aspose file tools*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Attention Maryland (US) Residents Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Attention Maryland (US) Residents" Watch "Attention Maryland (US) Residents" New topic
Author

Attention Maryland (US) Residents

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal

Joined: Jul 08, 2003
Posts: 24187
    
  34

STOP DRIVING LIKE IDIOTS!

Thanks.


[Jess in Action][AskingGoodQuestions]
Aj Mathia
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 11, 2003
Posts: 478
Did you have a bad experience?


You think you know me .... You will never know me ... You know only what I let you know ... You are just a puppet ... --CMG
David O'Meara
Rancher

Joined: Mar 06, 2001
Posts: 13459

JR Public Service Announcement?
Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 16, 2004
Posts: 3636
Be the change that you want to see in the world
-Mahatma Gandi

[ December 12, 2005: Message edited by: Chetan Parekh ]

My blood is tested +ve for Java.
Aj Mathia
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 11, 2003
Posts: 478
Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
STOP DRIVING LIKE IDIOTS!

Thanks.


and
IDIOTS STOP DRIVING!

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff

Joined: Jan 30, 2000
Posts: 18671
I think it's unfairly exclusionary to direct this message to Maryland residents only. I'm certain there are many in other areas who could benefit from it as well.


"I'm not back." - Bill Harding, Twister
David O'Meara
Rancher

Joined: Mar 06, 2001
Posts: 13459

True, but I'm not sure ubb can support two threads the size of WA #1
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61648
    
  67



[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Scott Selikoff
author
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Oct 23, 2005
Posts: 3716
    
    5

PA drivers drive like are all on cell phones constantly... being from NJ I want to hit them all...

some examples...

1) On a two-line road, trying to pull into a parking spot or McDonalds from the inner lane by cutting across two lanes at once. Is that large fry worth causing an accident?

2) Refusing to understand that at traffic lights, the person going straight has the right of way before a person turning left (I see this one broken 4+ times a day)

3) Not noticing the difference between "Enter" and "Exit" signs especially on one-way roads. I once saw a guy pull 3/4 of the way up on an-ramp going the wrong way only to have to drive in reverse when someone came down it.

4) GOING SLOW IN THE FAST LANE. The left lane is not the slow lane.

Thats all I have now... but the list is much longer. Death to all PA drivers says the man from NJ.
[ December 13, 2005: Message edited by: Scott Selikoff ]

My Blog: Down Home Country Coding with Scott Selikoff
Eric Pascarello
author
Rancher

Joined: Nov 08, 2001
Posts: 15376
    
    6
EFH,

I been thinking of that since I started the beltway madness.
I love how my drive can take anywhere from 35 minutes to 2 hours. I love watching people change lanes back and forth in the traffic and I end up passing them by staying in one lane.

Eric
Ryan McGuire
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 18, 2005
Posts: 1012
    
    3
Originally posted by Scott Selikoff:
PA drivers drive like are all on cell phones constantly... being from NJ I want to hit them all...


I would like to take this opportunity to compliment NJ drivers. I vistited some friends there and had a number of opportunities to get a feel for drivers in that state.

At first, the small window of opportunity NJ drivers need to pull out from a parking lot into traffic reminded me a lot of OH drivers. However the NJ drivers would then speed up to normal traffic speeds. OH drivers, on the other hand, have this annoying practice of pulling into traffic and then going about half the speed as everyone else (including/especially the cars now behind them).

(BTW, I learned to drive around Rochester, NY, and of course we all do the right thing in all situations.)

In summary:
NJ drivers: Maniacs trying to get somewhere (good)
OH drivers: Maniacs without a clue (bad, verging on dangerous)
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal

Joined: Jul 08, 2003
Posts: 24187
    
  34

Originally posted by Ryan McGuire:

OH drivers: Maniacs without a clue (bad, verging on dangerous)


"Maniacs not really trying to get anywhere" is actually an excellent description of the Marylanders I was addressing. People will speed up and attempt to kill you and themselves by cutting you off, just to be in front of you, due to the almost unimaginable -- and yet utterly false and hollow -- sense of self-importance that comes with being, being married to, being the secret girlfriend of, being the child of, the illegitimate child of, or the dog-walker of, a ludicrously overpaid Washington lawyer. 99.98% of the residents in my area fit in this category.

