I deployed a small application using Struts 1.3.8 to a glassfish v2 server at my local machine (Windows Vista x64). I experience a nasty encoding problem. My application should be unicode capable, but as it seems special characters (like German umlauts) get encoded wrongly. Debugging shows that a form parameter like "H�" is wrong when I check the form in the action. Where between the user's entry at the page and the action can characters become "misencoded"?
UTF-8 most certainly does support umlauts, and a whole range of other language scripts. If Glassfish is anything like Tomcat, then you will need to add a character set filter, otherwise the data will be treated as ISO-8859-1 and you will have all sorts of corruption. One you add to your project is documented here:
A simple test to know whether your application is handling UTF-8 correctly is to pass some Chinese characters and see they don't come through corrupted. Here is the Babelfish translation for 'hello world' which you can use:
An indication that you are using UTF-8 correctly is that a) the characters are not corruped, b) type values aren't being used. [ November 27, 2008: Message edited by: Andr�-John Mas ]