aspose file tools*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Looking for a new Laptop Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Looking for a new Laptop" Watch "Looking for a new Laptop" New topic
Author

Looking for a new Laptop

Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9426
    
    2

Ranchers,

I'm here asking for help in purchasing a new notebook for myself. Following is what I'd require:

Intel Core i5 530 M or higher

4GB RAM

NVIDIA Graphics

320 GB HDD

14.1" widescreen ith 1440*900 resolution

Price range of 1000 to 1500 Euros

Preferable would be Lenovo T series or Dell Lattitude. I need suggestions here as to which machines would fit for me? Help appreciated.


SCJP 1.4, SCWCD 1.4 - Hints for you, Certified Scrum Master
Did a rm -R / to find out that I lost my entire Linux installation!
ujjwal soni
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 28, 2007
Posts: 403
You can go for dell, lenovo..dell provides customized laptops


Cheers!!!
Ujjwal B Soni <baroda, gujarat, india> <+919909981973>
"Helping hands are better than praying lips......"
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 26, 2006
Posts: 9426
    
    2

ujjwal soni wrote:You can go for dell, lenovo..dell provides customized laptops


But which specific model in Dell??
Nikes Shah
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 18, 2007
Posts: 133
I recently purchased Dell Inspiron15 with 15 inch screen, i3 core, 4GB RAM,320 GB HD.

It costs me around Rs. 40500
I extended warranty period to 2 years (40500 + 3000)
Also I extended battery life from 6 cell to 9 cell ( 40500 + 3000 + 1500)
OS - Windows 7

Performance is nice.

You can also go for Dell Studio series.
marc weber
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 31, 2004
Posts: 11343

If only these companies had web sites...


"We're kind of on the level of crossword puzzle writers... And no one ever goes to them and gives them an award." ~Joe Strummer
sscce.org
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff

Joined: Feb 05, 2001
Posts: 17257
    
    6

If only that amount was enough to buy a MAC. ;)

Mark


Perfect World Programming, LLC - Two Laptop Bag - Tube Organizer
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way FAQ
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Posts: 15299
    
    6

Jothi Shankar Kumar wrote:I need suggestions here as to which machines would fit for me?


What size are you? Do you have any available expansion slots?


GenRocket - Experts at Building Test Data
Pat Farrell
Rancher

Joined: Aug 11, 2007
Posts: 4659
    
    5

For Windows, 4GB is just not enough. Of course, going to more than that really means going to Windows 64
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Posts: 15299
    
    6

Pat Farrell wrote:For Windows, 4GB is just not enough. Of course, going to more than that really means going to Windows 64


My quad core has 4GB and it is plenty. I run Windows 7 on it. And you actually need 64bit for anything above 3GB.
Gary Ba
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 23, 2009
Posts: 161

Try going to Dell and Sony websites. Dell Latitudes brand are on sale - E series
One thing for sure is you cannot set your price for the specifics you want. You usually pay for what you get.


star chaser..
Pat Farrell
Rancher

Joined: Aug 11, 2007
Posts: 4659
    
    5

Gregg Bolinger wrote:My quad core has 4GB and it is plenty. I run Windows 7 on it. And you actually need 64bit for anything above 3GB.


You have a quad core laptop? Very cool. Or, perhaps not, since most quad cores are hot little buggers.

My Lenovo has a Core 2 Duo, and it gets too hot for my lap when doing real work. It also needs lots more memory, but I'll be looking for a replacement soon, so its not worth the upgrade price.

My desktop is a quad, but I got 8GB just to have some spare when the inevitable code bloat hits.
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Posts: 15299
    
    6

Pat Farrell wrote:
Gregg Bolinger wrote:My quad core has 4GB and it is plenty. I run Windows 7 on it. And you actually need 64bit for anything above 3GB.


You have a quad core laptop? Very cool. Or, perhaps not, since most quad cores are hot little buggers.

My Lenovo has a Core 2 Duo, and it gets too hot for my lap when doing real work. It also needs lots more memory, but I'll be looking for a replacement soon, so its not worth the upgrade price.

My desktop is a quad, but I got 8GB just to have some spare when the inevitable code bloat hits.


No, I have a quad core desktop. Never felt like I needed more ram. Do I want more? YEP! But really don't need it.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Looking for a new Laptop