But once they're in front of you, they're likely to slow down to less than you were going in the first place -- because, after all, bloodsucking leeches and their toadies and progeny, legitimate or otherwise, don't really need to be anywhere at any particular time.
Jesse Torres
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 25, 2004
Posts: 985
Is there a difference between the rudest and most dangerous drivers?
http://www.nursezone.com/away/TravelforFun.asp?articleID=10767
Scott Selikoff
author
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Oct 23, 2005
Posts: 3716
    
    5

Originally posted by Ryan McGuire:
NJ drivers: Maniacs trying to get somewhere (good)
OH drivers: Maniacs without a clue (bad, verging on dangerous)


Yeah, you can *always* count on a NJ driver to cut you off, or overtake traffic coming out of a parking lot, whereas PA drivers and many other states are completely unpredictable. They will cut you off at 75 mph, then slow down to 45 mph for no reason, whereas the NJ driver hits 75 regardless of locale.

Originally posted by Jesse Torres:
Is there a difference between the rudest and most dangerous drivers?


I think rudeness comes from cell phones. I talk on my cell all the time, constantly when I drive in fact. Hands free or not, I still drive like I'm from NJ. I don't slow down randomly and I don't veer between lanes unexpectedly. Sadly, most of the worst drives I see are holding cell phones, especially the ones doing 45 mph in the 'fast' lane. I wouldn't mind outlawing cell phones all together in cars (hands free or not) if it meant getting these idiots off the road.
Scott Selikoff
author
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Oct 23, 2005
Posts: 3716
    
    5

Actually I forgot to mention the other class of worst drivers, those that don't understand 'right of way'. These are the ones that single-handedly create traffic jams and grind traffic to a hault by letting people in and out when they shouldn't.

You shouldn't stop a line of 20 cars to let a guy turn left when he should be the one waiting for you. At the very least you do it quickly, but most of the time when I see people doing something like this they sit around and take 10 minutes to do it.
Ryan McGuire
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 18, 2005
Posts: 1012
    
    3
On a different note, I'd like to point some of the nicest drivers. In both Nashville, TN and Lahaina, HA I've put on my turn signal to change lanes and the driver behind me in the other lane did NOT speed up to cut me off.

It was beautiful, man.
Roger Johnson
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 24, 2004
Posts: 311
i am sure your intention is good. however, in a java forum, making public shout like this, make me wondering what kind of driver you are.



Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
STOP DRIVING LIKE IDIOTS!

Thanks.
Dave Lenton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 20, 2005
Posts: 1241
Originally posted by Scott Selikoff:
Actually I forgot to mention the other class of worst drivers, those that don't understand 'right of way'.
I get quite annoyed by those drivers who, in their petrol-biased arrogance, assume that the concept of "right of way" only applies to vehicles and not to pedestrians.

Its so annoying how often I've been half way across a pedestrian crossing (the type where I have right of way, and drivers have to stop if I am on the crossing) and had a car steam in front of me, with the driver happily singing away without even paying any attention to the fact that I've just had to leap backwards to avoid having my feet looking like they should belong to a clown.

The problem is that so many of our cities are focussed around making things nice for cars, instead of making things nice for people. Seems a bit backwards to me.


There will be glitches in my transition from being a saloon bar sage to a world statesman. - Tony Banks
Dave Lenton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 20, 2005
Posts: 1241
Originally posted by Ryan McGuire:
On a different note, I'd like to point some of the nicest drivers.
I reluctantly agree, its not all bad. Whenever I leave London and head out of civilisation, I realise how crazy London drivers are. In other parts of the country they actually give way when they should, and some of them actually thank you when you let them through. This is a bit of an alien concept in London.

Some can take it a bit too far though - head into the countryside on a weekend in England and soon enough you're bound to get stuck behind someone who insists on following all the speed limits, and better still drives at 20mph under the limit. I'm not sure what's worse - a near death experience from an idiot driving at 90mph, or stuck in a 20 car queue behind someone doing 40 in a 60 zone.
R K Singh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 15, 2001
Posts: 5371
Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
STOP DRIVING LIKE IDIOTS!


