wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Mac OS and the fly likes Mac Book Pro - Suggestions needed Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » Mac OS
Bookmark "Mac Book Pro - Suggestions needed" Watch "Mac Book Pro - Suggestions needed" New topic
Author

Mac Book Pro - Suggestions needed

Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Guys,

I guess some of you might already be owning a Mac Book Pro. I just had a chance to see and use the machine. I have in fact seen them in many shops but never intended to have a closer look at them. I was always a big fan of Lenovo. But now after using a Mac Book Pro for a while (was very brief indeed), I really liked it. I'm just planning to buy a new notebook for myself. I already have a Lenovo R61 and I was thinking to sell (or hand it over to my wife) and get myself a Lenovo T400s or T400 or perhaps a T500. Now after seeing this mac book pro, I'm a bit confused. So far I was totally satisfied with the performance of my R61. But it is time for me to upgrade. So with respect to the Mac Book Pro, I have the following questions.

1. How far is the reflection of the keyboard on the screen when moving the screen towards us (especially when viewing videos)

2. Power supply towards the side and not at the back

3. Is the double touch pad a feature of the OS or of the mac book pro

4. Sim card possibility? (available in T500...)

Can anyone who owns a Mac Book Pro suggest on these lines?


SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 1.4 - Hints for you, Certified Scrum Master
Did a rm -R / to find out that I lost my entire Linux installation!
Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Marshal Commander

Joined: Mar 28, 2003
Posts: 11405
    
  81

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:1. How far is the reflection of the keyboard on the screen when moving the screen towards us (especially when viewing videos)

I've never noticed a reflection of the keyboard on the screen.

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:2. Power supply towards the side and not at the back

Umm, what's your question?

The power supply connection point is on the side. Since the connector glows yellow for charging or green for fully charged, it makes sense to me that it is visible.

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:3. Is the double touch pad a feature of the OS or of the mac book pro

If my understanding is correct, it is both.

The double (or triple) finger strokes only work within OS/X, and only work on a Mac laptop that has a recent enough mousepad. So if you run Windows or Linux on your MacBook pro you will not get the multi-finger recognition.

Likewise if you installed OS/X on a Mac G4 laptop, the multi-finger recognition will be absent.

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:4. Sim card possibility? (available in T500...)

Not directly, but there are add-on devices.


The Sun Certified Java Developer Exam with J2SE 5: paper version from Amazon, PDF from Apress, Online reference: Books 24x7 Personal blog
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Thanks for the reply. But why are the features like integrated camera, fingerprint log in, audio control buttons not present? I would like to hvae them on the machine. Is that possible?
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14074
    
  16

The MacBook Pro does have an integrated camera (above the screen) and also has audio control keys on the keyboard (on the rop right). It doesn't have a fingerprint scanner, but that's not really an essential feature (I had a Dell laptop with a fingerprint reader, it was a nice gimmick, but not something I couldn't live without).

I've had a MacBook Pro (15-inch) since last summer, and it's the nicest laptop I've ever had.


Java Beginners FAQ - JavaRanch SCJP FAQ - The Java Tutorial - Java SE 7 API documentation
Scala Notes - My blog about Scala
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Jesper Young wrote:The MacBook Pro does have an integrated camera (above the screen) and also has audio control keys on the keyboard (on the rop right). It doesn't have a fingerprint scanner, but that's not really an essential feature (I had a Dell laptop with a fingerprint reader, it was a nice gimmick, but not something I couldn't live without).

I've had a MacBook Pro (15-inch) since last summer, and it's the nicest laptop I've ever had.


I can compromise on the finger print scanner. But another question that popped up is how hot would the backlit keys become if say for example I use my laptop the whole night?
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41182
    
  45
Not hot at all.


Ping & DNS - my free Android networking tools app
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Ulf,

Do you also own a Mac Book Pro?
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Even before trying it out, I'm turning out to be a Mac maniac. Guys, could anyone here do a comparison on the pros and cons of the Mac Book Pro? I'm seriously thinkg as to why my next book shouldn't be a Mac Book Pro!
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60822
    
  65

It runs OS X.

Slam dunk!


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Found this. http://www.notebookreview.com/price/product.asp?productFamilyID=1440 How true would that be?
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Bear Bibeault wrote:It runs OS X.

Slam dunk!


I assume that you own a Mac Book Pro. Can you comment on the heat dissipation of the machine. On my Lenovo R61 which I keep it on for weeks together, nothing happens. I mean I have it turned on and eventually end up working on it say for about 10 hours and then it is just lying there for the rest 14 hours and the cycle repeats. I have never noticed or felt my machine getting hot either on the keypad or from behind. Now, how is this comparable with the Mac Book Pro?

