wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Struts and the fly likes JSF implementations Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Frameworks » Struts
Bookmark "JSF implementations" Watch "JSF implementations" New topic
Author

JSF implementations

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8904

What are the available JSF implementations?
What is the learning curve?


Groovy
James Holmes
Author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Posts: 64
There are 2 main JSF implementations available today:

Sun Reference Implementation
MyFaces

The learning curve should be the same for both as they are written to a specification. MyFaces does add a few extra bells and whistles though that you could learn.

For links to the software visit my JSF resources page at:

http://www.jamesholmes.com/JavaServerFaces/

James
Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 08, 2002
Posts: 3178
Originally posted by James Holmes:

For links to the software visit my JSF resources page at:

http://www.jamesholmes.com/JavaServerFaces/


Oh! It's great that we will have the greatest author of "Struts, The Complete Reference" and "The Art of Java", Mr.James Holmes, here and the authors of Core JavaServer Faces here!!!

BTW, Mr.James, do you have any plan to write JSF book? Some kind of "JavaServer Faces, The Complete Reference" or something? Thanks for being here and answering our doubtful questions on JSF with other authors...


Co-author of SCMAD Exam Guide, Author of JMADPlus
SCJP1.2, CCNA, SCWCD1.4, SCBCD1.3, SCMAD1.0, SCJA1.0, SCJP6.0
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8904

Thanks James. Does JSF have any other implementation other than by JSP tags. I read somewhere JSF can been implemented in different ways?
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Posts: 15299
    
    6

Originally posted by Pradeep Bhat:
Thanks James. Does JSF have any other implementation other than by JSP tags. I read somewhere JSF can been implemented in different ways?


You are talking about renderers. You can write a custom renderer that causes JSF to spit out whatever you want. The default is HTML 4.01 but you could do XUL, XSLT, XML, Foo Foo Hooy, whatever. It's very flexable.


GenRocket - Experts at Building Test Data
Cay Horstmann
author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Nov 14, 2004
Posts: 114
    
  10
Pradeep asks a great question, but AFAIK, there is currently no JSP-free implementation of JSF available. MyFaces is built on top of JSP, just like the RI.

When David and I wrote the JSF book, both of us agreed NOT to position JSF as a JSP extension. We appreciated the fact that JSF is an independent technology that is (at least theoretically) free from the JSP baggage, and that brings Java-based web development to a much broader class of developers.

A JSP-free JSF implementation might have fewer headaches in the lifecycle model and fewer surprises when mixing HTML and JSF tags. But we won't know until someone does it.

Cheers,

Cay


Author of Java 8 for the Really Impatient
Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 08, 2002
Posts: 3178
Originally posted by Cay Horstmann:
but AFAIK, there is currently no JSP-free implementation of JSF available. MyFaces is built on top of JSP, just like the RI.
............
A JSP-free JSF implementation might have fewer headaches in the lifecycle model and fewer surprises when mixing HTML and JSF tags. But we won't know until someone does it.


Then do both of you have any plan to do JSP-free implementation of JSF in the future? Since Mr.David is in Expert Group as well, it won't be a big deal to do such implementation, will it? Thanks...
David Geary
Author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 23, 2003
Posts: 45
Hans Bergsten, who is also on the JSF EG, has a very rudimentary implementation of an alternative display technology (see Improving JSF by Dumping JSP). I've taken that code and altered it a bit, but I haven't had the time to make substantial improvements.


David Geary Sabreware, Inc<br /><a href="http://www.corejsf.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.corejsf.com</a><br /> <br />Author: Graphic Java Series, Advanced JavaServerPages, Core JSTL and Core JavaServer Faces
Aaron Bartell
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 28, 2004
Posts: 2
Originally posted by James Holmes:
There are 2 main JSF implementations available today:

Sun Reference Implementation
MyFaces
...


One more to add onto that list. IBM has a good implementation of the JSF spec that comes packaged with their Websphere Development Studio client IDE.

Here is a good tutorial to look at that gives a small idea of what their IDE has to offer: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/0401_barcia/barcia.html

Note that you get the IDE "free" with your OS/400 compiler license.


Aaron Bartell
mowyourlawn.com
[ December 28, 2004: Message edited by: Aaron Bartell ]

Aaron Bartell<br /><a href="http://mowyourlawn.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://mowyourlawn.com</a>
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Posts: 15299
    
    6

Originally posted by Aaron Bartell:


One more to add onto that list. IBM has a good implementation of the JSF spec that comes packaged with their Websphere Development Studio client IDE.

Here is a good tutorial to look at that gives a small idea of what their IDE has to offer: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/0401_barcia/barcia.html

Note that you get the IDE "free" with your OS/400 compiler license.


Aaron Bartell
mowyourlawn.com

[ December 28, 2004: Message edited by: Aaron Bartell ]


Baring in mind that if using IBM's implementation you are glued to their development environment. Not necessarily a bad thing but it is something to think about.
 
It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.
 
subject: JSF implementations
 
Similar Threads
logic:iterate functionality with jsf
Renderer Kit - JSF
jsf specification
JDBC
JSF IDE?