File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Development and Deployment

 
MaheshS Kumbhar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 188
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What do we mean Development environment and Deployment environment with respect to Servlets and JSP?
 
Paul Sturrock
Bartender
Posts: 10336
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
One is the environment we develop in, the other the environment we deploy to.
 
MaheshS Kumbhar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 188
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
To be very honest, I didn't get the above explaination.
Can anyone please elaborate?
 
Vinod Tiwari
Ranch Hand
Posts: 466
1
IntelliJ IDE Java Oracle
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Development environment is for development only. Here you do all development. Deployment environment is simply any environment where code can be deployed, it could be SIT or UAT.
 
Ninad Kulkarni
Ranch Hand
Posts: 802
Hibernate Linux Spring
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
@ MaheshS
Paul is correct.
In short development enviornment means we develop our code to obtain desired result by design, coding etc.
Once we developed our code then we make our code ready to use to obtain desired results that is known as deployment enviornment like testing application performance.

Correct me if I am wrong somewhere
 
siva anakarla
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Develop Environment is where you are used to store the files(.java,.class,.jsp,.html,.xml) for development or coding purpose..after you finished coding and executed the files successfully,

Deployment Environment
then you need to copy the same files(with directories(slight change)) to the deployment directory that is under the web container directory...
 
Paul Sturrock
Bartender
Posts: 10336
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
siva anakarla wrote:Develop Environment is where you are used to store the files(.java,.class,.jsp,.html,.xml) for development or coding purpose..after you finished coding and executed the files successfully,

Deployment Environment
then you need to copy the same files(with directories(slight change)) to the deployment directory that is under the web container directory...


I'd say both of those were a development environment. A deployment environment is a test or production enviroment (as Ninad mentioned earlier).

 
Leandro Coutinho
Ranch Hand
Posts: 423
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You should not have development tools in the deployment environment.
Both environments should have similar features, like operating system, etc.

So, about your question, you would code in development environment, generate the war file and deploy the war file in your web server (eg: tomcat) in your deployment environment.
 
Vedkumari Yadav
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Leandro Coutinho wrote:You should not have development tools in the deployment environment.
Both environments should have similar features, like operating system, etc.

So, about your question, you would code in development environment, generate the war file and deploy the war file in your web server (eg: tomcat) in your deployment environment.




Hey hi .I am new to Jsp and Servlet world.Can you please explain it in simpler word and with examples.
 
Mark E Hansen
Ranch Hand
Posts: 650
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Vedkumari Yadav wrote:Hey hi .I am new to Jsp and Servlet world.Can you please explain it in simpler word and with examples.

It's generally bad form to hijack someone else's topic for your own purposes. Rather than try to answer your here, you should begin your own topic with that question.

Thanks,
 
Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic