Win a copy of Re-engineering Legacy Software this week in the Refactoring forum
or Docker in Action in the Agile forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

You are in the interview panel.

 
Jo Joy
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What would be the first few technical questions you would ask if you in are interview panel of a Java interview for a Software Services company.
 
Henry Wong
author
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 20889
75
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Won't it depend on (1) what the candidate is interviewing for? and (2) what exactly is in the candidate's CV?


BTW, moving this to the job discussions forum.

Henry
 
Kj Reddy
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1704
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Depends on factors like: for what position, how much experience,how many interviews he had before and feed back from previous interviews and the resume (CV)
 
Jo Joy
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Kj Reddy wrote:Depends on factors like: for what position, how much experience,how many interviews he had before and feed back from previous interviews and the resume (CV)


Lets say it is pure core Java, 4 yrs exp and the first interview in your company.
 
satya ganesh
Greenhorn
Posts: 7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I will just make the canditate feel comfortable initially, by having a general discussion like -
Tell about yourself (technical introduction, about the company,)
About the project
About the domain

Then i will try to get into some real java stuff..
 
Kj Reddy
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1704
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jo Joy wrote:Lets say it is pure core Java, 4 yrs exp and the first interview in your company.


I will look into the CV and try to understand what the person knows and does not know. Try to understand the current role of the person that he playing in his current assignment. Basically there are no fixed questions. But some times may be we can start with simple questions like questions on OOPS concepts and move on to other areas. Also it depends on responses from the opposite person like my second question will depend on the response to my first question.
 
arulk pillai
Author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3385
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It depend on the role like junior, senior, team lead, etc.

In general, cover areas like

-- OO Concepts
-- Language Fundamentals
-- Concurrency Management, Transaction Management,
-- Development Process
-- Best Practices
-- Code Quality
 
salvin francis
Bartender
Posts: 1263
10
Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
1. Are all method calls made in java : call by value or call by reference
Can be used to judge his command over the language (Please do not expect a 100% right answer, rather try to understand the persons approach)


2. Code a program to .....
Good, now change it to do .....

Tests a person's ability write reusable code / make modifications in code.


come on guys, join the band wagon......
 
salvin francis
Bartender
Posts: 1263
10
Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
ahem, for those in doubt, its always call by value
 
Jimmy Clark
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2187
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Smells like a grimy, novice technical recruiter to me.... no free lunch!
 
salvin francis
Bartender
Posts: 1263
10
Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
James Clark wrote:Smells like a grimy, novice technical recruiter to me.... no free lunch!


Salvin ?
 
Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 597
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jo Joy wrote:What would be the first few technical questions you would ask if you in are interview panel of a Java interview for a Software Services company.

Why specific to software services company?
Anyway it depends the role you are interviewing for and candidate's CV.
 
Vinay Singh
Ranch Hand
Posts: 174
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
In System.out.println What is system , what is out and what is println
 
Henry Wong
author
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 20889
75
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Vinay Singh wrote:In System.out.println What is system , what is out and what is println


I don't know if I would agree with this. I would prefer to get the candidate comfortable with "do you have any questions about the company?", or higher level questions (which doesn't have a wrong answer) like, "tell me a bit about [the candidate's] university, engineering course?".

Henry
 
Jo Joy
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Henry Wong wrote:
Vinay Singh wrote:In System.out.println What is system , what is out and what is println


I don't know if I would agree with this. I would prefer to get the candidate comfortable with "do you have any questions about the company?", or higher level questions (which doesn't have a wrong answer) like, "tell me a bit about [the candidate's] university, engineering course?".

Henry


Very few seem to have seen the word TECHNICAL in my first post.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic