This week's book giveaway is in the OCAJP 8 forum. We're giving away four copies of OCA Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide and have Edward Finegan & Robert Liguori on-line! See this thread for details.
Willis Group Holdings Limited is a leading global insurance broker, developing and delivering professional insurance, reinsurance, risk management, financial and human resource consulting and actuarial services to corporations, public entities and institutions around the world. Willis has more than 400 offices in nearly 120 countries, with a global team of approximately 20,000 Associates serving clients in some 190 countries.
The Insurance Noodle Information Technology Group (Chicago) at Willis is at the forefront of the development of the business and is recognized as a key driver of competitive advantage. This provides exceptional opportunities for our team to participate in wide variety of projects and activities.
Title: Senior Developer
Reference code: 006B-09E7-US
Type of position: Full time
Location: Chicago, IL
Under minimal direction, has full technical knowledge of all phases of applications systems analysis and programming and a thorough understanding of the business and their expectations within projects. Also has a responsibility for instructing, assigning, directing, and checking the work of other application developers within a development team.
The individual will be relied upon to provide technical assistance during the estimation, scheduling and coordination phases of approved projects and may participate in the design phase of a project. Assists in the code creation and quality assurance efforts associated with projects and tasks. Works with customers and technical staff to resolve problems with software and responds to suggestions for improvements and enhancements. Acts as Team Leader and mentor on projects.
Essential Job Functions
• Refactor existing Noodle Platform application components to support a larger user base, including internationalization
• Improve existing Noodle Platform workflows to be faster, and more in line with user needs
• Componentize business functionality to support enhanced re-use and to enable extension and easier modification to workflows as defined by new markets.
• Document strategies and educate other members of development staff with respect to preferred methods of meeting business requirements
• 3 to 5 yrs of Java web technologies: JSP, Servlets, JSTL, Tiles
• XML and XSLT
• SQL, Preferable on Oracle, but any SQL-based data store is fine
• Struts experience
• Hibernate experience
• Eclipse IDE
• Familiarity with common design patterns • Ant experience
Solid understanding of object oriented programming languages, especially Java.
• Working knowledge of SQL
• Advanced knowledge of internet technologies, standards, and common protocols
• Ability to work independently or within team when provided with requirements
• Ability to mentor and educate junior development staff
• Good sense of humor and a positive attitude
Education and Work Experience
• Bachelors Degree or relevant experience (4+ years)
• Proven critical thinking skills
• Experience in commercial insurance industry a plus
At current time we can not sponsor or transfer any type of Visa.
Willis offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including life, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, 401k and an employee stock purchase plan as well as many other options to full time employees.
Additional information on Willis may be found on its web site: www.willis.com.
To apply for this position, please fill out an application in the Career Opportunities section of our website.
Willis is an EEO/AA employer who supports Diversity.