I have been using the OO version where you do not need XTerm and I like it a lot. All the problems I used to have are way gone. I have never had an issue where it stops working/freezes, or unexplained quiting.
Thanks y'all. Just to update a bit, I did go ahead and use OO for some very basic word processing/formatting and have generally enjoyed the experienece. It's a nice change from MS Word in that it feels like you're not quite as much a victim of the unwanted "help" offered at every turn. Just one crash, but the document was recovered sucessfully.
I’ve looked at a lot of different solutions, and in my humble opinion Aspose is the way to go. Here’s the link: http://aspose.com