File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Threads and Synchronization and the fly likes Thread & runnable Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Threads and Synchronization
Bookmark "Thread & runnable" Watch "Thread & runnable" New topic
Author

Thread & runnable

Shailesh Narkhede
Ranch Hand

What is difference between Implementing Runnable & extending Thread class.

one I know,
Java not support multiple Inheritance so If our class is extending any other class and we need to extend that class from Thread class,then it is not possible in this case we are Implementing Runnable interface.
correct me If I am wrong.

Is there any other difference between Implementing Runnable & extending Thread class?

Please explain with scenario.

Thanks In advance.

Thanks,
Shailesh
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender

Java not support multiple Inheritance so If our class is extending any other class and we need to extend that class from Thread class,then it is not possible in this case we are Implementing Runnable interface

Yes. That's a an important scenario for using Runnable over extending Thread. And By using Runnable it's easy to seperate the logic to be run in a seperate thread from the thread itself.

SCJP 5 | SCWCD 5
[How to ask questions] [Twitter]
Shailesh Narkhede
Ranch Hand

By using Runnable it's easy to seperate the logic to be run in a seperate thread from the thread itself.

Vijitha Kumara,

can you please put more light on this ?
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender

Because you are not messing the runnable code (which is inside the Runnable implementation) with the Thread which actually runs the code. So the logic is seperated from other code,easy to change and manage.
Shailesh Narkhede
Ranch Hand

Got some what but still not clear idea of that

karan khosla
Greenhorn

Ok. Here is the Scenario, Suppose your class extends Thread class and does not provide run() method the compiler or the runtime will not give any errors or warnings and the bytecode runs successfully. Whereas, if you implements Runnable interface which is always the best choice (recomended) you get an compile-time error something saying your class does not override run() method or simply declare your class as abstract.

The most important thing to note here

if you inherit from a class you are doing specialization of the parent implementation, whereas, if you inherit from an interface you have to provide the implementation ourself of all the method specified in that interface.

I Hope this information will help you

Karan Check me out on http://pythonicway.blogspot.com/

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Thread & runnable