File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Other Open Source Projects and the fly likes edit pdf file by using itext Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Java 8 in Action this week in the Java 8 forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Products » Other Open Source Projects
Bookmark "edit pdf file by using itext" Watch "edit pdf file by using itext" New topic
Author

edit pdf file by using itext

jim li
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 20, 2008
Posts: 180
hi guys

i have a pdf file, and is it possible by using itext lib(or any third party lib) to add a button to the pdf file, and when i click on the button, a new row will be added to the pdf file. if it is not possible, is there an alternative way to accomplish my objective?

thank you
jim li
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 20, 2008
Posts: 180
anyone? some suggestion please
Rob Spoor
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 27, 2005
Posts: 19556
    
  16

Let's move this to the Other Open Source Projects forum, as that's where iText, PDFBox and others are usually discussed.


SCJP 1.4 - SCJP 6 - SCWCD 5 - OCEEJBD 6
How To Ask Questions How To Answer Questions
Trilochan Bharadwaj
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 02, 2009
Posts: 100
This should help:
forms in pdf

trilochan.
jim li
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 20, 2008
Posts: 180
http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/cs/familyjustice/forms/J3469.pdf

there are two buttons on this pdf file , allow user to add/delete a new line

how can this function be implemented by using java, or is it possible?

thank you
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18154
    
    8

You want to display a PDF file -- using Acrobat, I assume -- and have that PDF include buttons which actually change the PDF file which Acrobat is now displaying -- and have those changes show up right away?

You might possibly be able to do that by designing the PDF in a suitable way, so that Acrobat supported that. (Actually I have no idea whether Acrobat can do that.) But with iText -- a package that can barely parse an existing PDF? Not very likely at all. I wouldn't bet any money on it at all. Your only hope is that Acrobat can do it.

Probably this idea is going to have to be rethought. PDF is for finished products, so the buttons should be on some application which is updating some other data, from which the PDF will eventually be generated.
jim li
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 20, 2008
Posts: 180
Paul Clapham wrote:You want to display a PDF file -- using Acrobat, I assume -- and have that PDF include buttons which actually change the PDF file which Acrobat is now displaying -- and have those changes show up right away?

You might possibly be able to do that by designing the PDF in a suitable way, so that Acrobat supported that. (Actually I have no idea whether Acrobat can do that.) But with iText -- a package that can barely parse an existing PDF? Not very likely at all. I wouldn't bet any money on it at all. Your only hope is that Acrobat can do it.

Probably this idea is going to have to be rethought. PDF is for finished products, so the buttons should be on some application which is updating some other data, from which the PDF will eventually be generated.


FYI..

are you suggesting me to non-programmatically edit the PDF file and use the arobat editor?

Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18154
    
    8

jim li wrote:are you suggesting me to non-programmatically edit the PDF file and use the arobat editor?


No, I'm not suggesting anything in particular. I do know the idea you posted has no hope of working. But I don't know what your actual requirements are, so I'm not making any suggestion about how to implement them. What you posted wasn't the actual requirements, was it? It looked more like an attempt to implement something more reasonable, but I couldn't tell what.
jim li
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 20, 2008
Posts: 180
Paul Clapham wrote:
jim li wrote:are you suggesting me to non-programmatically edit the PDF file and use the arobat editor?


No, I'm not suggesting anything in particular. I do know the idea you posted has no hope of working. But I don't know what your actual requirements are, so I'm not making any suggestion about how to implement them. What you posted wasn't the actual requirements, was it? It looked more like an attempt to implement something more reasonable, but I couldn't tell what.


add the button to my pdf programmatically is actully my business requirement, and i am still doing the research to figure out is it possible to do it.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: edit pdf file by using itext
 
Similar Threads
Pdf Edit
Can I read already pdf file
Creating PDF through servlet
generate barcode image
PDF with jsf