• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Problems viewing HTML source from Internet Explorer

 
Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1796
4
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Got a weird problem going with Internet Explorer (version 5.00 on Windows 2000).
Sometimes (but not always) I can't view the source of a page served by Orion. And I can't seem to be able to figure out any pattern.
I select View | Source from the menu and nothing happens. Doesn't seem to matter whether it's a static *.html page or something generated on the fly by a servlet.
Further weirdness. Sometimes I can view the source of page generated by out.println()s in doPost(), but only after receiving a warning that the source might not be accurate. Sometimes I can view the source generated by Reverse2Servlet's doGet(), but once things have been doPost()'d, I can no longer view source.
Anyone else ever experience this problem? Any ideas on how to fix?
Note that simply saving the Orion-served pages for subsequent viewing is not a perfect solution because IE inserts extra data into the HTML. (Sometimes if the page is servlet-generated, it omits everything inside the HTML body tags, which is exactly what I want to see...).
 
Marilyn de Queiroz
Sheriff
Posts: 9059
12
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I use IE 5.5 on Win2K and have never run into this problem. Which version of Orion are you using (although I can't imagine why that would matter)?
 
Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1796
4
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Orion Application Server 1.5.2
 
Marilyn de Queiroz
Sheriff
Posts: 9059
12
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hmmm. I'm using Orion 1.5.2 also, so that's no help.
 
paul wheaton
Trailboss
Pie
Posts: 21181
Firefox Browser IntelliJ IDE Java
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have had similar problems with IE on all sorts of pages. I always wrote it off as an IE problem. Shutting IE down and restarting has always worked for me.
 
Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1796
4
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well, deleting nearly 40,000 cache, er, uh, Temporary Internet Files seemed to do the trick.
At some point I realized that I stopped being able to view the source of any page. On a lark, I figured I'd do a purge of cache files, and whaddya know -- it fixed the problem.
 
Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1796
4
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey, what's amazing now is how fast JavaRanch pages load now that I got rid of all those cache files...
 
Marilyn de Queiroz
Sheriff
Posts: 9059
12
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
 
jason adam
Chicken Farmer ()
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1932
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
MM's da man
 
Johannes de Jong
tumbleweed
Bartender
Posts: 5089
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well, deleting nearly 40,000 cache, er, uh, Temporary Internet Files seemed to do the trick
Now this needs to be documented somewhere.
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic