Win a copy of Design for the Mind this week in the Design forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Interview question: project structure ?

 
Edward Chen
Ranch Hand
Posts: 798
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
In the interview, I am asked : "describe the project structure which I am working on". My project is plain MVC web application. I am confused, what they want to know ?

Anybody could give me some example ?

Thanks.
 
Henry Wong
author
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 20997
76
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am confused, what they want to know ?


Well... did you happen to ask the interviewer to elaborate the question?

Henry
 
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff
Posts: 48652
56
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
They expect you to know the architecture of what you are working on. If you don't know, they wish to be told why.
 
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand
Posts: 10106
3
Eclipse IDE Mac PPC Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Edward Chen wrote:In the interview, I am asked : "describe the project structure which I am working on". My project is plain MVC web application. I am confused, what they want to know ?

Anybody could give me some example ?

Thanks.


What difficulty is there? I can think of answering this question in two ways (1) The project team structure and roles of each team member and how the project was executed (2) The technical architecture.
 
Sandeep Awasthi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 597
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:[
What difficulty is there? I can think of answering this question in two ways (1) The project team structure and roles of each team member and how the project was executed (2) The technical architecture.


I think Edward is talking about how to explain Architecture of project not team structure.
 
Edward Chen
Ranch Hand
Posts: 798
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sandeep Awasthi wrote:I think Edward is talking about how to explain Architecture of project not team structure.

Yes, you are right. how to describe an Architecture of project ?

Thanks
 
Neena Rangnani
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Edward,

This is very common interview question. I was also asked the same question. Here is my answer to this question.

If you are working on plain MVC web application , you could have explained your project structure like short description of how many controllers you are using.For example if your application has a no. of products or services and it is login based then the expected controllers would be "Logincontroller" , "ProductAController" , "ExceptionController" and explain Dao approach for DB communication , components used in model like EJB , MDBs, webservices. You can also mention like for J2EE application JSP gets stored in WebContent and controller and model classes goes into src.

SRC
|____Controller
| |___LoginController
| |___ProductA_Controller
| |___ProductB_Controller
|
|____ Model
|___Module A
|___Module B
|___Module C

Thanks,
Neena
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic