This week's book giveaway is in the OO, Patterns, UML and Refactoring forum. We're giving away four copies of Refactoring for Software Design Smells: Managing Technical Debt and have Girish Suryanarayana, Ganesh Samarthyam & Tushar Sharma on-line! See this thread for details.
Actually it turns out that I wasn't infected. However, when I downloaded the email, Norton told me that it was infected and that it couldn't deal with it. It wasn't until many hours later that I discovered that the virus was deleted when I deleted the spam (without reading it). Anyway, I spent my time installing the MS service pack 4 which seems to have affected my browser in weird ways. At any rate, that's the only reason I could come up with for why I can get to my ISP's web site and MicroSoft's web site, but can't get to JavaRanch or Norton or MyPage.com or a few other URLs. So I downloaded the antiVirus from Norton by using my other computer and used my intranet to copy it to my main (affected) computer. When I ran it, it said I wasn't infected, but I didn't believe it. So I ran my AntiVirus software in "intense" mode which took 4 hours and 22 minutes.
Meanwhile, I finally discovered that I really didn't have the virus, but by that time I had to go to bed so I could get up early (4:30 a.m.) to come to work today. After work I have a rehearsal, and after the rehearsal I'll try to get as much nitpicking done as possible this evening. I'll post elsewhere about the browser problem and maybe someone will have a suggestion.