File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Hardest musical instruments to play

 
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender
Posts: 3479
Clojure Mac Objective C
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have been learning Spahish guitar (classic/flamenco) for less than one year and it seems it is really a hard instrument to play especially the right hand techniques, not to mention flamenco types (Solea, Bulera, Farruca ...)
But things are going better for me now but it is still a really hard instrument.
What are the hardest instruments to play?
 
Sumit Patil
Ranch Hand
Posts: 296
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Tomcat Server
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I Guess its guitar only....

 
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper
Pie
Posts: 15150
31
Android IntelliJ IDE Java Scala Spring
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Learning a little basic guitar playing is not hard, everyone can learn to play some basic cords in a few days. The guitar is one of the most popular instruments. But learning to play flamenco guitar is ofcourse a different story.

I've heard that the horn is really hard to learn.

Ofcourse the big Internet has an answer to your question: What is the hardest musical instrument to play and learn to play & understand how to play?
 
Chris Baron
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1061
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The Theremin maybe?
Easy to learn but notoriously difficult to master...
 
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender
Posts: 3479
Clojure Mac Objective C
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Chris,
this is ture for all instruments
Andres Segovia died at the age 94 and he played at least 8 hours per day.
 
Nishan Patel
Ranch Hand
Posts: 689
Eclipse IDE Java Scala
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I Guess Synthesizer





 
Paul Sturrock
Bartender
Posts: 10336
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pah! That's nothing:

 
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff
Posts: 17276
6
IntelliJ IDE Mac Spring
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Obviously the skin flute.

Mark
 
marc weber
Sheriff
Posts: 11343
Java Mac Safari
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
One of the most challenging instruments to play is the cotton swabs.

 
Monu Tripathi
Rancher
Posts: 1369
1
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
marc: how do you play cotton swabs?
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 10971
11
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Monu Tripathi wrote: marc: how do you play cotton swabs?

See? Now you know why it is hardest!
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3665
9
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
IMHO, any instrument that has discrete notes such as Guitar are substantially easier to play that the ones that have continuous notes such as Violin. The reason is that the purity of the note depends on the location of your finger on the string. A slight variation will make you offkey. While this is not a problem in guitar because you just have press the string anywhere between two bars to get the same note. Flute is kind of in the middle of the toughness scale because you have to produce half notes with your intuition.

The ultimate instrument is of course your vocal chord! No wonder people like Pandit Bhimsen Joshi spend their life time in trying to achieve the timbre, precision, and speed, of the notes.
 
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender
Posts: 3479
Clojure Mac Objective C
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Anil wrote:While this is not a problem in guitar because you just have press the string anywhere between two bars to get the same note.

Well, that isn't completely true because a wrong press between the bars makes a terrible sound.
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3665
9
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
John Todd wrote:
Paul Anil wrote:While this is not a problem in guitar because you just have press the string anywhere between two bars to get the same note.

Well, that isn't completely true because a wrong press between the bars makes a terrible sound.


That's not the point. Pressing between the wrong bars will still produce a valid note...a B may become a B# or Bm...both are valid notes, though not valid for that particular composition. But a minor misposition on violin will produce a completely out of tune sound. The margin of error in Guitar is huge (it as much as the space between the two bars) as compared to violin, where there is practically no margin of error. You either strike the right note or are out of tune altogether. The precision that a Violin requires can only be achieved after years and years of practice.

Another thing, people having very little music sense (practically tone deaf) can play guitar by mugging up the chords within weeks. IMHO, it's not possible for a violinist.

BTW, I am not a violinist
 
Arvind Mahendra
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1162
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The harp, because you'll constantly be accused of being gay even if you're not. The flute follows a close second.
 
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender
Posts: 3479
Clojure Mac Objective C
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes Paul I got your point.
Your argument regarding the guitar is valid for bass and acoustic (country) guitar playing, those type aren't demanding but believe me, playing flamenco guitar is a completely different story.
Just check a couple of videos on YouTube (Paco De Lucia, Vicente Amigo, Juan Serrano).
Playing tremolo -correctly- on a spanish guitar is one of the most diffecult technique to achieve.
I'm spending literally a couple of months for one movement of rasgueado.
Any way, it is really an amazing journey
 
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3665
9
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
John Todd wrote:Yes Paul I got your point.
Your argument regarding the guitar is valid for bass and acoustic (country) guitar playing, those type aren't demanding but believe me, playing flamenco guitar is a completely different story.
Just check a couple of videos on YouTube (Paco De Lucia, Vicente Amigo, Juan Serrano).
Playing tremolo -correctly- on a spanish guitar is one of the most diffecult technique to achieve.
I'm spending literally a couple of months for one movement of rasgueado.
Any way, it is really an amazing journey


I just watched this by Paco De Lucia (came up first on the search) and I see your point now.
 
marc weber
Sheriff
Posts: 11343
Java Mac Safari
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Anil wrote:...this is not a problem in guitar because you just have press the string anywhere between two bars to get the same note...

When depressing a guitar string behind a fret, you only get the correct note if you are not "bending" the string at all. Bending is a portamento technique to transition between notes without defining intermediate notes. On guitar, this is typically a half or full step, and requires the player to hit that pitch by ear (as on a fretless instrument). Unintentional bends have the effect of detuning the notes (usually a quarter step or less), and are a common problem when fingering difficult chords.
 
Balu Sadhasivam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 874
Android Java VI Editor
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
 
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender
Posts: 3479
Clojure Mac Objective C
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Check this, one of my favorites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_qzLH3FgxM
 
John Smith
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2937
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
John Todd wrote:What are the hardest instruments to play?


Theremin
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic