wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Bad Jedi: no donut Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Bad Jedi: no donut" Watch "Bad Jedi: no donut" New topic
Author

Bad Jedi: no donut

Max Habibi
town drunk
( and author)
Sheriff

Joined: Jun 27, 2002
Posts: 4118
It seems to me that the last star wars prequals essentially got it wrong. Consider this quote from the originals
General Kenobi: Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars; now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person; but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to Alderaan has failed. I've placed information vital to the survival of the rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope.

Notice how Leia says that Obi-Wan served her [b]father[/i]? But, AFIK, he did no such thing: we saw the clone wars, and Obi-Wan didn't work under any local authority, did he?


Java Regular Expressions
Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff

Joined: Jan 30, 2000
Posts: 18671
We saw the beginning and the end of the Clone Wars. And many episodes along the way, if you include the animated series (most of which I haven't seen). But I don't think there's any reason to assume Obi-Wand didn't do something specifically to aid Senator Organa. Alternately, Leia could have been thinking more generally of serving the Republic by serving the Senate, fo which her father was part. For that matter, Organa surely distorted or omitted some of the details of the past (like who's your daddy?) , and this could easily be part of it. Leia knows Obi-Wan was someone "dad" trusted - details beyond that may well be fuzzy.

There are any number of ways in which the prequels might be said to have "got it wrong", but this particular issue doesn't seem like a big deal to me.


"I'm not back." - Bill Harding, Twister
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61318
    
  66

They lost me half way when Jar Jar appeared on-screen. I fell off completely when R2D2 took flight.


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Bob Law
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posts: 50
Did anyone really care for Jar-jar?

There is no way you can knock R2. Although I think he became to much of a hero in his own right during the ep 1-3. Especially in Ep3 when he does battle with other druids. But come on why wouldn't R2 be able to fly? He is an astro droid built for fixing ships while in flight. If that droid is working on a large starship wouldn't it be best to be able to jump from on area to another instead of having to roll along.
Angela Poynton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 02, 2000
Posts: 3143
See R2 become a hero was the best bit of the 3 films for me. It put's C3PO's self importance into perspective when you watch eps 4-6
That and Yoda's fighting in Ep2. A truely comic moment.


Pounding at a thick stone wall won't move it, sometimes, you need to step back to see the way around.
Mark Fletcher
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 08, 2001
Posts: 897
Originally posted by Max Habibi:
It seems to me that the last star wars prequals essentially got it wrong. Consider this quote from the originals
General Kenobi: Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars; now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person; but my ship has fallen under attack and I'm afraid my mission to Alderaan has failed. I've placed information vital to the survival of the rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope.

Notice how Leia says that Obi-Wan served her [b]father[/i]? But, AFIK, he did no such thing: we saw the clone wars, and Obi-Wan didn't work under any local authority, did he?


I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.


Mark Fletcher - http://www.markfletcher.org/blog
I had some Java certs, but they're too old now...
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61318
    
  66

It's all about the continuity... R2D2 and C3PO shouldn't have been in Eps 1 through 3 in the first place. Or was Obiwan completely senile by the time Luke found him on Tatooine? Why would he not remember the droids?

Oh yeah, I forgot about "midiclorians" (or whatever). It took "The Force" from something mystical and wonderful and turned it into something more like a disease with fortunate side effects.
Max Habibi
town drunk
( and author)
Sheriff

Joined: Jun 27, 2002
Posts: 4118
Originally posted by Mark Fletcher:


I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.



You might not, indeed: It depends on how much of a geek you really are.
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

Joined: Oct 02, 2003
Posts: 11357
    
  16

Bear,

if i remember right, luke says "the droid claims it's yours". Ben then says "I don't remember ever owning a droid" - which he did not.

they belonged to... Padme??? So, Ben was correct, not senile.

yes, i'm arguing a stupid technicality, but isn't that what this forum is all about???


There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61318
    
  66

True, he did not own them... but he also did not recognize them. Which seemed a jarring discontinuity to me.
Dave Lenton
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 20, 2005
Posts: 1241
Originally posted by Bear Bibeault:
True, he did not own them... but he also did not recognize them. Which seemed a jarring discontinuity to me.
I suspect that a lot of the R2D2 story line in Ep. 2 and 3 were all about putting out enough "cute factor" to be able to sell the film, and more importantly merchandise (which Lucas still owns the rights too), to kids. After getting bad press (and rightly so) for the whole Jar Jar thing, I can imagine Lucas thinking "How am I going to sell more toys now? Ah, I'll give the cute robots a bigger role".
[ February 02, 2006: Message edited by: Dave Lenton ]

There will be glitches in my transition from being a saloon bar sage to a world statesman. - Tony Banks
Mark Fletcher
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 08, 2001
Posts: 897
Originally posted by Max Habibi:



You might not, indeed: It depends on how much of a geek you really are.


If continuity errors in the Jedi - Senate org chart get you all het up, Id hate to see you when you realise.... Greedo shot first!
Max Habibi
town drunk
( and author)
Sheriff

Joined: Jun 27, 2002
Posts: 4118
All sorta things get my fur all rizzled up: such is the life of a man raised on mathematics and computer science.


That's been another pet peeve for a long time: Han was not a saint.

M
 
wood burning stoves
 
subject: Bad Jedi: no donut