wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Jobs Discussion and the fly likes Who is going to buy Sun microsystems? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Careers » Jobs Discussion
Bookmark "Who is going to buy Sun microsystems?" Watch "Who is going to buy Sun microsystems?" New topic
Author

Who is going to buy Sun microsystems?

Mourouganandame Arunachalam
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 29, 2008
Posts: 396
Hi,

IBM withdraws $7 Billion offer for Sun Microsystems.... It's good as well as bad. Good for Java professionals and bad for Sun.

Just thinking, who is going to buy Sun Microsystems?




Mourougan
Open Source leads to Open Mind
Joe Ess
Bartender

Joined: Oct 29, 2001
Posts: 8877
    
    8

Mourouganandame Arunachalam wrote:
Just thinking, who is going to buy Sun Microsystems?


Woah! I totally derailed this discussion. Let's do this: Humorous suggestions over here in MD, serious discussion in this topic.


"blabbing like a narcissistic fool with a superiority complex" ~ N.A.
[How To Ask Questions On JavaRanch]
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jun 25, 2001
Posts: 16020
    
  20

After careful meditation, I've decided that if SOMEBODY has to to it, I'd rather it be Cisco. But that's just the best of a set of bad alternatives.

IBM owns too much of Java already.
Microsoft owns too much of Everything Else and wants to tie it all irretrievably to Windows. Besides MS and Sun hate each other from way back.
Apple? I think too much culture clash.
Oracle - less said, the better.
The original rumors included Citi. Citi shouldn't be buying ANYONE right now. They can't even do well in their own industry.

Customer surveys are for companies who didn't pay proper attention to begin with.
Vishwas Hegde
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 02, 2003
Posts: 212
How about this news!!

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/03/26/oracle_hp_joint_sun_deal/

~Vishwas
Billy Tsai
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 23, 2003
Posts: 1297
why doesn't Google buy Sun Microsystems?


BEA 8.1 Certified Administrator, IBM Certified Solution Developer For XML 1.1 and Related Technologies, SCJP, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCDJWS, SCJD, SCEA,
Oracle Certified Master Java EE 5 Enterprise Architect
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jun 25, 2001
Posts: 16020
    
  20

Vishwas Hegde wrote:How about this news!!

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/03/26/oracle_hp_joint_sun_deal/

~Vishwas


Well, it's rather old. Besides, getting bought by Compaq/HP didn't do all that much for DEC.
Mourouganandame Arunachalam
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 29, 2008
Posts: 396
Tim Holloway wrote:After careful meditation, I've decided that if SOMEBODY has to to it, I'd rather it be Cisco. But that's just the best of a set of bad alternatives.

IBM owns too much of Java already.
Microsoft owns too much of Everything Else and wants to tie it all irretrievably to Windows. Besides MS and Sun hate each other from way back.
Apple? I think too much culture clash.
Oracle - less said, the better.
The original rumors included Citi. Citi shouldn't be buying ANYONE right now. They can't even do well in their own industry.


I vote for Oracle rather.....
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jun 25, 2001
Posts: 16020
    
  20

Mourouganandame Arunachalam wrote:
Tim Holloway wrote:After careful meditation, I've decided that if SOMEBODY has to to it, I'd rather it be Cisco. But that's just the best of a set of bad alternatives.

IBM owns too much of Java already.
Microsoft owns too much of Everything Else and wants to tie it all irretrievably to Windows. Besides MS and Sun hate each other from way back.
Apple? I think too much culture clash.
Oracle - less said, the better.
The original rumors included Citi. Citi shouldn't be buying ANYONE right now. They can't even do well in their own industry.


I vote for Oracle rather.....


Do you REALLY want the company that single-handedly kept Java 1.3.8 from going end-of-life for years to own Java?
Vikram Kohli
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 27, 2005
Posts: 174
I have seen peple in Java world don't respect Oracle much. May I know the reasons.......


Vikram PracLabs
kurt hanni
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 11, 2007
Posts: 140

What if no one buys Sun? Will Sun close down, what happens to java...


SCJA, SCJP, SCJD, SCMAD, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCDJWS, SCEA, SOA, Spring Certified, OCP MySQL 5 Developer, PMP
Mourouganandame Arunachalam
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 29, 2008
Posts: 396
I think SUN is seriously looking for good offers to sell, due to various reasons. One of the reason may be its loss in sever market.
Mourouganandame Arunachalam
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 29, 2008
Posts: 396
Vikram Kohli wrote:I have seen peple in Java world don't respect Oracle much. May I know the reasons.......


I disagree with this. I respect Oracle, for its strong RDBMS
PavanPL KalyanK
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 28, 2009
Posts: 212
why sun is being sold ?

Is it in loss ??
Mark Herschberg
Sheriff

Joined: Dec 04, 2000
Posts: 6037
Sun is being sold because of declining revenues. I haven't followed it closely but from what i've gathered it's due to lossing share int he server market. Fundamentally Sun is a hardware company. These days companies are buying generic linux boxes or even using cloud systems (which in turn use generic linux boxos). Their workstation market also eroded over the years.

Sun != Java

Here again i haven't paid close attention the last few years but when I last checked Java was overseen by a steering committee made up of a number of companies. This steering committee in turn uses JSR's to advance the Java API's. Multiple companies implement these APIs in their JVM's. Sun is merely one member of the committee (albeit a special one). Sun also owns the Java trademarks.

Either some new company will own Sun, or Sun's assets will be sold off, including the Java trademarks and related rights. Even if "Java" disappears everyone will just start calling it "Jawa" or some other name. There's too much invested in Java software (proprietary, vendors, services) to just let the whole thing stop one day.

--Mark
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jun 25, 2001
Posts: 16020
    
  20

Sun reminds me of the old Xerox PARC. They've contributed a lot, but haven't managed to capitalize on it for their own benefit. As a result, they've been slowly circling the drain for years.

Their "iron" business - SPARC servers - has been steadily eroded over the last few years by Intel-based commodity systems. Unlike IBM's mainframes, Sun hasn't been able to demonstrate a clear technical superiority of their equipment over the off-the-shelf architectures. Their software products, which include Solaris, NetBeans, StarOffice, MySQL and Java are not real revenue producers. Solaris is now free in large part because that's the only real price that can compete against Linux (the OS is free, Sun charges for support). StarOffice was given a nominal price simply because if they gave it away, a lot of businesses wouldn't believe it was "real" software - it's only slightly different than the OpenOffice product that is the free version of it. MySQL has its profitable side, but not enough to support everyone else, and as for making money on Java...

Java is not public property. Sun has demonstrated (to Microsoft's pain) that it is in fact the sole owner of what is and isn't Java, insofar as the core language and libraries are concerned, In fact, one of the biggest concerns about a Sun buyout is that whoever ends up owning Java might not be as easygoing about it. Even Sun has their moments, which is why we adopted the CodeRanch domain. Ever so often a Sun lawyer goes on a tear about what's proper use of the "Java" moniker.
Chris Keene
Greenhorn

Joined: May 20, 2008
Posts: 20
I think IBM is still the last, best hope for Sun. My prediction is that the final result of all the testosterone-enhanced posturing will be a deal, much like the Oracle/BEA pas de deux


Chris Keene
www.keeneview.com
Prabhat Gupta
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 22, 2008
Posts: 135
Finally Sun went into Oracle Hands
Oracle aquisition
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Who is going to buy Sun microsystems?