It's not a secret anymore!*
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes Regarding sun's new passing score Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of OCM Java EE 6 Enterprise Architect Exam Guide this week in the OCMJEA forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "Regarding sun Watch "Regarding sun New topic
Author

Regarding sun's new passing score

Erum Momin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 10, 2009
Posts: 32
Hi All,
Last friday i gave SCJP6 exam and i got 65%. so i failed just fo 1%..... and today i got the email from Sun microsystem's support department that the passing score for scjp6.0 was set errantly to 66% instead of 58% and their records indicate that i did not pass the exam as a result. they wrote "We are in the process of changing your failing score to a passing score. Once that is complete, your certification package will be mailed to you. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for processing and delivery."...
Has anyone got this email???
I have already taken the retake dat that is 14th july?
what should i do now?? does that mean i have passed SCJP6.0 or should i prepare for my retake???
Please help me....
Jordan Spell
Greenhorn

Joined: Aug 04, 2009
Posts: 9
"We are in the process of changing your failing score to a passing score. Once that is complete, your certification package will be mailed to you. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for processing and delivery."

Sounds pretty good to me. However, I thought the passing score was still officially 66% and not being changed.
Erum Momin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 10, 2009
Posts: 32
Erum Momin wrote:Hi All,
Last friday i gave SCJP6 exam and i got 65%. so i failed just fo 1%..... and today i got the email from Sun microsystem's support department that the passing score for scjp6.0 was set errantly to 66% instead of 58% and their records indicate that i did not pass the exam as a result. they wrote "We are in the process of changing your failing score to a passing score. Once that is complete, your certification package will be mailed to you. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for processing and delivery."...
Has anyone got this email???
I have already taken the retake dat that is 14th july?
what should i do now?? does that mean i have passed SCJP6.0 or should i prepare for my retake???
Please help me....

Sorry the new retake date is 14th august....
Lucas Smith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 20, 2009
Posts: 804
    
    1

NOW - I KNOW NOTHING!!! So what is the RIGHT PASSING SCORE? Jason has wrote that 66% (40 qestions) - the same on Sun's website has been written till now. Today morning there was 40 questions as passing score on the website and NOW it is 35 questions, WHAT's THE HELL GOING ON?


SCJP6, SCWCD5, OCE:EJBD6.
BLOG: http://leakfromjavaheap.blogspot.com
Nitish Bangera
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 15, 2009
Posts: 537

Even i am confused..... Well now that sun people have replied to you then may be its the truth.......but in the site its something else. What's going on???


[ SCJP 6.0 - 90% ] , JSP, Servlets and Learning EJB.
Try out the programs using a TextEditor. Textpad - Java 6 api
Erum Momin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 10, 2009
Posts: 32
Nitish Bangera wrote:Even i am confused..... Well now that sun people have replied to you then may be its the truth.......but in the site its something else. What's going on???

No, even in the sun's website the passing score is set to 58.33% (35 out of 60)..
Lucas Smith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 20, 2009
Posts: 804
    
    1

Yeah, but today morning there was 40 questions and few days before there was 35 questions and now there is again 35 questions.
It's confusing!
Tiki Shabudin
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 23, 2009
Posts: 2
Okay folks, I got this from the horse's mouth so to speak. It came about because I too was a borderline case (my Score: 65%. Okay, I was never any good with tests), so I wrote sun a little email and here is the reply I got yesterday (August 7, 2009)....


Hello Tiki,

Thank you for contacting Sun Certification Customer Support. We apologize for our delay in responding to your inquiry.

As part of Sun Microsystems’ continuing commitment to keep our certifications up-to-date and relevant, the content for the Sun Certified Programmer for the Java Platform, Standard Edition 6 (CX-310-065) certification exam was recently refreshed. However, the passing percentage for this exam was errantly set at 66 percent rather than the correct passing score of 58 percent.

Our records indicate that you did not pass your exam as a result. We are in the process of changing your failing score to a passing score. Your new passing score will be republished to the Sun Certification Database at http://www.certmanager.net/sun.

Once that is complete, your certification package will be mailed to you. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for processing and delivery.

