So, I'm compiling like crazy, and I keep seeing twenty permutations being compiled by the Google Web Toolkit compiler. Anyways, I started thinking, "How can I reduce the number of permutations?"
Apparently, there's a permutation for each language and browser that your app supports. So, if you've got four browsers and three languages, you get at least twelve permutations. I think GWT defaults to supporting four browsers or something.
Anyways, but specifying only the browser you are using during local testing, you can greatly reduce the number of permutations, and greatly speed up complication. It's just set-property entry in the gwt.xml file for your module. So, to use only ie, you can make the following entry (I had to use Internet Explorer as my Chrome Dev release keeps crashing):
<set-property name="user.agent" value="ie6"/>
Other options are ie6, gecko1_8, safari...I'm not sure the that user.agent name is for Chrome. Gecko1.8 is Firefox apparently.
This took me down to only two permutations, and improved compiler performance time greatly.
Feel free to add on any other hints for improving the GWT compile time. I'd love to hear them!
This helped me with my problem as well. I had about 7 modules each compiling 24 times taking 25 minutes. Added this statement cut the compile in half. I then realized I could use Eclipse to control which modules I was compiling based upon where I made my changes. Together this reduced my compiling times for testing down to a more manageable 2 minutes.