• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Problems with Tomcat + ssl

 
Ole Wendland
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Guys,
I'm trying to get an encryption for my Tomcat 6 running, but up till now I fail miserably. I tried to follow this two Tutorials (http://techtracer.com/2007/09/12/setting-up-ssl-on-tomcat-in-3-easy-steps/) and (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/ssl-howto.html) but I always get the ssl_error_rx_record_too_long error in the end. Numberous forum post suggest to edit the <VirtualHost *:443> tag, but gues what, Tomcat has none, only Apache has.

The interessting parts of the server.xml look like this:

<Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener" SSLEngine="on" />

<Connector protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol" port="8443"
maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75"
enableLookups="true" disableUploadTimeout="true"
acceptCount="100" debug="0" scheme="https" secure="true"
clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS"
keystoreFile="../webapps/test.bin"
keystorePass="****" />

The commad which I used for generating the certificate was:
keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA (I tried it with and without the option -selfcert)

Has someone an idea what could be wrong?

Greetings Ole


 
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Pie
Posts: 18212
53
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to the JavaRanch, Ole.

That message comes from Apache, not Tomcat. So yes, you need to fix Apache.

When you front Tomcat with Apache, you instruct Apache to forward requests over a connector. Instead of using the direct-in default Tomcat ports of 8080 (http) and 8443 (https), you'd normally use the more common ports 80 (http) and 443 (https) in Apache. Apache would then forward to the Tomcat ports when it detects a Tomcat URL (as defined in Apache's config files).
 
quang diep
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
it's easy to fix, you only delete tc-native.dll in document bin of tomcat. With tomcat6, it has tc-native.dll, therefor it uses apr, if you want to apr, you should read apr documents
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic