aspose file tools*
The moose likes Architect Certification (SCEA/OCMJEA) and the fly likes Anybody working on Big Smokes Cigar Shop assignment Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Architect Certification (SCEA/OCMJEA)
Bookmark "Anybody working on Big Smokes Cigar Shop assignment" Watch "Anybody working on Big Smokes Cigar Shop assignment" New topic
Author

Anybody working on Big Smokes Cigar Shop assignment

Sharma Ashutosh
Bartender

Joined: Apr 06, 2001
Posts: 346
I have some doubts regarding "Big Smokes Cigar Shop". anybody else also working on this?


Ashutosh Sharma
SCJP 1.2, SCEA 5, Brainbench certified J2EE Developer, Documentum Certified Professional
Blog : http://scea5-passingpart2and3.blogspot.com/
Hong Anderson
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 05, 2005
Posts: 1936
I worked on it. If you have any doubts you can make assumptions. No need to ask.

That is what assumptions are for .


SCJA 1.0, SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 1.4, SCBCD 1.3, SCJP 5.0, SCEA 5, SCBCD 5; OCUP - Fundamental, Intermediate and Advanced; IBM Certified Solution Designer - OOAD, vUML 2; SpringSource Certified Spring Professional
Rumen Krastev
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 22, 2008
Posts: 15
Monu Sharma wrote:I have some doubts regarding "Big Smokes Cigar Shop". anybody else also working on this?

I'm working on this assignment too. What doubts do you have?


Oracle Certified Master, Java EE 6 Enterprise Architect
TOGAF 8 Certified
Sun Certified Enterprise Architect for JEE 5
Sun Certified Business Component Developer for JEE 5
Sun Certified Web Component Developer for J2EE 1.4
Sun Certified Java Programmer for Java 5
LPI Linux Certified Professional
Certified Scrum Master
Sharma Ashutosh
Bartender

Joined: Apr 06, 2001
Posts: 346
Some of my questions to start with?

1) So Big smokes cigar wants to establish an eCommerce site?
2) Does the inventory system of BSCS going to talk to inventory of other manufacturers via JMS?
3) To check the availabilty of cigars from other manufacturers, we need to establish a JMS Topic-right?
4) Can we use AJAX for front end or we need to use something from JEE stack only like JSF only?
5) use cases that are coming with the assignment-are they enough-or do we need to create more use cases based
on all possible scenerios?
6) Should we use sequence diagrams or collaboration diagrams? I have read most of the people use sequence diagrams
only.
7) Should we use EJBs or POJOs?
Hong Anderson
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 05, 2005
Posts: 1936
Monu Sharma wrote:Some of my questions to start with?

1) So Big smokes cigar wants to establish an eCommerce site?
2) Does the inventory system of BSCS going to talk to inventory of other manufacturers via JMS?
3) To check the availabilty of cigars from other manufacturers, we need to establish a JMS Topic-right?
4) Can we use AJAX for front end or we need to use something from JEE stack only like JSF only?
5) use cases that are coming with the assignment-are they enough-or do we need to create more use cases based
on all possible scenerios?
6) Should we use sequence diagrams or collaboration diagrams? I have read most of the people use sequence diagrams
only.
7) Should we use EJBs or POJOs?

1. I'm not sure please read requirements/use cases.
2. You can put in assumption.
3. It's up to you how to implement .
4. Is AJAX important in architecture and design? It's up to you again.
5. No need, to be sure you can ask Sun directly.
6. Sequence diagram and Communication diagram show the same information, but from different views. But for complex interactions, I think sequence diagram is more readable.
7. Up to you again . To be more specific it's up to your rationale. You might use both EJBs and POJOs.

From several of your questions, it is your job (no others' job) as a software architect to find the answers and rationales.
Rumen Krastev
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 22, 2008
Posts: 15
Monu Sharma wrote:Some of my questions to start with?

1) So Big smokes cigar wants to establish an eCommerce site?
2) Does the inventory system of BSCS going to talk to inventory of other manufacturers via JMS?
3) To check the availabilty of cigars from other manufacturers, we need to establish a JMS Topic-right?
4) Can we use AJAX for front end or we need to use something from JEE stack only like JSF only?
5) use cases that are coming with the assignment-are they enough-or do we need to create more use cases based
on all possible scenerios?
6) Should we use sequence diagrams or collaboration diagrams? I have read most of the people use sequence diagrams
only.
7) Should we use EJBs or POJOs?


