• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Uncertainty about version.txt

 
Kevin Florish
Ranch Hand
Posts: 182
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Question 1
=======

When I do a java -version in dos screen I get:

java version "1.6.0_12"

Then Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_12-b04)

I think in version.txt I should put - java version "1.6.0_12" but wanna make sure

Question 2
=======

I downloaded this version of java from sun website today. Is there a way to find out if this is a production version?

Question 3
=======

When I compile the programs in Dos is there anyway I can check which version of java they have been compiled with?

My system evironment variables path and CLASSPATH both point to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_12\bin


Help on any of these question greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kevin.

 
Alex Belisle Turcot
Ranch Hand
Posts: 516
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Kevin Florish wrote:Question 1
=======

When I do a java -version in dos screen I get:

java version "1.6.0_12"

Then Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_12-b04)

I think in version.txt I should put - java version "1.6.0_12" but wanna make sure


In my opinion, this is enough. All the information on the version is included in "1.6.0_12".
b04 is the internal build number.. Think of it as if you would package the application for a User. You simply need to tell them which version to get from the Web, the internal build number wouldn't be of value.. I don't know much about that b04, I'm guessing it is the working build that SUN published for that specific update... The other one not being published ? Anyone other rancher could confirm or explain this ?

Kevin Florish wrote:
Question 2
=======

I downloaded this version of java from sun website today. Is there a way to find out if this is a production version?



I personally always check this website: SUN products - download page
My understanding is that if it's there, it is not recommanded production version (see the paragraph at the top). I also always get my versions on this site, because they are all one click away ;)

Kevin Florish wrote:
Question 3
=======

When I compile the programs in Dos is there anyway I can check which version of java they have been compiled with?
My system evironment variables path and CLASSPATH both point to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_12\bin

Help on any of these question greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kevin.


Basically, the major and minor number will tell you that. You probablly have already seen that when you try to run a class with an older jdk..

Beyond that, I googled it ;)
Someone wrote a little java program that's reads the couple first bytes and gives you the major/minor of that class..
Getting Major/Minor of a class

I'm not aware if any options on the java command could give you the same information..

Regards,
Alex
 
Kevin Florish
Ranch Hand
Posts: 182
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Found the information you provided most helpful.

Thanks Alex
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic