File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
The moose likes JSP and the fly likes Can't get JSTL 1.2 working on Tomcat 6 Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of REST with Spring (video course) this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » JSP
Bookmark "Can Watch "Can New topic

Can't get JSTL 1.2 working on Tomcat 6

Florian Gutierrez

Joined: Apr 15, 2009
Posts: 4

First of all, I would like to thanks in advance anyone who will try to figure out what I missed out in this configuration.

So, what is going to drive me crazy ? I am trying to run a JSP on Tomcat 6. So far, it works fine. But when I try to use JSTL, I got some error :
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: The absolute uri: cannot be resolved in either web.xml or the jar files deployed with this application

Of course I have read this FAQ and as adviced in it I am using JSTL 1.2 ; which is into WebContent/WEB-INF/lib (and automatically added into Web App Libraries).

When I read this thread I though that I found what was wrong. So I renamed the jstl-1.2.jar to jstl.jar, restarted IE (using it for the website I am migrating works only with it), empty whatever it may have stored, try also with Firefox but can't have my JSP working.

I am googling for a day on this problem (I hope you are not going to say that I don't know how to do that) so I ask you to give a new eye on this.
I guess I may have miswrited something and I hope the following files will speak to you:



Florian Gutierrez

Joined: Apr 15, 2009
Posts: 4
Well, it works !

If someone want to know how to spend a whole day doing searching a bug that doesn't exists just ask me: this is where I am the best xD

So, if someone want to know what was wrong, or gets the same problem, I am going too explain that.
In fact, when I said to Eclipse that my project is a Tomcat one, I didn't say that the root sub-directory of this application is WebContent.

After I configured that, Tomcat was able to find the jar (which was in WebContent/WEB-INF/lib).

So, I have lost my day; but as always, I'm so glad to eventually find out what I was doing wrong...
I agree. Here's the link:
subject: Can't get JSTL 1.2 working on Tomcat 6
It's not a secret anymore!