Another thing that I would like to know with the machine is about the partition. I currently have a Ubuntu dual boot on my Lenovo R61. Is it possible that me after buying a Mac Book Pro, partition the 250 GB HDD and install Ubuntu alongside OS X? Infos needed!
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

I'm going mad asking questions here. My other option is a Lenovo T400. Would need to decide in another 2 weeks.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60822
    
  65

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:I assume that you own a Mac Book Pro.

More accurately, my company does. It's my daily work machine, and I take it home every evening and use it there as well. (And yes, my company is OK with me using it for casual use, as well as other uses like authoring my books).

Can you comment on the heat dissipation of the machine

Mac Book Pros are known for getting warm, especially around the battery, when the CPU is in high use. It's never been a problem.

The machine is on constantly -- I never shut it down.

Another thing that I would like to know with the machine is about the partition

I don't dual boot, so I cannot comment on that. In my previous job I ran Ubuntu within a Parallels virtual machine without problem.
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff

Joined: Feb 05, 2001
Posts: 17249
    
    6

Yeah, instead of dual boot, which you can do, I just use VMWare Fusion and I can have both running at the same time and just hit CTRL-1 or CTRL-3 to switch between the two immediately.

There is some warmth to my Macbook Pro, but not overly hot. I do use a lap cooler underneath it if I am putting it on my lap.

To Me Mac machines are so far above PC laptops that it is a no brainer for me. I don't need fingerprint, and if that feature alone is what is being used to determine a michine to get, I am not sure your priorities are in the right order. To me processing power, memory, speed, functionality is more important. With a Mac 2 GB of Ram is all I need compared to at least 4GB on a PC.

Hope that helps.

Mark


Perfect World Programming, LLC - Two Laptop Bag - Tube Organizer
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way FAQ
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

I agree that I can use a VMWare which I currently do but sometimes I find it a bit under performant. So that is the reason why I would like to do a dual boot on my new machine. I would be using my computer for some serious development. So speed is vital. I have been using VMWare all these days to just get a feel and in fact to get used to the CLI in Linux. Now I'm confident that I can dual boot my machine and work with Linux without much difficulties.

So finally I have come down to three options:

(1) Upgrade the hardware for my current machine - Upgrade the HDD from 160 GB to 250 or 300 GB
(2) Buy a Mac Book Pro - Sell the R61 that I have
(3) Buy a Lenovo T400 - Sell the R61 that I have

So will have do some rigorous analysis and decide accordingly.
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff

Joined: Feb 05, 2001
Posts: 17249
    
    6

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:I agree that I can use a VMWare which I currently do but sometimes I find it a bit under performant. So that is the reason why I would like to do a dual boot on my new machine. I would be using my computer for some serious development. So speed is vital. I have been using VMWare all these days to just get a feel and in fact to get used to the CLI in Linux. Now I'm confident that I can dual boot my machine and work with Linux without much difficulties.

So finally I have come down to three options:

(1) Upgrade the hardware for my current machine - Upgrade the HDD from 160 GB to 250 or 300 GB
(2) Buy a Mac Book Pro - Sell the R61 that I have
(3) Buy a Lenovo T400 - Sell the R61 that I have

So will have do some rigorous analysis and decide accordingly.


I find Ubuntu in VMWare Fusion on Mac to run just as fast as a separate machine booting into Ubuntu.

Mark
Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Marshal Commander

Joined: Mar 28, 2003
Posts: 11405
    
  81

Bear Bibeault wrote:
Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:Can you comment on the heat dissipation of the machine

Mac Book Pros are known for getting warm, especially around the battery, when the CPU is in high use. It's never been a problem.

The machine is on constantly -- I never shut it down.

I notice that it is warmer if I am playing a game that is pushing CPU and graphics to the max. Still not hot enough for me to take the laptop off my lap or remove my hands from the keyboard. But noticeably warm.

My MacBook Pro is on 24*7 as well.

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:Another thing that I would like to know with the machine is about the partition

I have my MacBook Pro triple booting: Mac OSX, Microsoft Windows XP, and Ubuntu. All 3 work perfectly.

Having said that, the last time I booted into XP was a month ago, and Ubuntu was about 4 months ago. I just don't have a need for them most of the time - I set them up in case I would have a future need and rarely touched them since.
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

The replies seems quite promising. Let me go to a shop and feel the Mack Book Pro!
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14074
    
  16

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:I assume that you own a Mac Book Pro. Can you comment on the heat dissipation of the machine.

My MacBook Pro never gets really hot. The keyboard lighting does not get hot at all. I guess the lights are LEDs, which do not get hot.

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:Another thing that I would like to know with the machine is about the partition. I currently have a Ubuntu dual boot on my Lenovo R61. Is it possible that me after buying a Mac Book Pro, partition the 250 GB HDD and install Ubuntu alongside OS X? Infos needed!

You can run Ubuntu on a MacBook Pro, but not everything will work smoothly. See the Apple Users forum on ubuntuforums.org. I have Ubuntu in a VirtualBox VM on my MacBook Pro, but I don't use it very often. In a virtual machine, it works differently than when you run it natively, and it works without any problems.
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Another question that came to my mind is with the double touch pad. Does the scroll with two fingers on the touch pad work the same way they work with the Mac OS?
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Do we need to manually install all the device drivers on a Mac Book Pro for the Windows 7?
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14074
    
  16

Google for "Windows 7 on MacBook Pro" and you'll find info on how to install Windows 7 on a MacBook Pro. As far as I know, Bootcamp (the Mac's boot program) was recently updated to support Windows 7. Yes, you will need to install drivers for Windows 7 yourself.
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Jesper Young wrote:Google for "Windows 7 on MacBook Pro" and you'll find info on how to install Windows 7 on a MacBook Pro. As far as I know, Bootcamp (the Mac's boot program) was recently updated to support Windows 7. Yes, you will need to install drivers for Windows 7 yourself.


Installing drivers manually ... no good!
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14074
    
  16

Installing drivers manually is normal when you're installing Windows. Even on a regular PC you'll have to manually install drivers if you're installing Windows.
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Fine, as long as that's installable it is ok. Another question is on the screen. I guess there are two options for the screen.

(1) The glossy screen which has the problems of reflection
(2) The matt screen

Which one should I consider. I would be using my machine sitting in my balcanoy which has a decent sunlight. So I cannot tolerate any reflection on the screen. Which one should I consider?
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Also, do I have to wait for the Core i5 or the Core i7 Quad core processor or just go for the Dual Core which is currently available?
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60822
    
  65

If you are always waiting for "the next great thing", you will never buy anything.
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

After so much thought, I decided to simply upgrade my existing machine. I already have a Core 2 Duo and I do not want to do an upgrade for the same processor. May be use the one that I have for 2 more years and later go for Quad Core. Hopefully by that time I guess we might have many more options to choose from. Anyways, guys thanks for all your information regarding the Mac Book Pro!
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Another reason for my decision is to get a new machine with a Solid state HDD which I cannot afford right now. May be after a couple of years, the prices come down!
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Bear Bibeault wrote:If you are always waiting for "the next great thing", you will never buy anything.


Good one Bear!
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff

Joined: Feb 05, 2001
Posts: 17249
    
    6

It was too easy to see that you wouldn't choose a Mac because you were nitpicking things that just aren't big deals. You were just trying to come up with reasons not to buy a Mac.

It is a shame because regardless of waiting a month or two for a quad processor in a MacBook, the MacBooks are so much more superior to any other laptops out there.

Enjoy your upgrade.

Mark
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Mark Spritzler wrote:It was too easy to see that you wouldn't choose a Mac because you were nitpicking things that just aren't big deals. You were just trying to come up with reasons not to buy a Mac.

It is a shame because regardless of waiting a month or two for a quad processor in a MacBook, the MacBooks are so much more superior to any other laptops out there.

Enjoy your upgrade.

Mark


I never bothered about a Mac Book or any products related the Apple. When I wanted to buy a smartfone, I never considered the Apple iPhone. When Android was launched, I never had any second thought and simply bought a Android powered device. But last week, one of my colleague showed me his Mack Book Pro 13" and I was simply amazed with its features, especially the double touch pad. After seeing it, I decided that my next computer would be a Mack Book Pro. But seriously I did not want to invest that much on a new machine right now as my Lenovo R61 satisfies most of my needs. Then I though to ask you guys on some of the questions that started popping up my mind since the time that I saw my colleagues Mac Book. My confusions were answered and now I'm clear that if at all I buy a new notebook, it will be a Mac Book. Anyways, I have to go shopping today evening and may be look for some Mack Boo Pro. I'm a big spendthrift and who knows I may even end up just buying it. But if I do so, then what would I do with my Lenovo R61? Sell it? How much would I get for it? I guess I paid around 1300 Euros two years before for this one and how much could I expect to get in case I sell it? I thought about all this and that was the reason which made up my mind not to buy the Mac Book Pro right now.
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Another question that I have in my mind is on the graphics card. I have the following in my machine...

