This week's book giveaway is in the Design forum.
We're giving away four copies of Design for the Mind and have Victor S. Yocco on-line!
See this thread for details.
Win a copy of Design for the Mind this week in the Design forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

TEAM = Together Everyone Achieves More!

 
Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand
Posts: 567
Android Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This film already achieve more & more awards & still waiting for more!
India also win first time Golden_Globe_Award for Movie
This is very good example of Teamwork!

As this point of view what code rancher is thinking? or any new view for discussion?
 
Patel Chintan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 80
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have watched it, It is a great moview. A.R. Rahman just rocking..
 
John Smith
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2937
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mandar Khire wrote:India win first time Golden_Globe_Award for Movie Slumdog Millionaire.


Umm, I am not sure about crediting India. As your article says, "Slumdog Millionaire is a multiple Golden Globe Award-winning 2008 British drama film directed by Danny Boyle and written by Simon Beaufoy."

I liked the movie, but to get the facts straight, this is not a Bollywood production.
 
Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1374
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Let's dig little bit more John,

Loveleen Tandan (co-director: India)
Vikas Swarup (novel)
A.R.Rahman (Music)

It's an International Movie.
 
Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand
Posts: 567
Android Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Umm, I am not sure about crediting India.

My friend John Smith,
Then why following Link showing tag Indian Film?

I accept people from different countries helps lot but then also...

& in story all locations, even whole story anyone cannot imagine other than India & Indian people, although slums are present in many countries. Because Indian people have different problems & they have different ways to face the problems from rest of the peoples.

But i am Indian so i will not angry on anyone!
(Indian culture teach us to listen all things but don't over react, think on that & improve in whole things) ,
So I accept whole credit is not goes to India!
 
Chetan Parekh
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3640
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mandar Khire wrote:But i am Indian so i will not angry on anyone!
(Indian culture teach us to listen all things but don't over react, think on that & improve in whole things)


Mandar I can understand your sentiments but you are not being a nice here.

 
Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand
Posts: 567
Android Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mandar I can understand your sentiments but you are not being a nice here.


I am very sorry for i was not follow rule which shown in this. :-(
 
Sujai Kaarthik
Ranch Hand
Posts: 162
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
@John Smith

Manoj Shyamalan is an Indian. So, will you tell all the movies of his as Indian films?

Adding to it, Warner bros have decided to produce some films in India. Will you call them as Hollywood movies?
 
Ankit Garg
Sheriff
Posts: 9510
22
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
John was just putting his point of view. That's not a big deal. I have not seen the movie yet but seems it will be good for this weekend
 
Arjun Shastry
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1898
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sujai Kaarthik wrote:@John Smith

Manoj Shyamalan is an Indian.
?

From Wikipedia:
Shyamalan spent his first six weeks in Pondicherry and then was raised in Penn Valley, Pennsylvania, an affluent suburb of Philadelphia. He attended the private Catholic grammar school Waldron Mercy Academy, which his parents chose for its academic discipline,[3] followed by the Episcopal Academy, a private Episcopalian high school located at the time in Merion, Pennsylvania. Shyamalan went on to New York University's Tisch School of the Arts, in Manhattan, graduating in 1992. It was here that he made up his middle name
 
Sujai Kaarthik
Ranch Hand
Posts: 162
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
yes, i too know these facts.

by birth, he is an Indian or atleast he is an ethnic Indian right?

The point i putforth is to tell "movies directed by other nationals are not meant to be the director's respective nation's movie". I just gave an example
 
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3036
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Most of the examples given seem to show how utterly useless it is to try to categorize a film like Slumdog as being from just one country. OK, got it.
 
Himanshu Gupta
Ranch Hand
Posts: 598
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I liked this movie a lot. Really it is mind blowing. Its colorful, happening and delighting. I wrote about this in my blog too.

 
Akhilesh Trivedi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1599
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Is it in theatres now?
 
Himanshu Gupta
Ranch Hand
Posts: 598
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think not in India.
 
Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1162
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What india achive by slum!...SlumDog Millionaire!
The realization that we need to get all 'India centric' films made by foreigners.
 
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15302
6
Chrome IntelliJ IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm very interested in seeing this film. Regardless of what "kind" it is, Indian, British, whatever. From the arguments above though one could asses that a film like Goodfellas is an Italian film or The Sixth Sense is a an Indian film because M. Night Shyamalan is from India.

