aspose file tools*
The moose likes Groovy and the fly likes groovy or ruby Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Languages » Groovy
Bookmark "groovy or ruby" Watch "groovy or ruby" New topic
Author

groovy or ruby

avihai marchiano
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 10, 2007
Posts: 342
Hey,

i want to learn one of them can you ref to good advice.

Thank you
Peter Johnson
author
Bartender

Joined: May 14, 2008
Posts: 5845
    
    7

Grab a book or search for online tutorials. If your are undecided which to learn, go through a couple of tutorials on each and even try a Rails and Grails tutorial. Then get a book for the one you liked the best.


JBoss In Action
avihai marchiano
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 10, 2007
Posts: 342
i mean to advice - of what do you think is more important to learn.
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Posts: 15300
    
    6

Not sure why trying Rails and Grails should help you decide whether to learn Groovy or Ruby. But Peter is right in that you should give both languages a run through and see which you like. As far as what is important, they both are. I prefer groovy because it was a very easy transition from Java.


GenRocket - Experts at Building Test Data
Peter Johnson
author
Bartender

Joined: May 14, 2008
Posts: 5845
    
    7

Gregg Bolinger wrote:Not sure why trying Rails and Grails should help you decide whether to learn Groovy or Ruby.


I threw that in because if you are going to write web apps you might want to know what you will have to go through to do so for each language.
Marc Peabody
pie sneak
Sheriff

Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Posts: 4727

The two languages are incredibly similar. If you learn either one, transitioning to the other isn't very difficult.

I was doing Groovy professionally last year and this year I've been doing Ruby.

Probably the best way to decide which one to focus on is to see if either one has a user group in your city. It helps to really learn how to use the language if you can make friends with the people that can give you pointers in person.


A good workman is known by his tools.
chris webster
Bartender

Joined: Mar 01, 2009
Posts: 1873
    
  16

avihai marchiano wrote:i mean to advice - of what do you think is more important to learn.


Depends what you want to do with them. If you think you might want to take advantage of Java technology (Spring, Hibernate, etc) on the JVM/JEE platform, then Groovy and Grails are probably the way to go. Actually, you might like to use Grails as your way into Groovy, as it's a fun and easy way to start using Groovy while also playing with JEE web apps etc.


No more Blub for me, thank you, Vicar.
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Posts: 15300
    
    6

chris webster wrote:
avihai marchiano wrote:i mean to advice - of what do you think is more important to learn.


Depends what you want to do with them. If you think you might want to take advantage of Java technology (Spring, Hibernate, etc) on the JVM/JEE platform, then Groovy and Grails are probably the way to go. Actually, you might like to use Grails as your way into Groovy, as it's a fun and easy way to start using Groovy while also playing with JEE web apps etc.


Well, technically he could use JRuby and achieve the same thing. So it is literally whatever you prefer.
Marc Peabody
pie sneak
Sheriff

Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Posts: 4727

Gregg Bolinger wrote:Well, technically he could use JRuby and achieve the same thing. So it is literally whatever you prefer.

Totally. Both languages have JVM support and allow interaction with other Java code.
Freddy Wong
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 11, 2006
Posts: 959

I started of learning Ruby, but at the end I decided to learn Groovy because I found it easier to transition from Java.


SCJP 5.0, SCWCD 1.4, SCBCD 1.3, SCDJWS 1.4
My Blog
Dave Klein
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 29, 2007
Posts: 77
Marc Peabody wrote:
Gregg Bolinger wrote:Well, technically he could use JRuby and achieve the same thing. So it is literally whatever you prefer.

Totally. Both languages have JVM support and allow interaction with other Java code.

There are varying degrees of integration between Java and other JVM languages. I recall hearing Charles Nutter say something to the effect that their first goal with JRuby was to be the best Ruby implementation. Seamless interop with Java was, at best, a secondary concern. Whereas, Groovy had that as a primary goal from the beginning. I haven't used JRuby but from others that I've heard from it appears that it's not nearly as easy to integrate with Java as Groovy is.


Author of Grails: A Quick-Start Guide
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: groovy or ruby