my dog learned polymorphism*
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes SCJP 6.0 Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide this week in the OCPJP forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "SCJP 6.0 " Watch "SCJP 6.0 " New topic
Author

SCJP 6.0

Rafi Fareen
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 28, 2009
Posts: 75
hi guys,

I have been reading this book (SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Study Guide (Exam 310-065) by Bates & Sierra reprint edition 2009.

I will be appearing for the exam maybe on 10th of February 2010, yet i have to cover the collections and thread chapters.

I didn't really understand the marking system as well the number of marks allotted to each chapter. Are all the chapter's equally important or some chapters will have more questions than others ?

besides there are question have have more than one correct choice. for example if in a question there is two correct choice and i figure only one, does that mean i will get half marks for that questions or the question is considered totally wrong.


If anyone can tell me the difference between (==) and .equals() method.

does .equals() check for object type as well as for the values?

when i say ,

String s1 = "hi";
String s2 = new String("hi");

System.out.println(s1==s2); //outputs: false
System.out.println(s1.equals(s2)); //outputs: true

i know that s1 is stored in string constant pool and s2 is an object stored in memory, but the values are same, i mean this two methods are confusing me a bit, just wanna know which one focuses on object type and which one on value or both.

regards,


Minhaj Mehmood
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 22, 2007
Posts: 400

Rafi Fareen wrote:
If anyone can tell me the difference between (==) and .equals() method.

does .equals() check for object type as well as for the values?

when i say ,

String s1 = "hi";
String s2 = new String("hi");

System.out.println(s1==s2); //outputs: false
System.out.println(s1.equals(s2)); //outputs: true

i know that s1 is stored in string constant pool and s2 is an object stored in memory, but the values are same, i mean this two methods are confusing me a bit, just wanna know which one focuses on object type and which one on value or both.

regards,




System.out.println(s1==s2); //outputs: false
basically == check the memory address whether both object refer to same object in memory or not.

System.out.println(s1.equals(s2)); //outputs: true
and equals(obj) check whether the both string objs are equal meaningfully or not.


hth.


SCJP6 96% | SCWCD5 81% | SCDJWS5 79%
Minhaj Mehmood
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 22, 2007
Posts: 400

regarding your question about marking system.

Yes, all chapters are equally important, and this is also possible you will have 0 questions from threads or 0 question from collections and so on....
i think that's totally depend on the sun - as per my research.
in my case i got only 3 questions from thread but i know one of my colleague who got 12 questions only from threads section therefor its totally depends on your luck :P
Ankit Garg
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 03, 2008
Posts: 9307
    
  17

Rafi, please Use A Meaningful Subject Line when you start a topic.

Regarding String comparison, read a tutorial like this or this or this...


SCJP 6 | SCWCD 5 | Javaranch SCJP FAQ | SCWCD Links
Rizvan Asgarov
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 07, 2009
Posts: 451

Rafi Fareen wrote:
Are all the chapter's equally important or some chapters will have more questions than others ?


All the chapters are really very important... I had met some questions with threads when i have participated in this exam... Unfortunately that I will be compelled to give this exam for the second time

"Half of the science is to ask question"
Rafi Fareen
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 28, 2009
Posts: 75
Rizvan Asgarov wrote:
Rafi Fareen wrote:
Are all the chapter's equally important or some chapters will have more questions than others ?


All the chapters are really very important... I had met some questions with threads when i have participated in this exam... Unfortunately that I will be compelled to give this exam for the second time



Ankit Garg ;) i got it, from next time i will use proper subject line.

Rizvan Asgarov, i'm studying these chapters and definitely will not appear for the exam again ;) once and final.
I will post what happens in the exam, not sure yet when i will appear for it.

Thanks M M Kaimkhani for the useful reply, but no one answered one questions, maybe Ankit Garg can answer it.

if a question is having to correct choice and i be able to select one of the two correct choice, does that mean i will get half mark of the question or the question is considered false in whole.

regards,

Rafi
Neha Daga
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 30, 2009
Posts: 504
no. you will get zero marks if you give one correct answer for a question having more than one correct answers.


SCJP 1.6 96%
Jehaan Butt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 05, 2009
Posts: 41
Good luck for the exam, I am also planning to take it during the next two weeks, and am sure I won't have to give it again


SCJP 6
Rafi Fareen
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 28, 2009
Posts: 75
Neha Daga wrote:no. you will get zero marks if you give one correct answer for a question having more than one correct answers.


thanks that is what i wanted to know.

regards,

Note: I have become a "Ranch Hand" what's that supposed to mean ... any specialty???

 
Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
 
subject: SCJP 6.0