File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
Win a copy of Clojure in Action this week in the Clojure forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Leaving mainstream IT industries

 
Priti Chawla
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I have been associated with one of the biggest IT firms from past 7 years. With every year passing by, my job responsibilities have increased manifold which leaves me with no time for myself or family. I'm now thinking to join IT department of some other organizations like <removed company names>. which may not offer same work challenges like mainstream IT industry does but should leave me with ample amount of time for myself. Just wondering what could me other pros / cons of joining these organizations. I have seen lot of people switching to teaching jobs but thats not my cup of tea. I therefore want to remain in IT field but at the same time don't want to stress myself too much. I also don't want to compromise too much on salary as I'm financially not very strong person.

Any thoughts/suggestions in this direction are most welcome.

Thanks!
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 33697
316
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Priti Chawla wrote:I'm now thinking to join IT department of some other organizations like <removed company names>. which may not offer same work challenges like mainstream IT industry does but should leave me with ample amount of time for myself.


Priti,
We don't allow discussion of specific companies here. Maybe you could rephrase your post in terms of the type of company. Like a health care company with an IT department vs an IT company?

Any IT is job is going to have stress. Especially as you climb the career later and gain more responsibilities. Some more than others of course.

Priti Chawla wrote: I also don't want to compromise too much on salary as I'm financially not very strong person.

Overall, less time consuming IT jobs pay less. There's a reason for this. They are paying high to compensate you for not having much free time.

My advice: before leaving, look into time management. Is the problem working too many hours or being responsible for too many things or being overwhelmed or something else? The time to look into this is before you change jobs. There is a lot of work in starting a new job and learning their domain. That's not the easiest time to be evaluating yourself.
 
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand
Posts: 10045
3
Eclipse IDE Mac PPC Ubuntu
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Priti Chawla wrote:Hi All,

I have been associated with one of the biggest IT firms from past 7 years. With every year passing by, my job responsibilities have increased manifold which leaves me with no time for myself or family. I'm now thinking to join IT department of some other organizations like <removed company names>. which may not offer same work challenges like mainstream IT industry does but should leave me with ample amount of time for myself. Just wondering what could me other pros / cons of joining these organizations. I have seen lot of people switching to teaching jobs but thats not my cup of tea. I therefore want to remain in IT field but at the same time don't want to stress myself too much. I also don't want to compromise too much on salary as I'm financially not very strong person.

Any thoughts/suggestions in this direction are most welcome.

Thanks!


So you ultimately are looking for a job which pays you more, demands less work from you. It is very hard to get such a one these days.
 
Priti Chawla
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So you ultimately are looking for a job which pays you more, demands less work from you. It is very hard to get such a one these days.


Let me put it in another way for better understanding of my situation "Considering the IT standard, I'm anyways underpaid and doing more work than others getting the same salary anywhere else. So why not switch to a job, which will leave me more time for myself without compromising too much on salary. Its not about demanding more, its about getting same or little less than what I'm getting now and instead I can buy time for myself. After spending or slogging myself for 7 long years, I feel its the right time to look for a change. I'm not scared of leaving my comfort zone and seeking new challenges in the outside world. Other than salary, I was just looking for any other important aspects that I might be missing. Hence, the reason for posting a question on this forum."
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 33697
316
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Other things:
what tools will be using
will the project be interesting
how is the culture/work environment
how is the work/life balance. flexibility (this sounds like a priority to you)
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic