• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Project Deployment (not the usual way)

 
Kelvin Tan
Greenhorn
Posts: 10
Python Spring Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi folks

I'm new here.

Been having a little problem with a particular web application. I have this web application called MyApp and it is running on Tomcat 5 and Java 4. My project supervisor wants me to upgrade it to Java 6 and Tomcat 6.

This is where I am having problem,

MyApp, instead of being a war file where I can deploy it as usual with the Tomcat manager, is actually a folder in the C:\ drive. (C:\MyApp)
and the most unfamiliar part is that it manage to be run on Tomcat 5 by simply entering "https://localhost:8443"!

I'm trying to replicate it to run it similarly on Tomcat 6 as well but I have no idea how to do it. Was hoping if the kind folks in JavaRanch could help me out with it.

Thank you in advance!
Kelvin
 
Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Marshal Commander
Pie
Posts: 11853
185
C++ Firefox Browser IntelliJ IDE Java Mac Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
In you Tomcat 5 instance, in the conf directory, there should be a file named server.xml. Take a look for any line with the word "appBase" in it. Does that help?

Regards, Andrew
 
Kelvin Tan
Greenhorn
Posts: 10
Python Spring Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Andrew Monkhouse wrote:In you Tomcat 5 instance, in the conf directory, there should be a file named server.xml. Take a look for any line with the word "appBase" in it. Does that help?

Regards, Andrew


Thanks for the reply Andrew. Nope, the value under the word "appBase" is "webapps". I reckon that is the default value?

I do not understand why this project cannot be deployed like everybody else by using the war file. Its driving me crazy.

What is the proper way to tell Tomcat 6 to point it to this particular folder in C:\ and access the application by entering "https://localhost:8443"?

Thanks
Kelvin
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 64620
86
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Kelvin Tan wrote:I do not understand why this project cannot be deployed like everybody else by using the war file. Its driving me crazy.

Not all web apps are deployed by war file. I have never deployed using a war file. The deployment you describe is not in the least odd or atypical -- many apps are simply deployed from the file system.

What is the proper way to tell Tomcat 6 to point it to this particular folder in C:\ and access the application by entering "https://localhost:8443"?


It's all described in the Tomcat documentation. You place a context descriptor file in the hierarchy under conf/Catalina.

The https protocol and port number are part of the SSL setup.
 
Kelvin Tan
Greenhorn
Posts: 10
Python Spring Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Bear Bibeault wrote:
Kelvin Tan wrote:I do not understand why this project cannot be deployed like everybody else by using the war file. Its driving me crazy.

Not all web apps are deployed by war file. I have never deployed using a war file. The deployment you describe is not in the least odd or atypical -- many apps are simply deployed from the file system.

What is the proper way to tell Tomcat 6 to point it to this particular folder in C:\ and access the application by entering "https://localhost:8443"?


It's all described in the Tomcat documentation. You place a context descriptor file in the hierarchy under conf/Catalina.

The https protocol and port number are part of the SSL setup.


Thank you very much! With your tip, I'm able to get it to work.

Regards
Kelvin
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic