B&S 2.2.2 - Do I have to implement the book function?
Joined: Sep 12, 2008
I did a little searching and found out that almost everyone had a book option at their GUI for the B&S assignment.
But unless I'm missing something in the following statement, this option is not a requirement.
"What you must do
The following are the "top level" features that must be implemented:
* A client program with a graphical user interface that connects to the database
* A data access system that provides record locking and a flexible search mechanism
* Network server functionality for the database system
The work involves a number of design choices that have to be made. In all such cases, the following principles should be applied."
"The new application, using the existing data file format, must allow the CSRs to generate a list of constractors that match a customer's criteria. This is the project that you have been commissioned to implement."
From these, I am assuming that only a search option is required. Am I thinking wrong here?
Yes you are missing something. The SCJD consists of GUI, Server (sockets or RMI), threading and I/O (Data class). Now I did URLyBird and in my GUI section, I have
The user interface for this assignment must satisfy the following criteria:
* It must be composed exclusively with components from the Java Foundation Classes (Swing components).
* It must allow the user to search the data for all records, or for records where the name and/or location fields exactly match values specified by the user.
* It must present search results in a JTable.
* It must allow the user to book a selected record, updating the database file accordingly.
The last point is indeed a requirement ... well all those points.
If you are in doubt re-read the instructions per each section to determine the architecture. Good luck and of course have fun.