1) I would say yes, but not only, since there is complex back-end system also, it's not just a web site, though
2) It seems logical and would be good this to be mentioned in assumptions section
3) No, it's seems like P2P communication (check the availability one by one manufacturer, not subscribe for notifications when there is new provisions) , hence it should be Queue.
4) I think it's good idea to use AJAX for refreshing availability on the web page or other simple tasks. Even in JEE 5 there is no standardized solution this doesn't mean it's forbidden, because it's not part of the platform. By the way in JSF 2.0 (from JEE 6) there will be AJAX integration too.
5) Well, it's suppose that a business analyst created the use cases according business needs, hence the architect won't be responsible for use cases and shouldn't create new, since he/she is not competent in this area, IMHO.
6) It's up to you since they shows the same information from different view, but for me personally Sequence diagrams are more human (developer) readable
7) Well, again it's up to you, but my approach is to try using always POJOs except when it's necessary to use transactions, persistency, security or any other service that application server provide out of the box, means that a Transfer Object doesn't need any service from app server or DAO or Business Delegate, you could see in Core J2EE Design Patters book, that for every design pattern there are different strategies for implementation - POJO or EJB, so it's according the current needs, e.g. most of the cases Session Facade is implemented as Stateless EJB, because it needs to be called by the presentation tier. Well, POJOs are much lightweight than EJB, so if there is no special need you should use POJOs, I think.

In general, the decisions that you're taking on these issues are exactly the exam - there are always benefits/drawbacks and your job is to come up with argument solution.

Regards
Rumen
Benoît de Chateauvieux
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 10, 2007
Posts: 183
I think too it's a good idea to use AJAX here... And there are JSF implementations that include AJAX for years (like Oracle ADF, for example).

For me, using AJAX or not is not an implementation choice.
It has to appear as an architectural decision because it describes how two tiers communicate.

To give an example, I'm currently working on a system for an institution in Kenya: due to the communication infrastructures and the bad internet accesses, the use of AJAX cannot be envisaged.

Regards,

Benoît


SCJP5 | SCBCD5 | SCEA5 Part 1
Hong Anderson
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 05, 2005
Posts: 1936
Benoît de Chateauvieux wrote:
For me, using AJAX or not is not an implementation choice.
It has to appear as an architectural decision because it describes how two tiers communicate.

When talk about AJAX, we should be specific that how much AJAX we'll use, it's totally different in implementation if we use AJAX in JSP or just HTML and AJAX.
Sharma Ashutosh
Bartender

Joined: Apr 06, 2001
Posts: 346
Thanks for the responses.
I have another question-i am currently working on the class diagram and feels that the no. of entities in the Business Domain model(page 2) are not sufficient enough to describe the whole system.
Are we allowed to add more entities in the Business Domain model(i know BDM is not the deliverable)-but i want a better and more complete class diagram which should be having more classes for not the limited set of entities they have presented in the BDM?
What's your view?
Sharma Ashutosh
Bartender

Joined: Apr 06, 2001
Posts: 346
what about the user administration-do we need to care about the admin/user-admin module which will add the users to the system and takes care of any of the user management tasks?
I am taking the analogy from www.amazon.com or www.buy.com. If you are not the valid user at the time of checking out you need to get registered. In this assignment-do we need to consider this at all?
Hong Anderson
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 05, 2005
Posts: 1936
Monu Sharma wrote:
I have another question-i am currently working on the class diagram and feels that the no. of entities in the Business Domain model(page 2) are not sufficient enough to describe the whole system.
Are we allowed to add more entities in the Business Domain model(i know BDM is not the deliverable)-but i want a better and more complete class diagram which should be having more classes for not the limited set of entities they have presented in the BDM?
What's your view?

Yes, but be careful about scope, don't distract from the assignment.
Hong Anderson
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 05, 2005
Posts: 1936
Monu Sharma wrote:what about the user administration-do we need to care about the admin/user-admin module which will add the users to the system and takes care of any of the user management tasks?
I am taking the analogy from www.amazon.com or www.buy.com. If you are not the valid user at the time of checking out you need to get registered. In this assignment-do we need to consider this at all?

I think this is the same as your #5 question.

And don't believe anybody in this topic totally, as I said, you needn't to believe others.
 
wood burning stoves
 
subject: Anybody working on Big Smokes Cigar Shop assignment