We have also requested that Prometric mail a corrected exam score report to all affected candidates. You should allow 8 to 10 weeks to receipt of your corrected score report.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of this issue.

Please let us know if we may provide further assistance. Thank you for choosing Sun products and services.

Best regards,

Eric Boice
Sun Certification Customer Support
who2contact@sun.com




Hopefully, this will bring a smile to those who are/were in the same boat as I.


-----------------------------------------------------------

May a thousand dogs never see you as a fire hydrant,
May a thousand babies never mistake you for a diaper,
May the fleas of a thousand camels never infest your cro-... well you get the idea.
Nitish Bangera
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 15, 2009
Posts: 537

Yesterday i checked on the site and i saw what a 66% passing score and today again i checked the site out of curiosity and i saw what surprise surprise 58.33% passing score....... as you(Erum) are notified by the sun people, i think the last 58.33% is the passing score.Well congrats on passing the exam. And yes the sun allows retake only to people who haven't passed.....so this makes you ineligible for the retake
Jason Irwin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Posts: 327
We need a face-palm icon.


SCJP6
Lucas Smith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 20, 2009
Posts: 804
    
    1

So Jason you were wrong. The right passing score is 35 questions
Jason Irwin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Posts: 327
I was right. You would have failed if you get less than 66% as that is what Prometric's software thinks the pass score is. We have seen posts here from people it happened to.

It seems though, that Sun is now trying to resolve the discrepancy.
I always wondered if you could appeal if you got 65%.
Lucas Smith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 20, 2009
Posts: 804
    
    1

OK, but the right score is 35 questions
Jason Irwin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Posts: 327
Given what's happening, it wouldn't surprise me if the "correct" score next week was πr²!
Erum Momin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 10, 2009
Posts: 32
Tiki Shabudin wrote:Okay folks, I got this from the horse's mouth so to speak. It came about because I too was a borderline case (my Score: 65%. Okay, I was never any good with tests), so I wrote sun a little email and here is the reply I got yesterday (August 7, 2009)....


Hello Tiki,

Thank you for contacting Sun Certification Customer Support. We apologize for our delay in responding to your inquiry.

As part of Sun Microsystems’ continuing commitment to keep our certifications up-to-date and relevant, the content for the Sun Certified Programmer for the Java Platform, Standard Edition 6 (CX-310-065) certification exam was recently refreshed. However, the passing percentage for this exam was errantly set at 66 percent rather than the correct passing score of 58 percent.

Our records indicate that you did not pass your exam as a result. We are in the process of changing your failing score to a passing score. Your new passing score will be republished to the Sun Certification Database at http://www.certmanager.net/sun.

Once that is complete, your certification package will be mailed to you. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for processing and delivery.

We have also requested that Prometric mail a corrected exam score report to all affected candidates. You should allow 8 to 10 weeks to receipt of your corrected score report.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of this issue.

Please let us know if we may provide further assistance. Thank you for choosing Sun products and services.

Best regards,

Eric Boice
Sun Certification Customer Support
who2contact@sun.com




Hopefully, this will bring a smile to those who are/were in the same boat as I.


Hi Tiki,
So does that mean that we have passed the exam and don't need to give the test again?
Coz i'm still confused since i contacted sun people, prometric and they all say that it doesn't show you as passed the exam.... if you want you can give the retake.... and sun people are saying to wait for who2contact.com to reply your email.
Did you write to who2contact.com regarding this? coz i have already written it to them and haven'nt got hte reply yet.
Tiki Shabudin
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 23, 2009
Posts: 2
Hi Erum,
Yup, it's true. We DO NOT have to re sit for the exam as we have passed! So, you'll be getting your cert soon. Congratulations!
Erum Momin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 10, 2009
Posts: 32
Hi Tiki,
Thank you! ! !
And congratulation ! ! ! !
Mohamamd Amin
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 11, 2009
Posts: 7
Nice info I will contact them too. I got 63% or 46 questions and passing is 58.33% or 35 questions.
Nitish Bangera
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 15, 2009
Posts: 537

Well now its settled i suppose that the passing score is 58%. I confirmed it with the prometric testing centre.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Regarding sun's new passing score