Meaningless Drivel is fun!*
The moose likes Beginning Java and the fly likes Java Project Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide this week in the OCPJP forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Beginning Java
Bookmark "Java Project" Watch "Java Project" New topic
Author

Java Project

Mahesh Lohi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2009
Posts: 150
Hi all,

I would like to code an application in java. Please suggest me one, so that I can start of rigth away.
I wish to learn coding in java.


Thank you in advance.

Vamsi Mohan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 20, 2009
Posts: 80
What type of JAVA applications you are looking for ? Is it core java or J2ee applications ? If you are very new to Java, it is better to code the core java. Gradually, you can do J2ee coding.


VAMSI MOHAN.V
(SCJP5.0, IBM Rational Solution Designer, IBM Rational Architect, IBM RUP Designer)
Nishan Patel
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 07, 2008
Posts: 688

Hi,

If you want to learn Java basically create first CRUD example - Create Read Update Delete application. So start to pick up One framework with java. If you want to learn persistent framework use Hibernate with your application. If you want some sample there are so many example you can get from Google search.


Thanks, Nishan Patel
SCJP 1.5, SCWCD 1.5, OCPJWSD Java Developer,My Blog
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 39478
    
  28
Try the assignments in the Cattle Drive.
Mahesh Lohi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2009
Posts: 150
Nishan Patel wrote:Hi,

If you want to learn Java basically create first CRUD example - Create Read Update Delete application. So start to pick up One framework with java. If you want to learn persistent framework use Hibernate with your application. If you want some sample there are so many example you can get from Google search.


I use netbean IDE will it have Hibernate, I have struts.

I am new to this. Please let me know.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Mahesh Lohi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2009
Posts: 150
Vamsi Mohan wrote:What type of JAVA applications you are looking for ? Is it core java or J2ee applications ? If you are very new to Java, it is better to code the core java. Gradually, you can do J2ee coding.


I do web development. My understanding of j2ee is limited to web application. I wish to create a application , say which alerts me on some event. The application must start up when the system starts.

Thank you for the reply.



Henry Wong
author
Sheriff

Joined: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 18914
    
  40

Mahi Lohi wrote:
I do web development. My understanding of j2ee is limited to web application. I wish to create a application , say which alerts me on some event. The application must start up when the system starts.


Not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that you already know how to do web development in Java? If so, you should already know core Java, already know either JSPs or servlets, and already know what you need to get up to speed on.

Or are you saying you do web development using other technologies? If so, it would help to tell us your experience level, and what technologies you are referring to here.

Henry


Books: Java Threads, 3rd Edition, Jini in a Nutshell, and Java Gems (contributor)
Mahesh Lohi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2009
Posts: 150
Henry Wong wrote:
Mahi Lohi wrote:
I do web development. My understanding of j2ee is limited to web application. I wish to create a application , say which alerts me on some event. The application must start up when the system starts.


Not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that you already know how to do web development in Java? If so, you should already know core Java, already know either JSPs or servlets, and already know what you need to get up to speed on.

Or are you saying you do web development using other technologies? If so, it would help to tell us your experience level, and what technologies you are referring to here.

Henry


Sorry for the confusion caused. I do web development using java (struts). But I wish to learn how to create a standalone application using java. I wish to create a application , say which alerts me on some event. The application must start up when the system starts up.

Thanks for the quick reply

Nishan Patel
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 07, 2008
Posts: 688

Mahi Lohi wrote:
Nishan Patel wrote:Hi,

If you want to learn Java basically create first CRUD example - Create Read Update Delete application. So start to pick up One framework with java. If you want to learn persistent framework use Hibernate with your application. If you want some sample there are so many example you can get from Google search.


I use netbean IDE will it have Hibernate, I have struts.

I am new to this. Please let me know.

Thank you for the quick reply.



If you are using netbeans you have already get Hibernate in-build.

Hibernate Demo

I give you advise to use Struts 2.x. because Struts 2.x is easy to use and configure.

Struts



Mahesh Lohi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2009
Posts: 150
Nishan Patel wrote:
Mahi Lohi wrote:
Nishan Patel wrote:Hi,

If you want to learn Java basically create first CRUD example - Create Read Update Delete application. So start to pick up One framework with java. If you want to learn persistent framework use Hibernate with your application. If you want some sample there are so many example you can get from Google search.


I use netbean IDE will it have Hibernate, I have struts.

I am new to this. Please let me know.

Thank you for the quick reply.



If you are using netbeans you have already get Hibernate in-build.

Hibernate Demo

I give you advise to use Struts 2.x. because Struts 2.x is easy to use and configure.

Struts






Thank you . can I build a stand alone application using Hibernate .

The application is with GUI.

please help

 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
 
subject: Java Project