Granny's Programming Pearls
"inside of every large program is a small program struggling to get out"
JavaRanch.com/granny.jsp
The moose likes Testing and the fly likes * Welcome Paul Butcher Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » Testing
Bookmark "* Welcome Paul Butcher" Watch "* Welcome Paul Butcher" New topic
Author

* Welcome Paul Butcher

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal

Joined: May 26, 2003
Posts: 30764
    
156

This week, we're delighted to have Paul Butcher helping to answer questions about the new book Debug It!. See the table of contents online.

The promotion starts Tuesday, January 12th 2010 and will end on Friday, January 15th 2010.

We'll be selecting four random posters in this forum to win a free copy of the book provided by the publisher, Pragmatic.

Please see the Book Promotion page to ensure your best chances at winning!

Posts in this welcome thread are not eligible for the drawing.


[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2
Katrina Owen
Sheriff

Joined: Nov 03, 2006
Posts: 1364
    
  17
Welcome!

Just popping in to say that I bought "Debug It" as soon as it came out, and it is fabulous.
Andy Lam
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 04, 2009
Posts: 2
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:This week, we're delighted to have Paul Butcher helping to answer questions about the new book Debug It!. See the table of contents online.

The promotion starts Tuesday, January 12th 2010 and will end on Friday, January 15th 2010.

We'll be selecting four random posters in this forum to win a free copy of the book provided by the publisher, Pragmatic.

Please see the Book Promotion page to ensure your best chances at winning!

Posts in this welcome thread are not eligible for the drawing.




Welcome ! Welcome debug it! Welcome debug the book.


Is that all I need to do. Or something else ?It is my first time to join JavaRanch Book Promotions . Welcome any suggestion.
Gian Franco
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 16, 2003
Posts: 977
Welcome Paul


"Eppur si muove!"
Michael Breuer
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 18, 2007
Posts: 7
this has many interesting topics, from debugging, to versioning and the lifecycle.
We will get the big view on debugging.
Paul Butcher
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 26, 2009
Posts: 41
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:This week, we're delighted to have Paul Butcher helping to answer questions about the new book Debug It!. See the table of contents online.


Very many thanks Jeanne, and to everyone else for the welcome.

Just a quick note to let you know that I'm based in the UK, so don't be surprised to see me posting at strange times of the day :-)

Thanks!


paul.butcher->msgCount++

Author of Debug It!: Find, Repair, and Prevent Bugs in Your Code
Rodrigo Bossini
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 03, 2009
Posts: 113
Hi all,

I'd like to ask a question to Paul:

During software development, what are some good strategies to make sure that you are making a "debugable" sotware?
When exactly do you start thinking about it? During software design? Only once you started coding?

Thank you.

Rodrigo.


I see wind mills
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 10210
    
166

Rodrigo,

Please create a separate thread to discuss your question. This thread is for welcoming the author


[My Blog] [JavaRanch Journal]
Paul Butcher
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 26, 2009
Posts: 41
Jaikiran Pai wrote:Rodrigo,

Please create a separate thread to discuss your question. This thread is for welcoming the author


I've created a separate thread in which I've answered Rodrigo's question here
Jose Ayerdis
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 14, 2008
Posts: 30
welcome to the ranch paul
jerry Bal
Greenhorn

Joined: Aug 20, 2009
Posts: 3
Welcome Paul !!

I have posted a question on a seperate thread "Question regarding debugging different types of applications"

I will appreciate if you can take out some time to answer the same.

regards,
Raj
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal

Joined: May 26, 2003
Posts: 30764
    
156

Andy Lam wrote:Is that all I need to do. Or something else ?It is my first time to join JavaRanch Book Promotions . Welcome any suggestion.

Welcome to JavaRanch! Posting in this thread welcomes the author, but does not enter you in the promo. Start a thread or reply to any thread in this forum for an entry. More posts = more chances to win. (With some disclaimers - "I want to win" doesn't enter you.)
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender

Joined: Mar 24, 2008
Posts: 3838

Welcome Paul


SCJP 5 | SCWCD 5
[How to ask questions] [Twitter]
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender

Joined: Nov 08, 2003
Posts: 3479

Hey Paul,
Currently I'm reading your book.
I would like to take the chance to thanks and congrats you for this great gem.
Paul Butcher
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 26, 2009
Posts: 41
Katrina Owen wrote:Welcome!

Just popping in to say that I bought "Debug It" as soon as it came out, and it is fabulous.

John Todd wrote:Hey Paul,
Currently I'm reading your book.
I would like to take the chance to thanks and congrats you for this great gem.


Katrina, John,

Many thanks for the kind words - I appreciate the feedback.

Would you mind if I was very cheeky and asked you to post a review on Amazon. It all helps get the word out!

Thanks again,
Katrina Owen
Sheriff

Joined: Nov 03, 2006
Posts: 1364
    
  17
Review on amazon coming up!
Folkert Meeuw
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 25, 2009
Posts: 21
Hello Paul,
welcome to Big Moose Saloon, too.

I will creat a new topic and it would be interesting for me, hear your experience.

Folkert M.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: * Welcome Paul Butcher