Hi Stephen ........... I am also software engg. only but this is my idea that how should we plan:
1. Analysis the business logic perfectly Because that is the main thing. Little mistakes can happen But don't do such type of mistake that affect the project in later stages.
2. make the team & decide the role of every team member.
3. Assign the work to different roles for example sql work to Sql developer java work to java developer. may be one will depend on others.
4. Usually company don't do this but this is my idea that if you have 10 team members then better to know about the capability of each team member so that you can assign them work according to that. for example there are 2 member X & Y both are doing Jsp coding but they required lot of java script code also. X is good in java script then i think it will be better to assign java script work to X don't put pressure on Y to do java script also if he is not good. in mean while time he can finish more Jsp coding.
5. Decide a team lead Or architect, He will decide from where to start work. for example If you are making a project using struts then first he will design Control flow(may be config file) of the application then rest of the team will do the coding.
He will understand the business logic & will explain to his team members.
6. Don't forget to encourage team members because they deserve it.
7. The Last & main thing after finishing the project have a Beer Party with all
May be lots of thing are there but i am not aware of those things .....probably when i will be manager i will get to know
The main things to do to not get lost in code have nothing to do with planning, but with execution: keep the code clean all the time, and make sure that everyone knows its shape.
I prefer XP-practices for doing that: Pair Programming, Test-Driven-Development, Merciless Refactoring, Whole Team etc. pp.
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny - it is the light that guides your way. - Heraclitus