One of our servlets is taking 45 seconds to respond (according to the httpwatch data) we put some debugs in our servlets service method and checked the processing time its around 4-5 seconds
I have a few queries here
1) How do find out the breakup for these 45 seconds ?
2) What are the factors I should consider (say number of concurrent access to the serlet , settings done in the WAS admin) ?
3) If it is a scalability issue from the App Server how do I go about rectifying it ?
And are either of those operations liable to be slow? What does the authentication step involve? What data do you pull back to put on the home page (if any)?
Joined: Jan 01, 2006
And are either of those operations liable to be slow?
Not really Development setup is takes around 3-4 seconds Production it also it is taking the same time(it has to go thru a LB and an IHS in production)
What does the authentication step involve?
this involves an interaction witn another web application which is deployed on the same Appserver.
What data do you pull back to put on the home page (if any)?
basically an applet containing some menus no retrieval of heavy data from database.
My point is in my IE watch data it says /MyServlet -45 seconds to respond with httpresponse
Inside my servlet the processing time i calculate is roughly around 4-5 seconds(in production Environment)
Where is the rest 40 seconds spent ?
You can get a very nice breakdown on the end-to-end response time contributors using the Firebug debugger in the Firefox browser (it's an installable plugin). That's good for finding if you have excessive traffic, too much volume, or a particular contributing URL that's offending. If your app can't run except under Internet Explorer in this day and age, that, in itself indicates trouble.
On the server side, logging is always good. Log the start/end times of command processes, turn on the timing stats of your ORM subsystem (if you're using one), and consider using a profiler.
An IDE is no substitute for an Intelligent Developer.
Joined: Jan 01, 2006
folks sorry for the late reply here are the findings.
There are four App Server Nodes(WAS Cluster Setup) on which my application is deployed out of four Nodes, 3 Nodes are taking 45 seconds where as one node is taking 8 seconds
On further Analysis we found its the DB Queries(All are read only queries) which are taking around 40 seconds in these 3 Nodes.
All the four Nodes are synchronized with a deployment Manager. All configurations such as specifying db url ,JVM args are done at the deployment manager level only.
Now what we need to find is why the 3 Nodes are taking 40 seconds to run the Database Queries.
Please let me know if you need further inputs.
I’ve looked at a lot of different solutions, and in my humble opinion Aspose is the way to go. Here’s the link: http://aspose.com