File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
The moose likes Servlets and the fly likes HttpServletRequest getReader() - encoding problem Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Servlets
Bookmark "HttpServletRequest getReader() - encoding problem" Watch "HttpServletRequest getReader() - encoding problem" New topic

HttpServletRequest getReader() - encoding problem

James Hodgkiss
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 401
To overcome the problem of receiving request POST parameters with chunked transfer encoding, I am using the following code... obtain the paramsString.

One of the parameter values being sent is an email address, but the "@" symbol is turned into "%40".

Presumably, request.getReader() is using the wrong encoding, but how do I solve it? I have tried calling request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8") before calling request.getReader(), but it doesn't solve.

Anyone have any ideas?
Nishan Patel
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 07, 2008
Posts: 684

As you told post data why you are using request.getReader(). From the jsp page you can get using request.getParameter("Email String");

what is the reason behind use this..

Thanks, Nishan Patel
SCJP 1.5, SCWCD 1.5, OCPJWSD Java Developer,My Blog
James Hodgkiss
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 401
The problem with using request.getParameter() is that if the request parameters are sent in chunks then you may only get the first chunk and so won't be able to access the parameters/values in subsequent chunks. That is why I use request.getReader().
James Hodgkiss
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 22, 2004
Posts: 401
The problem was the the request was coming from an html form.

I added this line at the end of my code snippet, and now it works fine...

I agree. Here's the link:
subject: HttpServletRequest getReader() - encoding problem
Similar Threads
Problem in passing request parameter
Character Encoding in Servlet
Chinese / English encoding problem
About character encoding
Encoding problem in servlet