Driving Styles ...
One hand on steering wheel,one hand out of window.
- Sydney

One hand on steering wheel,one hand on horn
- Japan

One hand on steering wheel,one hand on newspaper, foot solidly on accelerator...
- Boston

Both hands on steering wheel, eyes shut, both feet on brake, quivering in terror
- New York

Both hands in air, gesturing, both feet on accelerator, head turned to talk to someone in back seat
- Italy

One hand on horn,
one hand on holding gear,
one ear listening to loud music,
one ear on cell phone,
one foot on accelerator,
one foot on clutch,
nothing on brake,
eyes on females in the next car,
- Welcome to INDIA!


"Thanks to Indian media who has over the period of time swiped out intellectual taste from mass Indian population." - Chetan Parekh
Ganpi Srinivasan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 17, 2005
Posts: 160
you might be a NJ driver if:

�Turn signals will give away your next move. A real New Jersey driver never uses them.
�Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you,or the space will be filled in by somebody else putting you in an even more dangerous situation.
�Crossing two or more lanes in a single lane-change is considered going with the flow.
�The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.
�Never, ever come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will inevitably result in you being rear ended. If you want your insurance company to pay for a new rear bumper, come to a complete stop at all stop signs.
�A right lane construction closure is just a game to see how many people can cut in line by passing you on the right as you sit in the left lane waiting for the same jerks to squeeze their way back in before hitting the orange construction barrels.
�Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive bodywork. New Jersey is a no-fault insurance state and the other guy doesn't have anything to lose.
�Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to stretch your legs.
�Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right. It's a good way to scare people entering the highway.
�Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as suggestions and are apparently not enforceable in New Jersey during rush hour.
�Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that a New Jersey driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn't think he can go faster in your spot.
�Please remember that there is no such thing as a shortcut during rush-hour traffic in New Jersey.
�Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire.
�Learn to swerve abruptly. New Jersey is the home of high-speed slalom driving thanks to the State Highway Department, which puts potholes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep them on their toes.
�It is traditional in New Jersey to honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant the light changes.
�Never take a green light at face value. Always look right and left before proceeding.
�Remember that the goal of every New Jersey driver is to get there first,by whatever means necessary.
�Real New Jersey women drivers can put on pantyhose and apply eye makeup at seventy-five miles per hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
�Real New Jersey men drivers can remove their girlfriend's panties and bra at seventy-five miles per hour or in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
�In the New Jersey area 'flipping someone the bird' is considered a polite New Jersey salute. This gesture should always be returned.
[ December 14, 2005: Message edited by: Ganpi Srinivasan ]
Scott Selikoff
author
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Oct 23, 2005
Posts: 3716
    
    5

I think I'm guilty of almost everyone one of those, except about applying eye makeup while driving.

The second one about never keeping a safe distince is actually extremely good advice if you are ever in the left lane on the parkway. Any space you leave will be filled immediately by some guy driving 95 mph, trust me. If you can't handle it, just never use the left lane in NJ.
Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right. It's a good way to scare people entering the highway.

Also a great way to avoid cops while speeding.
In the New Jersey area 'flipping someone the bird' is considered a polite New Jersey salute. This gesture should always be returned.

Avoid this one though, if you're from out of state or don't have a gun handy.
[ December 14, 2005: Message edited by: Scott Selikoff ]
Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 14, 2001
Posts: 1902

*laughs*

Having learned to drive in NJ, lived six years in TX (you want to talk about a fun state to drive in?), and now four four years in MD (not counting the four I spent in college in MD - I had no car for three of those years), I have to say that MD drivers are only really bad during rain or snow. They don't seem to know how to handle anything other than dry roadway.

That being said, from my hour-each-way commute to and from work... PA drivers are the worst. No manners, no respect for the rules of the road, and no concern about their own lives apparently. I've learned to dread the approach of the yellow-blue-and-white plates...


Theodore Jonathan Casser
SCJP/SCSNI/SCBCD/SCWCD/SCDJWS/SCMAD/SCEA/MCTS/MCPD... and so many more letters than you can shake a stick at!
Scott Selikoff
author
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Oct 23, 2005
Posts: 3716
    
    5

Originally posted by Theodore Casser:

That being said, from my hour-each-way commute to and from work... PA drivers are the worst. No manners, no respect for the rules of the road, and no concern about their own lives apparently. I've learned to dread the approach of the yellow-blue-and-white plates...

Thank you! I've been saying that since I moved to this state 2 years ago. I fear whenever I return to NJ cops and other drivers will cut me off simply because of my plates.
[ December 14, 2005: Message edited by: Scott Selikoff ]
Jessica Sant
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 17, 2001
Posts: 4313

[GS]� Real New Jersey women drivers can put on pantyhose and apply eye makeup at seventy-five miles per hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic.[/GS]

[SS]I think I'm guilty of almost everyone one of those, except about applying eye makeup while driving.[/SS]

So, ummmm, Scott... you haven't applied eye makeup while driving but you HAVE put on pantyhose while driving? interesting... very interesting...
[ December 14, 2005: Message edited by: Jessica Sant ]

- Jess
Blog:KnitClimbJava | Twitter: jsant | Ravelry: wingedsheep
Scott Selikoff
author
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Oct 23, 2005
Posts: 3716
    
    5

Originally posted by Jessica Sant:
So, ummmm, Scott... you haven't applied eye makeup while driving but you HAVE put on pantyhose while driving? interesting... very interesting...


I guess you'd have to drive with me to find out
A. Levi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 26, 2003
Posts: 97
NJ Drivers atleast maintain speed on the left most lane, But pa drivers cut you off in the left most lane and still drive 45 MPH on a 65mph road, blocking the whole lane. Most NJ drivers for some reason seems to not like the turn signals and never use them when changing the lanes.
[ December 15, 2005: Message edited by: A. Levi ]
Ben Souther
Sheriff

Joined: Dec 11, 2004
Posts: 13410

Originally posted by Ganpi Srinivasan:
you might be a NJ driver if:

�Turn signals will give away your next move. A real New Jersey driver never uses them.
�Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you,or the space will be filled in by somebody else putting you in an even more dangerous situation.
�Crossing two or more lanes in a single lane-change is considered going with the flow.
�The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.
�Never, ever come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will inevitably result in you being rear ended. If you want your insurance company to pay for a new rear bumper, come to a complete stop at all stop signs.
�A right lane construction closure is just a game to see how many people can cut in line by passing you on the right as you sit in the left lane waiting for the same jerks to squeeze their way back in before hitting the orange construction barrels.
�Never get in the way of an older car that needs extensive bodywork. New Jersey is a no-fault insurance state and the other guy doesn't have anything to lose.
�Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it's a chance to stretch your legs.
�Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right. It's a good way to scare people entering the highway.
�Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as suggestions and are apparently not enforceable in New Jersey during rush hour.
�Just because you're in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn't mean that a New Jersey driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn't think he can go faster in your spot.
�Please remember that there is no such thing as a shortcut during rush-hour traffic in New Jersey.
�Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire.
�Learn to swerve abruptly. New Jersey is the home of high-speed slalom driving thanks to the State Highway Department, which puts potholes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep them on their toes.
�It is traditional in New Jersey to honk your horn at cars that don't move the instant the light changes.
�Never take a green light at face value. Always look right and left before proceeding.
�Remember that the goal of every New Jersey driver is to get there first,by whatever means necessary.
�Real New Jersey women drivers can put on pantyhose and apply eye makeup at seventy-five miles per hour in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
�Real New Jersey men drivers can remove their girlfriend's panties and bra at seventy-five miles per hour or in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
�In the New Jersey area 'flipping someone the bird' is considered a polite New Jersey salute. This gesture should always be returned.

[ December 14, 2005: Message edited by: Ganpi Srinivasan ]


We Bostonian's on the other hand....
are model citizens when behind the wheel.


Java API J2EE API Servlet Spec JSP Spec How to ask a question... Simple Servlet Examples jsonf
Santosh Pasupuleti
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 10, 2005
Posts: 97
Srinivasan,
Thanks for the posting.

I could not control laughing a thousand times.

Thanks
Santosh
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal

Joined: Jul 08, 2003
Posts: 24187
    
  34

Originally posted by Ben Souther:

We Bostonian's on the other hand....
are model citizens when behind the wheel.


