This week's book giveaway is in the Design forum.
We're giving away four copies of Design for the Mind and have Victor S. Yocco on-line!
See this thread for details.
Win a copy of Design for the Mind this week in the Design forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Hi, problem on reinstalling the eclipse galileo.

 
Mohammad Ashrafuddin Ferdousi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 111
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hi all,
I am suffering a problem. Actually i was using eclipse galileo for a project. today, when i sit to do some works on it i am going to open eclipse. then the eclipse do some strange thing. it opens a window and show me the mesage on the window.


i found that, this information comes from eclipse.ini files and when i click ok button this exit the eclipse system. Then i delete the eclipse and unzip again and try to run. but it shows the same message. I am using windows xp and eclipse galileo my jdk is in program files/java folder. machine says that, java 1.6.0_20 but i can not find this on my program files and i actually found the java 1.6.0_17 on that java folder. Is it create some problem? please help me. I need it very badly.

Anyway, have a nice day, friend.

thanks
codeperl
 
David Newton
Author
Rancher
Posts: 12617
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'd first try with a non-_20 release; lately I've seen a fair number of issues related to it. Doesn't mean it's the problem, but it's something easy to try.
 
Mohammad Ashrafuddin Ferdousi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 111
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Can anyone suggest me, anyting else, please?
 
David Newton
Author
Rancher
Posts: 12617
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Look in the Eclipse startup log? Is there a reason you won't just try with a different version of the JDK?
 
Peter Johnson
author
Bartender
Posts: 5852
7
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Open a command prompt and enter both of these commands and post the results:

java -version
%java_home%\bin\java -version
 
Mohammad Ashrafuddin Ferdousi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 111
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Peter Johnson wrote:Open a command prompt and enter both of these commands and post the results:

java -version
%java_home%\bin\java -version



======================================================================

Peter Johnson wrote:Open a command prompt and enter both of these commands and post the results:

java -version
%java_home%\bin\java -version


thanks for your response. As you say, i am sending you the result, friend.

for java -version command i found the result as,



after running the %java_home%\bin\java -version i found the result asjava home=C:\program files\java\jre6)



And after unzip the eclipse galileo when i clicked on eclipse.exe, i found this message on a window:



And when i clicked on the "ok" button of that window, that is going to be close.

That is all what i can inform to you. Please help me friend. I will be very much oblige to you.

thanking you
codeperl

======================================================================
 
David Newton
Author
Rancher
Posts: 12617
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Again, look in the Eclipse log file to see if there's anything useful in it.
 
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender
Posts: 3913
9
Chrome Fedora Hibernate
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This seems a common problem in eclipse. Mostly it happens due to incorrect JDK version(s). Also try starting with the -clean parameter.
 
Mohammad Ashrafuddin Ferdousi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 111
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you every one. I solve it atlast. It was not the jdk problem, it was a memory management problem. I have to set the eclipse.ini as "-Xmx256m", replacing the "-Xmx512m" and the eclipse galileo are start running!!!

Thank you anyway, for your effort.

Regards
 
David Newton
Author
Rancher
Posts: 12617
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mohammad Ashrafuddin Ferdousi wrote:I have to set the eclipse.ini as "-Xmx256m", replacing the "-Xmx512m" and the eclipse galileo are start running!!!

256m isn't enough... but it also looks like in the original you had the parameter as "-Xms512m", meaning you had two -Xms parameters.
 
Peter Johnson
author
Bartender
Posts: 5852
7
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The latest eclipse.ini contents that you posted is vastly different from the first one you posted. The first one matches what I have on Windows, which lead me not to suspect that configuration. But it looks like you made a lot of changes, with the duplicate entries of -Xms being the most probable culprits (the JVM will not run if the min heap size specified is greater than the max heap size). Also, many of the lines are set incorrectly - you should place only one term per line. For example, line 14 should be split into two lines:

-vm
C:\program files\java\jre6\bin\client\jvm.dll
 
Mohammad Ashrafuddin Ferdousi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 111
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Peter Johnson wrote:The latest eclipse.ini contents that you posted is vastly different from the first one you posted. The first one matches what I have on Windows, which lead me not to suspect that configuration. But it looks like you made a lot of changes, with the duplicate entries of -Xms being the most probable culprits (the JVM will not run if the min heap size specified is greater than the max heap size). Also, many of the lines are set incorrectly - you should place only one term per line. For example, line 14 should be split into two lines:

-vm
C:\program files\java\jre6\bin\client\jvm.dll

Yes, You are very much right. I am already do this. thanks have a nice day.
 
Mohammad Ashrafuddin Ferdousi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 111
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
David Newton wrote:
Mohammad Ashrafuddin Ferdousi wrote:I have to set the eclipse.ini as "-Xmx256m", replacing the "-Xmx512m" and the eclipse galileo are start running!!!

256m isn't enough... but it also looks like in the original you had the parameter as "-Xms512m", meaning you had two -Xms parameters.


Thanks for your response. Can you please say, what the parameter defines for eclipse galileo?
 
David Newton
Author
Rancher
Posts: 12617
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think 512m is a good minimum.
 
Peter Johnson
author
Bartender
Posts: 5852
7
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think that David meant to say that 512m is a good minimum for the max heap size!
 
David Newton
Author
Rancher
Posts: 12617
IntelliJ IDE Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yep :D
 
Mohammad Ashrafuddin Ferdousi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 111
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you all for your support friend.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic