wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Java in General and the fly likes Thread: wait() and notify() Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Java in General
Bookmark "Thread: wait() and notify()" Watch "Thread: wait() and notify()" New topic
Author

Thread: wait() and notify()

Kee Kee moon
Ranch Hand

I am studying Thread but I don't fully understand yet. I got NullPointerException from the program below.
Please shed a light.

// Below is the program I ran.

}
Rob Spoor
Sheriff

operator is still null because you never give it a value.

SCJP 1.4 - SCJP 6 - SCWCD 5 - OCEEJBD 6
How To Ask Questions How To Answer Questions
Kee Kee moon
Ranch Hand

Rob Prime wrote:operator is still null because you never give it a value.

It probably is a dumb question.
I add a line: Operator operator = new Operator() but it waits forever, never come back.

Rob Spoor
Sheriff

Well, that's because of the "while (true)". That means never stop. However, even if that loop would end the thread would not. That's because there will never be a notify(All) on that very same Operator instance.

Try the following:
This will print "Waiting", then waits 5 seconds, then will alternatively print out "No more" and "Waiting" until you press CTRL+Z to terminate the JVM.
Kee Kee moon
Ranch Hand

Rob Prime wrote:Well, that's because of the "while (true)". That means never stop. However, even if that loop would end the thread would not. That's because there will never be a notify(All) on that very same Operator instance.

Try the following:
This will print "Waiting", then waits 5 seconds, then will alternatively print out "No more" and "Waiting" until you press CTRL+Z to terminate the JVM.

Thank you very much !!!

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Thread: wait() and notify()