In the end, does it really matter? No.
 
Himanshu Gupta
Ranch Hand
Posts: 598
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I agree to Gregg.
 
Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand
Posts: 567
Android Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I started this topic for saying that as any person achieve any big award, then some credit goes to his country also!
But now i think, my topic name was wrongly written by me! Because No country achieve nothing from Slum! But people who live in that, they can struggle & achieve success in their life.
Topic name should be related to person who get success at first time or something like that! But now i cant change it! so our discussion not goes to which country have credit of success of that movie!
 
Paul Sturrock
Bartender
Posts: 10336
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You should be able to change it by clicking on the button in your first post.
 
Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
Posts: 42967
73
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
as any person achieve any big award, then some credit goes to his country also!

I don't follow that logic.
 
Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1162
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I remember seeing on the news once that some tour operator had started offering guided field trips into the slum areas of Mumbai but he unfortunately had his license canceled by the obviously agitated tourism minister on air because the minister didn't like the argument put forth by the tour operator that money generated from such tours was actually helping the slum dwellers. In fairness the rather vocal minister too had a point that India does not have a need to showcase its poverty as a way to generate revenue but it also would've been useful if he offered any solutions himself other than just yelling at the Australian tourists in the studio, who had availed of the operator's services, on how they treated their aboriginal population back home. ops:

I personally don't agree and think that such tourism, done correctly, with as much regard to dignity as possible to the inhabitants could actually be used to alleviate some of the poverty in these slum areas as clearly the people in power are yet to come up with any better solutions. Just my take on it!
 
Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand
Posts: 567
Android Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I don't follow that logic.

I want to say if Michael Phelps get gold medals in Olympic, then USA medal list also increase!

I edit name & first message for keeping main track of discussion!
because slum, poverty etc matters are very serious about to discuss!
 
Paul Yule
Ranch Hand
Posts: 229
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mandar Khire wrote:
I don't follow that logic.

I want to say if Michael Phelps get gold medals in Olympic, then USA medal list also increase!


as any person achieve any big award, then some credit goes to his country also!


I think my problem with that logic and perhaps Ulf's too are the "any"s in that statement. Yes, wins in a competition between countries' greatest athletes perhaps credit the country the athlete belongs to as well. I don't think this logic holds for film accolades.
 
aniruddha panadare
Greenhorn
Posts: 15
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hey Mandar how is going ?
 
Sujai Kaarthik
Ranch Hand
Posts: 162
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I want to say if Michael Phelps get gold medals in Olympic, then USA medal list also increase!


Coming to your point, we can be proud that AR Rehman has won that award. Infact, he is the first Indian to win that award.


Arts is a possession of the world, it cannot be limited to particular Country or area or an individual.
 
Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand
Posts: 567
Android Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
aniruddha panadare wrote: hey Mandar how is going ?

Is this message related to our topic?

think my problem with that logic and perhaps Ulf's too are the "any"s in that statement.

I use "any" because i don't want to refer some ones name in my sentence & as we can say in example ("xyz person" got "zyx award" for his/her contribution in ____.) In _____ we can fill word art, sports, science etc

As my point of view no person on earth is country less!
If i say example statement: If i get Nobel prize, then other country people can say India get one more Nobel because i am Indian!

In above statement whats wrong? :?:

I know
Arts is a possession of the world, it cannot be limited to particular Country or area or an individual.

But why i cannot say country get credit? :?:

Or Should i apologize for that statement?
 
Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
Posts: 42967
73
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mandar Khire wrote:As my point of view no person on earth is country less!

There are lots of attributes you could classify people in if you were so inclined: body height, skin color, favorite sport, religion, etc. What makes citizenship so special? You wouldn't call this "a great achievement for people 5'11'' tall", would you?

If i say example statement: If i get Nobel prize, then other country people can say India get one more Nobel because i am Indian!
In above statement whats wrong?

Because the country is not in fact getting the prize; you are getting the prize. And since you would not be getting the prize because you are a citizen of a particular country, why would the country be getting credit?
 
Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand
Posts: 567
Android Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes i understand by clarification! Now i am with you.
 
Abhinav Srivastava
Ranch Hand
Posts: 354
Eclipse IDE Java Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The only exception could be the Foreign Language Movie awards in which competing movies are nominated by their respective countries (in Oscar's at least).
 
Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand
Posts: 567
Android Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Is any other example of movie which shows team work on that? like this done by team & achieve many awards!
 
Akhilesh Trivedi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1599
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mandar Khire wrote:Is any other example of movie which shows team work on that? like this done by team & achieve many awards!



Titanic began its awards sweep starting with the Golden Globes, winning four, namely Best Motion Picture (Drama), Best Director, Best Original Score, and Best Song.[48] Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, Gloria Stuart, and James Cameron's screenplay were also nominees but lost.[49] It won the ACE "Eddie" Award, ASC Award, Art Directors Guild Award, Cinema Audio Society Award, Screen Actors Guild Awards, (Best Supporting Actress Gloria Stuart), The Directors Guild of America Award, and Broadcast Film Critics Association Award (Best Director James Cameron), and The Producer Guild of America Awards. It was also nominated for ten BAFTA awards, including Best Film and Director.

It tied All About Eve for having the most Oscar nominations in history, with 14. It won Best Picture and Best Director. It also picked up Best Costume Design, Best Visual Effects, Best Sound Mixing, Best Sound Editing, Best Original Score, Best Film Editing, Best Original Song, Best Art Direction, and Best Cinematography. Kate Winslet, Gloria Stuart and the make-up artists were the three nominees that did not win. James Cameron's original screenplay and Leonardo DiCaprio were not nominees.[50] It was the second movie to win eleven Academy Awards, after Ben-Hur. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King would also match this record in 2004, with its 11 wins from 11 nominations.

My Heart Will Go On won the Grammy Awards for Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture or for Television. The film also won Best Male Performance for Leonardo DiCaprio and Best Movie at the MTV Movie Awards. The film was voted as Best Film at the People's Choice Awards. It won various awards outside the United States, including the Awards of the Japanese Academy as the Best Foreign Film of the Year. Titanic eventually won nearly 90 awards and had an additional 47 nominations from various award-giving bodies around the world.[51]


Source.
 
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3036
10
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Putting it another way, it would be extremely rare to find a critically-acclaimed movie that doesn't depend on teamwork from many people.
 
Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand
Posts: 567
Android Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have one example about without team person can create (successful) film.
In India there is one state named Maharashtra.
In this state Marathi language mostly used & in this language cinema also created.
In this film industry one old film named Gulacha Ganapati (1953) by P.L.Deshpande.
This film has one specialty that every thing is P.L.Deshpande .
Director, Music Director, Actor, and Writer of Story, Screenplay, Dialogues, and Lyrics all worked done by P.L.Deshpande.
There is no detailed database on internet but all people who speak Marathi language(Total 90 million speakers) everyone knows this.

Only image on net.

:roll:
 
Mandar Khire
Ranch Hand
Posts: 567
Android Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Now other than movie!
take a look on this team work!
 
Michael Ernest
High Plains Drifter
Sheriff
Posts: 7292
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Any feature-length movie requires a lot of people working together to produce it. Really bad movies have as much team work going on as good movies.

Teamwork makes it possible to get more and bigger things done, but more and bigger is not better. Examples? Windows OS, military invasions, American hamburgers, nuclear waste piles.

Funny that this movie would be thought of as an Indian movie. It has that setting, of course. But if a pure Westerner like me follows everything that is happening without a problem, I have to assume it was made for Westerners first, which calls its authenticity into question.

The narrative structure is what's called a bildungsroman, a very particular Western storytelling device. The epic background -- political, technical, industrial progress that mirror the moral growth (or degeneration) of the main characters -- has many European sources, primarily British and French. One review that EFH cited made mention of a Dicken's novel, David Copperfield, which I would argue isn't quite right.

I don't know much about Indian police tactics, but is torture a typical thing? I ask because it's hard for me to know where the writer is taking dramatic license and where he is depicting a harsh reality.

It was a well-done movie; I thoroughly enjoyed it. But unless there is little difference between Indian and Western storytelling, I can't imagine it's inspiration is truly Indian.
 
Martha Simmons
Ranch Hand
Posts: 130
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I can't say "Slumdog Millionaire" did nothing to me, because it did -- I hate it, profoundly. Sorry.

What happened to "The Namesake"? It's so much better.
 
Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1374
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Martha Simmons wrote:I can't say "Slumdog Millionaire" did nothing to me, because it did -- I hate it, profoundly. Sorry.


And What's that that you didn't like? By the way did you really understand the movie?
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic