aspose file tools*
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes Thread doubt (examlab question) Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "Thread doubt (examlab question)" Watch "Thread doubt (examlab question)" New topic
Author

Thread doubt (examlab question)

Emanuele Ghe
Ranch Hand

Hi,
this code comes from an exam lab question:

The answer of this question is

In the explanation is stated that, even if the run() method is synchronized, there is no way to know
which thread will run first.

I think this explanation is misleading.
In my opinion the result is unpredictable because, since 2 threads are started with 2 different A objects, the synchronization is useless, because each object will acquire the lock on its A object independently from each other.

What do you think ?

p.s. I don't want to critic devaka work, is awesome. I just wanna be sure to understand everithing in the correct way.

Thanks.

SCJP6 with score 90%. I am conscious of my ignorance and ready to learn from everyone.
Javier Cortes
Greenhorn

You can indeed drop synchronized on the run method because, as you said, each Thread object is getting different locks when needed. Since synchronization was useless try and create a single object A and send it as target to both rba and rbb (don't synchronize either). You are at the same scenario here, sort of proof by contrapositive. Then, it all boils down to the fact that the JVM doesn't guarantee that the order in which the threads are started is going to be the order in which they'll become runnable.
Emanuele Ghe
Ranch Hand

Javier Cortes wrote:You can indeed drop synchronized on the run method because, as you said, each Thread object is getting different locks when needed. Since synchronization was useless try and create a single object A and send it as target to both rba and rbb (don't synchronize either). You are at the same scenario here, sort of proof by contrapositive. Then, it all boils down to the fact that the JVM doesn't guarantee that the order in which the threads are started is going to be the order in which they'll become runnable.

Thank you, you confirmed my thoughts.
Deepa Sreedhara
Ranch Hand

Emanuele Ghe wrote:Hi,
this code comes from an exam lab question:

The answer of this question is

Hi,

Can someone tell me if the Thread constructor takes another Thread object with a Runnable target, as an argument. I know this code works but just want to know how it is understood?
Its quite an old topic, I hope its okay to post the example.

jQuery in Action, 2nd edition

subject: Thread doubt (examlab question)