wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Other Open Source Projects and the fly likes solr implementation Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Products » Other Open Source Projects
Bookmark "solr implementation" Watch "solr implementation" New topic
Author

solr implementation

jonnabhatla venkata
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 10, 2009
Posts: 24
Hi All,

Has anybody worked on solr framewrok?

I need your help to implement solr in my application.

Thanks in advance,
Jonnabhatla venkata
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41137
    
  45
What, exactly, is your question? (I assume you have worked your way through the Tutorial, FAQ and Wiki that can be found on the Solr web site.)


Ping & DNS - my free Android networking tools app
jonnabhatla venkata
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 10, 2009
Posts: 24
Ulf Dittmer wrote:What, exactly, is your question? (I assume you have worked your way through the Tutorial, FAQ and Wiki that can be found on the Solr web site.)


Thanks for your quick reply...

I already gone through the solr tutorial and Wiki and configured in my solr in my desktop.

But In my application there are many big quries with joining two or more tables and some tables having composite keys.

In SOLR, I know how to import data from the table(If the table has only primary key), but if I have composite keys how do I configure in solr ?

In my application there is a search criteria(which is taking more time) which invokes 6 tables to get the results.

here are my questions...

1) Can Solr fulfil my requirement ?
2) Do I need to import all the tables into solr?
3) If I import all the tables into solr can I replace my database with solr?
4) How to handle such big queries with joins in solr??


Thanks in adavance..
Jonnabhatla venkata





jonnabhatla venkata
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 10, 2009
Posts: 24
Ulf Dittmer wrote:What, exactly, is your question? (I assume you have worked your way through the Tutorial, FAQ and Wiki that can be found on the Solr web site.)


Hi Dittmer,

Could you please reply to my above questions?

Thanks,
Jonnabhatla venkata
David Newton
Author
Rancher

Joined: Sep 29, 2008
Posts: 12617

jonnabhatla venkata wrote:Could you please reply to my above questions?

Please see PatienceIsAVirtue : waiting only an hour for free help on a volunteer-based forum doesn't seem like enough time.
David Newton
Author
Rancher

Joined: Sep 29, 2008
Posts: 12617

jonnabhatla venkata wrote:4) How to handle such big queries with joins in solr??

This question doesn't make sense to me, with the caveat that I've only played around with it.

But *documents* are added to Solr, so "big queries with joins" makes no sense. It's a text search application; there are no "tables" or "joins" on the user view--you're just querying text. What joins and "big queries" are you referring to?
jonnabhatla venkata
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 10, 2009
Posts: 24
Hi David Newton,

Thanks for you reply.......


My problem is I have a search scenario which is invoking many tables and taking more than 8 mins.

I came to know that If I use solr I can reduce this time greatly...

Is solr solve my problem ? If yes, Please explain the procedure..

Thanks in advance.....

Jonnabhatla venkata
David Newton
Author
Rancher

Joined: Sep 29, 2008
Posts: 12617

Probably not.
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41137
    
  45
I came to know that If I use solr I can reduce this time greatly.

If you know this already, then what are you looking for?
jonnabhatla venkata
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 10, 2009
Posts: 24
Ulf Dittmer wrote:
I came to know that If I use solr I can reduce this time greatly.

If you know this already, then what are you looking for?



Hi Dittmer,

I know solr will do reduce the time, but I dont know how to configure this
in my application to achieve this.

please answer to my questions in my previous posts.

Any help appreciated..

Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41137
    
  45
"jonnabhatla venkata", please read your private messages and act accordingly.
jonnabhatla venkata
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 10, 2009
Posts: 24
Ulf Dittmer wrote:"jonnabhatla venkata", please read your private messages and act accordingly.


I changed my signature...
David Newton
Author
Rancher

Joined: Sep 29, 2008
Posts: 12617

jonnabhatla venkata wrote:I know solr will do reduce the time, but I dont know how to configure this

How do you know this? Or, more accurately, why do you think this?

Solr isn't for querying tables, it's for doing full-text querying. Unless you're doing the joins "off-cycle" and storing that data in Lucene (Solr), you're not accomplishing anything.

Are you trying to index data contained in a database using Solar for later querying?
jonnabhatla venkata
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 10, 2009
Posts: 24
David Newton wrote:
jonnabhatla venkata wrote:I know solr will do reduce the time, but I dont know how to configure this

How do you know this? Or, more accurately, why do you think this?

Solr isn't for querying tables, it's for doing full-text querying. Unless you're doing the joins "off-cycle" and storing that data in Lucene (Solr), you're not accomplishing anything.

Are you trying to index data contained in a database using Solar for later querying?



Thank you so much for you reply David...

Yes David, I am trying to index data contained in a database using solr, for this I imported tables data into solr server.
I dont know how to write query with joins.

Please help me...

Thanks & Regards,
Jonnabhatla venkata
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41137
    
  45
So this is actually a question about SQL?
David Newton
Author
Rancher

Joined: Sep 29, 2008
Posts: 12617

@Ulf: Hmm, no, because he already knows the joins are slow. Although I don't know why they'd be any less slow if they were being run from Solr.

@jonnabhatla: Again: The way you'd index data from a DB is to do the query/join, take the text (and whatever metadata you needed), feed it into Lucene to do the indexing, and query against the Lucene index--NOT the raw data, which would entirely defeat the purpose. Solr would be the same thing.
jonnabhatla venkata
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 10, 2009
Posts: 24
David Newton wrote:@Ulf: Hmm, no, because he already knows the joins are slow. Although I don't know why they'd be any less slow if they were being run from Solr.

@jonnabhatla: Again: The way you'd index data from a DB is to do the query/join, take the text (and whatever metadata you needed), feed it into Lucene to do the indexing, and query against the Lucene index--NOT the raw data, which would entirely defeat the purpose. Solr would be the same thing.


I am confusing...

Could you please explain one example for text search ?
David Newton
Author
Rancher

Joined: Sep 29, 2008
Posts: 12617

jonnabhatla venkata wrote:I am confusing...

Perhaps, but I think you meant you are "confused" ;)
Could you please explain one example for text search?

- Get data from database
- Index using Lucene (Solr)
- Search using Lucene (Solr)

Lucene indexes data up-front, making searching quicker.
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41137
    
  45
I think it would be advisable to get a solid grounding in Lucene first; knowing in-depth what it does and does not do, and how it goes about doing things in general, can make a big difference in terms of search quality and performance. The book Lucene in Action is really a must-read item if you're serious about using Lucene.
 
With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
 
subject: solr implementation
 
Similar Threads
For Solr/Lucene Lovers:- Certification Program Join Lucene Revolution 2011
Hibernate Search In Action Apache Lucene & SOLR
A Question on Lucene
Use case for Apache Solr
Download New Certified Distribution for Solr with free Solr1.4 Reference Guide