aspose file tools*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Self Defence Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Self Defence" Watch "Self Defence" New topic
Author

Self Defence

Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 16, 2007
Posts: 1374
I want to learn something for self defence. There are couple of options like Martial Arts, Muay Thai or Boxing. Has anybody have experience on that or experience on completely something else?
vijay jamadade
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 12, 2008
Posts: 241
You can have a "steel punch" with you which you can wear in hand and hit anybody.

I do have it


Regards, Vijay Jamadade.
( Nothing is Impossible.)
Seetharaman Venkatasamy
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 28, 2008
Posts: 5575

Vishal Pandya wrote:There are couple of options like Martial Arts, Muay Thai or Boxing. Has anybody have experience on that or experience on completely something else?


Shooting . easy and very powerful compare to others
Martijn Verburg
author
Bartender

Joined: Jun 24, 2003
Posts: 3274
    
    5

IMO, Muay Thai combined with some form of wrestling martial art is the most practical combination. 'real' fights tend to either be 'square up' situations (where having the brutal muay thai techniques helps) but quickly end up on the ground (so you'll want to learn how to deal with that). Good luck!


Cheers, Martijn - Blog,
Twitter, PCGen, Ikasan, My The Well-Grounded Java Developer book!,
My start-up.
Muse Ran
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 17, 2008
Posts: 317
try Thamizhar martial arts



Tomorrow will surely be a new day!!!
W. Joe Smith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 10, 2009
Posts: 710
Vishal Pandya wrote:I want to learn something for self defence. There are couple of options like Martial Arts, Muay Thai or Boxing. Has anybody have experience on that or experience on completely something else?


Basically you need to look at two things:

1) Basic striking skills (how to throw a punch/kick, how to block a punch, how to take a punch-this one tends to get overlooked, but still important)
2) Basic grappling skills (how to protect your head, neutralize your opponent, maintain a dominant position, escape when possible)

This will depend on what you are comfortable with/have experience with. If you were a wrestler in high school/college, as far as self-defense goes you probably have ample ground skills. If you didn't I would recommend looking into jiu-jitsu or judo. Judo focuses more on take downs and holding positions whereas jiu-jitsu focuses more on working on the ground to better your position and then submit your opponent. Either would be helpful.

As far as striking, from a self-defense standpoint, any martial art that you are trained and actually dedicate to working in will be to your advantage. You will only get out of it what you put into it, as they say. I would recommend something that has a wide variety of kicks and punches, as in most self-defense situations being good with your hands and legs will usually give you somewhat of an advantage over an attacker.

NOTE: This is coming from someone with a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and a former instructor of a university Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu club. I try not to be biased, but I'm sure some filtered in. Just letting you know!


SCJA
When I die, I want people to look at me and say "Yeah, he might have been crazy, but that was one zarkin frood that knew where his towel was."
Jin Kim
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 21, 2009
Posts: 2
I will probably get flames for this, but my opinion is that "self defense" martial arts is misleading at best, and a downright lie at worst.
I say this because attackers will only engage victims who they believe to have a significant advantage over. (e.g. man attacking a smaller woman, many guys attacking one guy, armed man attacking unarmed man, etc)

It might help you in an "honorable" one on one fight where your opponent is roughly equal in size, not carrying weapons, doesn't have a friend or two for back up, and gives you a heads up before he attacks you.
But this never happens except in a scheduled fight match.

If you're interested in martial arts, be interested in it for building your mental and physical strength, but don't expect it to be the magic bullet that action movies or promotional video types have hyped it up to be.
MMA has gone a long way to transforming martial arts from a sports based system to a more practical system, but it sill has a long way to go.
Size and numbers almost always trump skill.
Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 16, 2007
Posts: 1374
Jin, you read my nerve correctly. I got interest into martial arts from movies, specifically from Van Damme movie. He is my hero. My goal is to have good physique with some sort of defense technique. So that, you can use them if it requires ever(though I don't wish to encounter such situation). Second and important thing is that if you have good physique, you definitely,undoubtedly see the difference the way you get treated anywhere any situation.
Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 14, 2007
Posts: 1162
Fighting is rarely like depicted in the movies or the way its shown in "self defense" instructional videos. Each opponent is different and there is no pattern of how and where and with what your enemy will attack. Its for this reason I have spent years of my life dedicated to attaining knowledge of where humans are most ticklish. This is Plan B. My Plan A is to scream like a girl for help.


I want to be like marc
Ankit Garg
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 03, 2008
Posts: 9304
    
  17

My opinion would be Kung Fu, Haiiii Yaaaaa



vijay jamadade wrote:You can have a "steel punch" with you which you can wear in hand and hit anybody.


