aspose file tools*
The moose likes Servlets and the fly likes bookmark Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Servlets
Bookmark "bookmark" Watch "bookmark" New topic
Author

bookmark

shyamkumar bopannachengalaiah
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 30, 2008
Posts: 100
i am developing a application where i have to make bookmark (function) to my apllication . say i am reading a summaries of a subject where it has many chapters(10 chapters),when i learning the chapters i have to make a bookmark there. how can i do this using servlet coding?
Ankit Garg
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 03, 2008
Posts: 9304
    
  17

Shyam, a simple google search reveals that you can use something like this



to add a bookmark to your browser. You can change the parameters as you want



This is of course javascript as you cannot use servlet to add bookmark to a browser...


SCJP 6 | SCWCD 5 | Javaranch SCJP FAQ | SCWCD Links
shyamkumar bopannachengalaiah
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 30, 2008
Posts: 100
Ankit Garg wrote:Shyam, a simple google search reveals that you can use something like this



to add a bookmark to your browser. You can change the parameters as you want



This is of course javascript as you cannot use servlet to add bookmark to a browser...



Thanks for your reply sir. But the bookmark shouldnt be browser level sir. i should be done at application level . say the bookmark pages should not be added in my browsers . it should be added with in the application.Is there a way for this sir?
Ankit Garg
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 03, 2008
Posts: 9304
    
  17

shyamkumar bopannachengalaiah wrote:Thanks for your reply sir. But the bookmark shouldnt be browser level sir. i should be done at application level . say the bookmark pages should not be added in my browsers . it should be added with in the application.Is there a way for this sir?


Argh . Don't call me sir.

Anyways, your requirement don't seem much difficult. But you can only track bookmarks for a user if they are registered to your site. In that way, you can create a database table which will track the bookmarks of the user. When the user adds a bookmark, then you must just send an ajax request or a normal request to the server to add the current page to the database. If the user is not registered, then too you can track their bookmarks by storing them in HttpSession object but the bookmarks will be lost once the session times out...
shyamkumar bopannachengalaiah
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 30, 2008
Posts: 100
Ankit Garg wrote:
shyamkumar bopannachengalaiah wrote:Thanks for your reply sir. But the bookmark shouldnt be browser level sir. i should be done at application level . say the bookmark pages should not be added in my browsers . it should be added with in the application.Is there a way for this sir?


Argh . Don't call me sir.

Anyways, your requirement don't seem much difficult. But you can only track bookmarks for a user if they are registered to your site. In that way, you can create a database table which will track the bookmarks of the user. When the user adds a bookmark, then you must just send an ajax request or a normal request to the server to add the current page to the database. If the user is not registered, then too you can track their bookmarks by storing them in HttpSession object but the bookmarks will be lost once the session times out...



thankyou for your suggestion. I really got the thing.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: bookmark