change the date of your system, now send mail from yahoo to hotmail and hotmail to yahoo. Both will have respective server's timestamp at recieving end.

[ August 18, 2005: Message edited by: Chetan Parekh ]


All is understood. But I sent the mail to hotmail, yahoo and my company account. Hotmail and my company account receives it with correct date(todays) but yahoo faulters. The date on the SMTP server is undoubtedly correct. I changed the date only on local system. The server date is adjusted to some special clock(just lost the name) in Europe.
About yahoo -- hotmail communication, the local system date is ignored anyway.

Regards,
Bhiku..
Jiang Xiaofeng
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Posts: 25
Originally posted by Bhiku Mhatre:
The difference between winner and looser is making things happen and letting things happen.


OFF-TOPIC: Your signature should be: "The difference between winner and loser is making things happen and letting things happen." Looser has a different meaning than loser. You want "loser."
Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Posts: 2053
once my pc has 1 day ahead date. i sent an email using outlook express. and it used the wrong 1-day-ahead date.
Bhiku Mhatre
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 08, 2002
Posts: 127
Originally posted by Jiang Xiaofeng:


OFF-TOPIC: Your signature should be: "The difference between winner and loser is making things happen and letting things happen." Looser has a different meaning than loser. You want "loser."


You are right. Just changed it. Thanks for the info.
Ryan McGuire
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 18, 2005
Posts: 1007
    
    3
Originally posted by Bhiku Mhatre:


You are right. Just changed it. Thanks for the info.


Good work, Jiang! Way to make things happen!

Marc Peabody
pie sneak
Sheriff

Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Posts: 4727

Originally posted by Jesus Angeles:
once my pc has 1 day ahead date. i sent an email using outlook express. and it used the wrong 1-day-ahead date.

Did it go something like this?
-------------------
Dear Jesus,

Hello. I am you from 1 day in the future. I have discovered time travel via email. I must warn you: avoid eating clams tonight and stay away from anyone named Kiki. Also, alcohol is more flammable than you think.

I think that covers just about everything. Cheers!

Sincerely yours,
Jesus
--------------------


A good workman is known by his tools.
 
jQuery in Action, 2nd edition
 
subject: Can Yahoo do this???