Do you mean Brass knuckles??


SCJP 6 | SCWCD 5 | Javaranch SCJP FAQ | SCWCD Links
Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 16, 2007
Posts: 1374
Arvind Mahendra wrote:...there is no pattern ...
then you have won half the battle if you know alteast one technique. It can be more difficult when both have same techniques.
marc weber
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 31, 2004
Posts: 11343

Jin Kim wrote:I will probably get flames for this, but my opinion is that "self defense" martial arts is misleading at best, and a downright lie at worst...

This isn't a flame.

Action movies have never portrayed martial arts (or anything else) in a realistic fashion. But I'm afraid your "counter" perception of martial arts being suited only for "honorable" combat situations is not accurate either.

I trained for about 15 years, and situations of unequal size/strength, weapons, multiple attackers, and "unexpected" attacks are precisely what martial arts should prepare you for. Certainly, there are various techniques to apply, and "knowing" them isn't enough -- you need to drill them to the point they become second nature. Because it's NOT a case of patterns: "if they do this, you do that." It's being prepared to react to any attack with whatever that second nature dictates. (My own fighting didn't get good until I stopped thinking and just trusted myself to go on "automatic," without worrying about what came at me.)

But what people really fail to understand is the fight game is predominantly mental. It's ultimately a question of intimidation, and that's where the training pays off.

It's true that most "street fight" attackers choose targets they are not intimidated by. (And speaking to the idea of a physique helping in this respect, I would point out that how you carry yourself goes even further, which again is a psychological attribute.) Furthermore, these attackers have every expectation their targets will cave quickly. If you don't mentally collapse after that first sucker punch, and instead of being intimidated, you counter with serious intent, you can force your attacker to question the whole situation. At that point, they're on the defensive mentally, and it won't take much physically to end it. So even against someone bigger, stronger, etc., this is a lot easier than being in the ring with someone who's prepared and knows what they're up against.

By the way, multiple attackers is part of the higher belt exams. I've seen as many as 5 against 1. How these scenarios tend to play out is rather counter-intuitive, but if you know how to handle it -- and more importantly, that you CAN handle it...

(MMA is riding on marketing hype on par with action movies. It's nothing new. That's what goes on in "traditional" schools after the scheduled classes.)


"We're kind of on the level of crossword puzzle writers... And no one ever goes to them and gives them an award." ~Joe Strummer
sscce.org
Thillakan Saba
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 15, 2007
Posts: 53
try Varma kalai , Varmalogy


SCBCD, SCJP & MCP
HowToAskQuestions
Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 16, 2007
Posts: 1374
Marc, you have summerised very well.
But what people really fail to understand is the fight game is predominantly mental. It's ultimately a question of intimidation, and that's where the training pays off.

Actually, this is true for every game, infact every situation.

It's true that most "street fight" attackers choose targets they are not intimidated by. (And speaking to the idea of a physique helping in this respect, I would point out that how you carry yourself goes even further, which again is a psychological attribute.) Furthermore, these attackers have every expectation their targets will cave quickly. If you don't mentally collapse after that first sucker punch, and instead of being intimidated, you counter with serious intent, you can force your attacker to question the whole situation. At that point, they're on the defensive mentally, and it won't take much physically to end it. So even against someone bigger, stronger, etc., this is a lot easier than being in the ring with someone who's prepared and knows what they're up against.

That's what I mentioned in my last reply.

MMA is riding on marketing hype on par with action movies. It's nothing new. That's what goes on in "traditional" schools after the scheduled classes.

This is how I also got interest into.
Nitin Nigam
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 03, 2006
Posts: 129
Mannnn !!! I have been noticing a lot of meaningful posts these days. Guys this forum is for meaningless topics .


Nothing is impossible; for those who doesnt have to do it themselves.
myjotting.blogspot.com
arunpillai kkk
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 23, 2009
Posts: 2
please you can refer the below link, Then you can get good idea about self defence
www.7most.com


outsource Web Development, Outsource Web Developers, outsource website Development India, Outsource CMS Developers outsource Web Design, Outsource Web Designer, Outsource Web Designer India, Outsource CMS Developers
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 26, 2007
Posts: 10451
    
    8

Nitin Nigam wrote:Mannnn !!! I have been noticing a lot of meaningful posts these days. Guys this forum is for meaningless topics .

Not really.
Actually the OP made a typo. He said martial when he meant marital.