Graphics

* Intel PM965/GM965 graphics
* 128MB nVidia Quadro NVS 140M

How is the graphics card in Mac Book Pro different from the one that I have in my machine. I know that the graphics card that I have in my machine is not that good as it is obvious form the video quality that I see on my machine.
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff

Joined: Feb 05, 2001
Posts: 17249
    
    6

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:Another question that I have in my mind is on the graphics card. I have the following in my machine...

Graphics

* Intel PM965/GM965 graphics
* 128MB nVidia Quadro NVS 140M

How is the graphics card in Mac Book Pro different from the one that I have in my machine. I know that the graphics card that I have in my machine is not that good as it is obvious form the video quality that I see on my machine.


I watch HD movies on my Mac while flying and love the picture I get.

Mark
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Got the Graphics card rank list from this website

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Graphic-Cards.130.0.html

Surprising to know that the one on my machine which is 2 years old has a better graphics card than the Mac Book Pro.
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff

Joined: Feb 05, 2001
Posts: 17249
    
    6


The card was introduced in October 2008 in conjunction with the new Apple MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air products (called only 9400M). At the time of announcement it was the fastest mGPU (motherboard GPU) on the market.


From that same link.

As you can see they are due for an upgrade in the next versions of the MacBooks, which I expect anytime soon.

Also note that they always take the latest and greatest.

It is starting to feel like instead of ever seriously considering a MacBook, that instead you want to try to nitpick and find something wrong with it so you can talk yourself out of it. Trying to convince that small sensible part of you that knows that Macs are far superior. ;)

At his point I recommend closing this thread, go out an buy an upgrade to your laptop or buy a PC.

Mark
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14074
    
  16

The current MacBook Pro (the 15-inch version) is available with two options for the graphics card. The cheapest model as an nVidia 9400M, and the two more expensive models have two graphics cards: an nVidia 9400M plus an nVidia 9600M. Normally it uses the 9400M but you can switch to the 9600M if you want to use a graphics-intensive application (but switching does require logging out and in). The 9600M is more powerful but also uses more power, which will make the laptop hotter and empty the battery quicker.

I almost never switch to the 9600M, the 9400M is more than good enough for almost all applications that I run.
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Mark Spritzler wrote:

The card was introduced in October 2008 in conjunction with the new Apple MacBook, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air products (called only 9400M). At the time of announcement it was the fastest mGPU (motherboard GPU) on the market.


From that same link.

As you can see they are due for an upgrade in the next versions of the MacBooks, which I expect anytime soon.

Also note that they always take the latest and greatest.

It is starting to feel like instead of ever seriously considering a MacBook, that instead you want to try to nitpick and find something wrong with it so you can talk yourself out of it. Trying to convince that small sensible part of you that knows that Macs are far superior. ;)

At his point I recommend closing this thread, go out an buy an upgrade to your laptop or buy a PC.

Mark


I really like the Mac and I can see that we do not have much options here like we have for other notebooks. When I first bought my Lenovo R61, I had so many other options from Lenovo to choose from and now I'm seriously considering to get a Mack Book but this time around I want to buy the machine with exactly knowing what hardware it has. This was the reason why I'm trying to extract and gather as much information as I could. From your replies and suggestions, I'm convinced that Mac is trustworthy. Trust me... my next machine is a Mac but it will not be now.
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff

Joined: Feb 05, 2001
Posts: 17249
    
    6

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:

I really like the Mac and I can see that we do not have much options here like we have for other notebooks. When I first bought my Lenovo R61, I had so many other options from Lenovo to choose from and now I'm seriously considering to get a Mack Book but this time around I want to buy the machine with exactly knowing what hardware it has. This was the reason why I'm trying to extract and gather as much information as I could. From your replies and suggestions, I'm convinced that Mac is trustworthy. Trust me... my next machine is a Mac but it will not be now.


Yes, Mac is much different in that you don't have a thousand options, so it won't confuse people and because you can trust Apple to get the best components in the machine, that is why they aren't cheap, and aren't being cheap about it. Quality, Ease and Design is always extremely high with Apple products.

Mark
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9345
    
    2

Just check this link! http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_mini
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Mac Book Pro - Suggestions needed
 
Similar Threads
How to connect to the internet from Ubuntu
Experience on Mac OS X for JavaEE Development
Laptop: which brand to choose?
Is Mac OS X a free version
Dell studio 15 or Dell studio xps 13