aspose file tools*
The moose likes IDEs, Version Control and other tools and the fly likes Java EE 5 Development with NetBeans 6 Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » IDEs, Version Control and other tools
Bookmark "Java EE 5 Development with NetBeans 6" Watch "Java EE 5 Development with NetBeans 6" New topic
Author

Java EE 5 Development with NetBeans 6

Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 20, 2006
Posts: 3344

Hi David,

Its nice to see the book on Netbeans.

Does this book help the Netbeans 5/5.5 Users as well? I meant to ask the IDE-wise improvements (to name a few, the shortcuts, accessibilities of certain functionalities etc). Though we can get it from Netbeans Wiki, just had a thought.

Thank you.


Everything has got its own deadline including one's EGO!
[CodeBarn] [Java Concepts-easily] [Corey's articles] [SCJP-SUN] [Servlet Examples] [Java Beginners FAQ] [Sun-Java Tutorials] [Java Coding Guidelines]
Dibbo Khan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 19, 2004
Posts: 147
Netbeans 6 seems to be a dramatic improvement over the earlier pre Netbeans 5 Java IDES.

However is this IDE optimised for the Web apis of Java EE, is Netbeans 6 particularly good for EJB 3 development???


MCPD (Enterprise Application Developer, Windows Developer, Web Developer - .NET 2.0), MCTS (Windows Apps, Web Apps and Disbributed Applications - .NET 2.0), MCITP (Database Developer & Business Intelligence Developer - SQL Server 2005), MCAD, MSCD.net, SCJP 5, SCWCD 1.4, SCBCD, SCMAD, SCDJWS, SCJA
Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 20, 2006
Posts: 3344

Originally posted by Dibbo Khan:
Netbeans 6 seems to be a dramatic improvement over the earlier pre Netbeans 5 Java IDES.

However is this IDE optimised for the Web apis of Java EE, is Netbeans 6 particularly good for EJB 3 development???


Yes Dibbo. I agree.

For your query, it should definitely be supporting EJB 3 as that of Java EE support.
abu alfouz
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 20, 2006
Posts: 44
Thank you David,

I didn't see the book, but I hope it is good.

I always need such book, these days I need it special for EJB and version control.

Regards.


SCJP 1.5
SCWCD 1.4
David Heffelfinger
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 08, 2004
Posts: 176
Originally posted by Raghavan Muthu:
Hi David,

Its nice to see the book on Netbeans.

Does this book help the Netbeans 5/5.5 Users as well? I meant to ask the IDE-wise improvements (to name a few, the shortcuts, accessibilities of certain functionalities etc). Though we can get it from Netbeans Wiki, just had a thought.

Thank you.


The book focuses on NetBeans 6, the examples were created with nightly builds of NetBeans 6.5, to make sure the latest features introduced in that verstion were covered.

David


Author, <a href="http://www.packtpub.com/java-ee5-development-with-netbeans-6" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Java EE 5 Development with NetBeans 6</a>
Michael Cohen
Greenhorn

Joined: Oct 16, 2008
Posts: 4
So what is this book geared to? What audience are you writing to? And if I'm a beginner to intermediate Java developer will this book be over my head or address my questions appropriately ?
Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 20, 2006
Posts: 3344

Originally posted by David Heffelfinger:


The book focuses on NetBeans 6, the examples were created with nightly builds of NetBeans 6.5, to make sure the latest features introduced in that verstion were covered.

David


Thank you David!
David Heffelfinger
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 08, 2004
Posts: 176
Originally posted by Dibbo Khan:
Netbeans 6 seems to be a dramatic improvement over the earlier pre Netbeans 5 Java IDES.

However is this IDE optimised for the Web apis of Java EE, is Netbeans 6 particularly good for EJB 3 development???


NetBeans supports EJB 3 development very well. For example, when adding a method to an EJB, this method is automatically added to its local and/or remote interface.

Additionally, NetBeans can generate stateless session beans that act as DAOs for existing JPA entities.

David
Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 20, 2006
Posts: 3344

Originally posted by Michael Cohen:
So what is this book geared to? What audience are you writing to? And if I'm a beginner to intermediate Java developer will this book be over my head or address my questions appropriately ?


Howdy Michael Cohen,

Welcome to JavaRanch.

You can start a separate thread if your post should be eligible for the drawing! . Please read the Book Promotions FAQ for more info.
Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 20, 2006
Posts: 3344

Originally posted by David Heffelfinger:


NetBeans supports EJB 3 development very well. For example, when adding a method to an EJB, this method is automatically added to its local and/or remote interface.

Additionally, NetBeans can generate stateless session beans that act as DAOs for existing JPA entities.

David


That's a fantastic feature David!
David Heffelfinger
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 08, 2004
Posts: 176
Originally posted by Michael Cohen:
So what is this book geared to? What audience are you writing to? And if I'm a beginner to intermediate Java developer will this book be over my head or address my questions appropriately ?


The book is geared to developers who would like to develop Java EE 5 applications using NetBeans. Some Java experience is assumed, however Java EE or J2EE experience is not necessary.

The target market for the book includes:
  • Java developers with no Java EE experience
  • Java developers experienced with Java EE that would like to learn how NetBeans can make their job easier.


  • Previous NetBeans experience is not necessary.

    David
     
    I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
     
    subject: Java EE 5 Development with NetBeans 6