aspose file tools*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Web email Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of EJB 3 in Action this week in the EJB and other Java EE Technologies forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Web email" Watch "Web email" New topic
Author

Web email

Aryan Khan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 12, 2004
Posts: 290

For some time now I have been wondering why web emails like gmail, yahoo, hotmail do not show the last login time?
If it is there, I can know if some one knows my password and it is a very common feature in many e-commerce sites.
Also is not all that difficult to implement?
Thanks


OCP/MCP/SCJP/SCWCD/IBM XML/SCMAD/SCEA-1
Rahul Bhattacharjee
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 29, 2005
Posts: 2308
Originally posted by Aryan Khan:
For some time now I have been wondering why web emails like gmail, yahoo, hotmail do not show the last login time?


Why do you need to know you last login time ?
Any use of this feature.


Rahul Bhattacharjee
LinkedIn - Blog
Sandip Sankeshwar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Posts: 210
Originally posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee:


Why do you need to know you last login time ?
Any use of this feature.

If it is there, I can know if some one knows my password
Cheers
Aryan Khan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 12, 2004
Posts: 290

I will know my last login time. If some else is using my account the time will change and I will know it --
I am suspecting maybe there is some privacy breaches or even making money.
Rahul Bhattacharjee
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 29, 2005
Posts: 2308
Originally posted by Aryan Khan:
I will know my last login time. If some else is using my account the time will change and I will know it --


Atleast if I get to know someones password and I can successfully login into his account then I would change his password first.

In case I want to let the user use his account and want to just monitor his emails then having a last login time makes sense.
Good catch!
Akhilesh Trivedi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2005
Posts: 1511
Originally posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee:


Atleast if I get to know someones password and I can successfully login into his account then I would change his password first.

In case I want to let the user use his account and want to just monitor his emails then having a last login time makes sense.
Good catch!



Sometimes you are on public internet center and when someone logged previous to you had his checkbox, "Remember password" checked... so you can login on his behalf but can not change password.


Keep Smiling Always — My life is smoother when running silent. -paul
[FAQs] [Certification Guides] [The Linux Documentation Project]
Aryan Khan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 12, 2004
Posts: 290

Rahul,
It is great fun to monitor/read other emails....-
And you always cannot change passwords.
But the question is still there, Why they dont provide this?
Rahul Bhattacharjee
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 29, 2005
Posts: 2308
Originally posted by Aryan Khan:

But the question is still there, Why they dont provide this?


hmmmm..
 
wood burning stoves
 
subject: Web email
 
Similar Threads
Applets and Java Web Start???
web sites to deploy the web services
Token based authentication in EJB
Template engines
Disabling a service port in apache Axis