When I lived in Boston, there was a palpably real sense that no one used their turn signals because they consciously didn't want to tip their hands. To use your signal would be to give away potentially useful information to the adversary -- by which I mean, everybody else. I quickly learned never to use them

Regarding the left-turn-right-of-way discussions: I jhate driving surface streets in NJ because 1) there are no left turn green arrows, and 2) nobody ever cuts you a break. God forbid you should need to make a left turn on a busy road -- you could sit at the light all day. Buy some damned turn arrows, people!
Scott Selikoff
author
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Oct 23, 2005
Posts: 3716
    
    5

Originally posted by Ernest Friedman-Hill:
Regarding the left-turn-right-of-way discussions: I hate driving surface streets in NJ because 1) there are no left turn green arrows, and 2) nobody ever cuts you a break.


Thats because its illegal to make left turns on the majority of roads in new jersey. You have to use jug-handles. After living in PA, I understand how much safer they are.

Watching people weave in and out of traffic (between people making right and left hand turns at every super market, gas station, and parking spot), I now realize how much sense jug-handles make and how much they improve the flow of overall traffic. In New Jersey, the left lane is always the fast lane and you never have to worry about slamming on your breaks in it (as I do here every other block).
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18901
    
    8

"Jug-handles"? Are those the things we call "left turn bays" where I live?
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal

Joined: Jul 08, 2003
Posts: 24187
    
  34

Originally posted by Paul Clapham:
"Jug-handles"? Are those the things we call "left turn bays" where I live?


No, they're really whacked. It's a right turn which dumps you onto a side street; then you're free to cross the street straight across, where you would have ended up if they'd just had a proper left turn lane at the intersection. So to turn left, you get over into the right lane. Real intuitive

But anyway: they've got jughandles in, say, the greater Piscataway area, and surely other places. But in, say, Rahway and Elizabeth and Edison, they don't even have those. They have nothing.
Dave Lenton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 20, 2005
Posts: 1241
One thing I'd heard that happens sometimes in the US is the ability to turn right at a traffic light when that light is red. This had always struck me as a fairly sensible idea to help the traffic flow, but then I'd never experienced it. Here in the UK you can't do the equivalent (turn left at a red light) unless there is a specific separate left-turn light indicating that you can.

Then I want to Athens for a weekend. For those that haven't been there, Athens probably has the craziest drivers on the planet. Imagine a over caffeinated Parisian taxi driver on speed, and you're close to what a calm Athenian driver is like. They beep, they speed, the beep some more, and they zoom all over the place like lunatics. Just to make things fun, the city designers seemed to design the traffic grid by drawing lots of nice straight lines at random over a map, not really paying much attention to things like congestion theory.

Anyway, somewhere along the line, the Greeks decided it would be a great idea to let cars turn right at a red light. So far so good, but they'd forgotten about the minor factor of pedestrians. Within about ten minutes of getting to central Athens I discovered this little lapse. I got to a pedestrian crossing, saw the little green man appear and started to cross. Suddenly there was a screech of breaks as a herd of cars came zooming around the corner and swerved to avoid me.

Its crazy - even if a helpful little green light comes on to say its safe to cross, cars can still turn in an mow you down. I'd always thought this kind of tactic may be useful, but having seen it, it just appears to be another example of people putting cars before people in not a very sensible way.
Ganpi Srinivasan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 17, 2005
Posts: 160
Originally posted by Paul Clapham:
"Jug-handles"? Are those the things we call "left turn bays" where I live?


you shud have had the privilege of driving in NJ to know what a "jughandle" is!!!

one more weird thing abt driving in New Jersey - "negotiating a circle"!! took me sometime to get used to this term...
[ December 19, 2005: Message edited by: Ganpi Srinivasan ]
Scott Selikoff
author
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Oct 23, 2005
Posts: 3716
    
    5

Originally posted by Ganpi Srinivasan:
one more weird thing abt driving in New Jersey - "negotiating a circle"!! took me sometime to get used to this term...


Negotiating? I don't think there's much negotiating involved, more like duck and run... I will say I don't find as much value in circles as jug-handles, they can be a pain and actually stop traffic miles back. Word of advice though, never speed through one, its a favorite place for cops to sit.
 
 
subject: Attention Maryland (US) Residents