[How to ask questions] [Donate a pint, save a life!] [Onff-turn it on!]
Zandis Murāns
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 18, 2009
Posts: 174

Just get a gun...
James Ward
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 27, 2003
Posts: 263
Jin Kim: Size and numbers almost always trump skill.

Good One - AND PROBABLY CLOSEST TO TRUTH.

Arvind Mahendra: Plan A is to scream like a girl for help.

Well Said .. lol


By, the way, you can also learn how to run really really fast!!!


Martha Simmons
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 24, 2008
Posts: 130
Krav Maga
Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 14, 2007
Posts: 1162
marc weber wrote:
Jin Kim wrote:I will probably get flames for this, but my opinion is that "self defense" martial arts is misleading at best, and a downright lie at worst...

This isn't a flame.

Action movies have never portrayed martial arts (or anything else) in a realistic fashion. But I'm afraid your "counter" perception of martial arts being suited only for "honorable" combat situations is not accurate either.

I trained for about 15 years, and situations of unequal size/strength, weapons, multiple attackers, and "unexpected" attacks are precisely what martial arts should prepare you for. Certainly, there are various techniques to apply, and "knowing" them isn't enough -- you need to drill them to the point they become second nature. Because it's NOT a case of patterns: "if they do this, you do that." It's being prepared to react to any attack with whatever that second nature dictates. (My own fighting didn't get good until I stopped thinking and just trusted myself to go on "automatic," without worrying about what came at me.)

But what people really fail to understand is the fight game is predominantly mental. It's ultimately a question of intimidation, and that's where the training pays off.

It's true that most "street fight" attackers choose targets they are not intimidated by. (And speaking to the idea of a physique helping in this respect, I would point out that how you carry yourself goes even further, which again is a psychological attribute.) Furthermore, these attackers have every expectation their targets will cave quickly. If you don't mentally collapse after that first sucker punch, and instead of being intimidated, you counter with serious intent, you can force your attacker to question the whole situation. At that point, they're on the defensive mentally, and it won't take much physically to end it. So even against someone bigger, stronger, etc., this is a lot easier than being in the ring with someone who's prepared and knows what they're up against.

By the way, multiple attackers is part of the higher belt exams. I've seen as many as 5 against 1. How these scenarios tend to play out is rather counter-intuitive, but if you know how to handle it -- and more importantly, that you CAN handle it...

(MMA is riding on marketing hype on par with action movies. It's nothing new. That's what goes on in "traditional" schools after the scheduled classes.)


Just using your English skills, I bet you could beat any opponent down.
marc weber
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 31, 2004
Posts: 11343

Arvind Mahendra wrote:... Just using your English skills, I bet you could beat any opponent down...

That's always the best approach.

Sometimes people fight because they feel threatened. Fear takes over, and the body goes into a primal reaction of survival mode. Adrenaline kicks in and the mind shuts down. This is another benefit to martial arts training: The less threatened you feel, the more control you're going to have, and the less likely you are to fight.
Pat Farrell
Rancher

Joined: Aug 11, 2007
Posts: 4659
    
    5

Arvind Mahendra wrote:Fighting is rarely like depicted in the movies

This is for sure. Most real fights end with one punch that makes contact. Professional boxers or other professional fighters can absorb a punch or kick, but civilians tend to lose it when hit once.
Steve Luke
Bartender

Joined: Jan 28, 2003
Posts: 4181
    
  21

Arvind Mahendra wrote:
marc weber wrote:...


Just using your English skills, I bet you could beat any opponent down.


He would have better affect if he had capital letters in his name, though. They are more intimidating.


Steve
James Ward
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 27, 2003
Posts: 263
Also read it somewhere...
'Most real fights are more like wrestling and pushing, than punches from a distance. '
Wonder if this is true? I would think so.

Sun Tzu in the 6th century BC wrote in 'Art of War'; best fights are those, that are won without fighting.
marc weber
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 31, 2004
Posts: 11343

Pat Farrell wrote:... Most real fights end with one punch that makes contact. Professional boxers or other professional fighters can absorb a punch or kick, but civilians tend to lose it when hit once.

That's exactly right. Most street fights start with a punch to the face. From there, they typically turn into grappling/wrestling, but it's pretty much over by then.

When I first started sparring, I was done for the night as soon as I got nailed really good (often with a body blow -- I got the wind knocked out of me a lot back then). But I came back the next night. After a while, I would get back in there after a break. Eventually, those breaks got shorter until I could keep going.

You learn to deflect and absorb things physically, but it's the mental aspect you need to overcome first: Knowing you might be hurting, but you're not hurt, and you can continue without letting your opponent know anything is wrong.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Self Defence