wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes great programming quotes Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of The Java EE 7 Tutorial Volume 1 or Volume 2 this week in the Java EE forum
or jQuery UI in Action in the JavaScript forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "great programming quotes" Watch "great programming quotes" New topic
Author

great programming quotes

Tim McGuire
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 30, 2003
Posts: 820

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/58640/great-programming-quotes-closed

some familiar ones, some I've never seen before. there are quite a few.
marc weber
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 31, 2004
Posts: 11343

My own fallback: "There's a reason for that."

(The key is to resist any further elaboration.)


"We're kind of on the level of crossword puzzle writers... And no one ever goes to them and gives them an award." ~Joe Strummer
sscce.org
Bert Bates
author
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 14, 2002
Posts: 8815
    
    5
Damn you Tim, I was supposed to get something done today!


Spot false dilemmas now, ask me how!
(If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much room.)
Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 16, 2007
Posts: 1374
I am going through the list of quotes and I must say there are lots of smart people on earth.


It works on my machine.


How many times you guys have heard or used this quote?

Praison Selvaraj
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 05, 2010
Posts: 49
Change is the only thing that remains constant.


SCJP, SCWCD, SCEA
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

Joined: Oct 02, 2003
Posts: 11255
    
  16

My new favorite is

"The first 90% of the code takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90%"


There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal

Joined: Jul 08, 2003
Posts: 24183
    
  34

Zawinski's Law has always been a favorite:


Every program attempts to expand until it can read mail. Those programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can.


[Jess in Action][AskingGoodQuestions]
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41599
    
  55
Ernest Friedman-Hill wrote:Zawinski's Law has always been a favorite:

That's why we're still tinkering with the forum software.


Ping & DNS - my free Android networking tools app
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal

Joined: Jul 08, 2003
Posts: 24183
    
  34

Ulf Dittmer wrote:
Ernest Friedman-Hill wrote:Zawinski's Law has always been a favorite:

That's why we're still tinkering with the forum software.


Which, I must note, can both send and receive mail!
W. Joe Smith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 10, 2009
Posts: 710
I've been guilty of saying this when looking at code I wrote some time ago:


Well, it made sense when I wrote it....


SCJA
When I die, I want people to look at me and say "Yeah, he might have been crazy, but that was one zarkin frood that knew where his towel was."
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18541
    
    8

W. Joe Smith wrote:I've been guilty of saying this when looking at code I wrote some time ago:


Well, it made sense when I wrote it....


I usually say "Jeez, what nitwit wrote this code?" Of course I always make sure it was me before saying that.
 
wood burning stoves
 
subject: great programming quotes