I have a requirement to do loadbalancing with HTTPS request with Apache 2.2, Tomcat 6.x using mod_jk-1.2.28. I read many sites and articles, but they mostly give informations only on HTTP load balancing. I am giving you all that I collected.
1) To do HTTPS load balancing you need to use AJP13 connectors instead of AJP12.
2) Lots of forum posts saying that HTTPS request that comes to Apache web servers are not routed to Tomcat.
3) Link http://onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/09/26/load.html?page=2 which gives a very useful and high level information about HTTPS load balancers, but it say you have to use a Web Server along with Web server adapter(I dont know what really a web server adapter is). This site says that my certificate related information should be present in Web server(Apache)
I have some doubts regarding these
1) If I do a load balancing in this way where should I have my certificate related information, whether in Tomcat instances or Apache Webserver??(my finding in step 3 above).
2) If Apache 2.2 receives a HTTPS request will it directly look into the mod_jk conf files to divert the request to Tomcat or will it start using its SSL implementation from mod_ssl configurations. Is there any additional configurations I have to do to override mod_ssl and for this load balancing mechanism to work?
3) Should my httpd.conf and worker.properties file contain additional information for HTTPS load balancing.
Any help regarding this is heartily appreciated as I am half my design phase.
Thanks in advance
Joined: Jan 12, 2009
Is there any one for a reply??
Joined: Jan 12, 2009
I was able to setup Tomcat 6.0 with Apache 2.2 with mod_jk-1.2.28. I have to load balance HTTPS request with mod_jk-1.2.28, I had my certificates in Tomcat 6.0 and the system goes on fine. I read a bug in mod_jk-1.2.28 https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=47714 and tried to go with mod_proxy_ajp but I am not able to do HTTPS load balancing. Can any one who has tried HTTPS load balancing with mod_proxy_ajp help me out with it???